New Wineador - What to Know?

Started by raize, 02/14/2016 01:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

raize

So after a few months of my sole, desktop humidor overflowing, the GF has signed off on me getting a new one.  She was worried that I was trying to replace my existing Ebony Ashton Executive Boveda unit that she got me for our anniversary.  After showing her the Whytner CHC-251S, she has come around.  How does unit compare with other makes/models in the same price range? What else do I need to get to go with a Coolerdor?  What other info do I need before pulling the trigger? Is there somewhere better than Amazon to shop for one?  Thanks in advance gents.
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

McBryde

www.openbox.com is where I am getting my winedor started

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

bstessl

same here,  actually getting the same model as Emerson
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

raize

I guess I'm more curious as to general info on these guys. Is everything I need included or are other items required for them to function properly? Tips & tricks, etc.
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

McBryde

Everything I have read on them is that the shelving and stuff needs an upgrade for the storage part. The model that i am getting had wooden shelves in it, and I plan on just using the shelving I am getting from another geek here, as well as cigar boxes to store my cigars in. You will also need some sort of humidity system, weather it be kitty litter, bovedas, heartfelt beads, oasis, hydra, etc. I went with a Hydra personal size, which was like $74 shipped, and then added on 2 more fans for circulation. Altogether, I will be about $250-$275 into this adventure, but will be able to hold 25 or so boxes of cigars.

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

raize

So on something like the Whynter humidor units, do those not have humidity control built in?  Or are you talking about retrofitting a wine fridge to make it function as a humidor?  I tried opening up the openbox.com site earlier today but it looks like it was down.  I'll have to check back in.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

MacMac

I don't think they do. Just temp control. You need to add humidly control.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

raize

So other than the shelving, how are they any different than a wine fridge? Or aren't they?
- Frank Lloyd Wright

McBryde

ntanner

Quoteraize - 2/15/2016  5:55 PM

So other than the shelving, how are they any different than a wine fridge? Or aren't they?
Ahum, They hold cigars instead of wine, Duhh! :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

raize

So other than the Oasis and Hydra units, are there any others on the market?
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Vroomp

You could always put about ten of these in it~!  :biggrin:

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

c9belayer

I use a 1/2 pound of Heartfelt beads on the floor of Whyntermute and another little tube-thing of beads on the top shelf because I like overkill. It works GREAT and requires near-zero maintenance (2-3 squirts of DI water every 3-4 weeks - and I'm in it every day). Remember that unlike wooden desktop humidors, these coolidors are sealed - once things have settled, they don't really loose moisture until you open the door, so they're pretty stable over time.

-- c9belayer

SparklePony

I use KL in both of my wineadors and they hold rock steady at 64% (which is where I like them).  They need a week of seasoning first, but after that they're the best thing going.  No need to spend money (and waste space) with the active systems in something of this size.
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

vw77guy

I just got my wineadore settled in and all I'm using is crystals.  I was running four desktops so I just put everything including the humi pucks, sticks and jars in to the cooler.  It took a little over a week for things to equalize, but I've been sitting around 69 for a few weeks.  I was under the impression as well that you would need an oasis or something to move air around, but it doesn't appear that way.  I've even put several hydrometers around to check humidity at all rack heights and things are pretty good.  Just slightly higher at the bottom.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.