Humidification method for Wine-a-dor Poll

Started by bstessl, 02/14/2016 03:19 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Humidification method for Wine-a-dor  Poll

Kitty Litter
5 (100%)

Total Members Voted: 12

bstessl

How do you Geeks with existing Wine-a-dors humidify your stock?  

There has been some discussion lately about this and I have a 32 bottle Wine cooler on its way.

Let me know any thoughts/tips you can!  Thanks!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

McBryde

I think we are going to have the absolute same setup Brian! I went with that hydra as well, but bought 2 of the extra fans to go in mine to move air.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

McBryde

I'm not gonna answer this poll, as I don't have it yet, but am definitely watching how this poll goes!

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

bstessl

SenorPablo

Kitty Litter works ok but you need a lot more of it.  I spent more and bought beads.  I've had them in use now for 7 or 8 years now and they still work great.  The kitty litter I had disintegrated over a year or 2 and needed to be replaced, but it is much cheaper.  I just found the beads very low maintenance.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

DonM

I don't have a Winador so I won't vote, but my suggestion would be going a oasis or hydra with some beads to stabilize RH swings when opening and closing.  

"The Curmudgeon"

Mojo66

My wine-a-dor is only 2.5 cubic feet so passive humidification is plenty. It really is semi-passive anyways with the fans moving air around ;-).

They have a really tight seal so maintaining them is a breeze.

"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

jharrisx5

Puff Puff Give....

McBryde

I think I might use some kitty litter in mine, or some of the gel stuff to help regulate it better. I am definitely going to have some sort of catch tray for the water that condenses off of the piece that runs back into the hydra.

E

Robert LG

I've had two Wineadors on kitty litter for several years now.  I spritz them with DW a couple of times a year and that's it. I keep one at about 68% RH and the other around 65. Zero issues with KL here.
Rob

wescat

I'm not $hitting on your poll, just wanted to add a data point that in some parts of the country, adding moisture is not the prevalent issue with a "wineador".
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

bstessl

Quotewescat - 2/18/2016  7:49 PM

I'm not $hitting on your poll, just wanted to add a data point that in some parts of the country, adding moisture is not the prevalent issue with a "wineador".
Please elaborate...???

McBryde

Quotebstessl - 2/19/2016  12:12 AM

Please elaborate...???

I would think that being in south Louisiana, he might be talking about having to get rid of some humidity in one?

E

wescat

QuoteMcBryde - 2/19/2016  12:33 AM

Quotebstessl - 2/19/2016  12:12 AM

Please elaborate...???

I would think that being in south Louisiana, he might be talking about having to get rid of some humidity in one?

E

Emerson got it right.

The cabinet I built has a hermetic seal on the door, just like a wineador does. I never have to add water to the cabinet, I have to remove water. Due to living in south Louisiana: it's humid here, all the time.

I use the setup pictured below for de-humidification. I freeze water in the Folgers container, and place it in a small pie plate. I put this device on the top shelf of my cabinet, which has a continuously running circulation fan. The excess moisture condenses on the sides of the Folgers container, runs down into the pie pan, and I remove it. Re-iterate until I get the %RH reduction required.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

bstessl

wescat

And I pull a data set once per month, to determine if I need to de-humidify. I use a Lascar data logger: http://www.lascarelectronics.com/temperaturedatalogger.php?datalogger=386
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

c9belayer

Bravo to Wescat! A great scientific (geeky?) solution that works and is cheap!
-- c9belayer

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.