Humidor Cigar Configuration help!

Started by okieeagle, 02/23/2016 04:00 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

okieeagle

hey geeks, got a question for ya'll.  But first it's all your fault I'm even asking it, because before I got on this site I didn't have a problem with my humidor overloading!!  So thanks for that!

Anyway, my question is this.  Is there some super secret squirrel method of configuring your cigars so that a 500 count humidor will hold more than 230, or a 250 count humidor will hold more than a hundred?  I mean, I realize those counts are made for a particular size, right?  But damn, I can't get more than half the count in either one.

Thanks guys,

okieeagle
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

gitfiddl

From the guy that has too many desktop humidors and a shyteload of pipe tobacco stored in mason jars, just deal with it!

The fact is that a 500 hundred count humidor will only hold as many cigars as you let your wife know you've purchased.  The second humidor you buy will hold only half that amount.

Get it?  Shake your head up and down and say "Yes".

:biggrin:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

ninfiction

Yeah what git said...the reality is that the stated numbers are never realistic and are based on small cigars not churchills.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

headfirst

Unless you smoke petite coronas you're never getting to capacity, but it does sound like your ratio is a little low.  What kind of humi do you have?
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

appollo

It is a problem that we have all encountered.Buy yourself a bigger one :biggrin:

Ted

:lmao:

My tower is sold as a 3000 unit. I'm a little shy of 1500, and don't think I'd be comfortable with more than adding another 200-300. Already out of room. :(

NebNorse

Just save your self the trouble and get a tower.  It will save you pain in the long run.  :)
"I'll come back as soon as I can with as much as I can. In the meantime, you've got to hold!" - As spoken to General Wainright by General MacArthur in March of 1942

My Cigar smells better than YOUR FEEDLOT!

bmac7754

I do believe they base the counts on coronas.  I have several 100 count humidors that get pretty stuffed with 60 or so normal size cigars.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

Rebecca Silverwolf

Yes, humidor capacity numbers are based off of corona sized cigars. If you have larger cigars, and I will bet most of them are robusto size or bigger, the humidor will fit a lot fewer sticks. There is no way of getting around this, unless you find a humidor that is also a TARDIS.

Coolidors are a decent, inexpensive, way to get a lot of storage.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

Ted

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 2/23/2016  10:47 PM  ...unless you find a humidor that is also a TARDIS...

Now that would make one hell of an awesome entrance for a walk-in humidor!

C130Driver

I'm not sure how you have it configured, but if you haven't already done so you can squeeze a few more in by turning them sideways behind your vertical rows. Also, if you smoke more often that could help. Or hell, send some to me, I'll store them for you. :biggrin:
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

Jackal

Here are some quick calculations as to how much more humidor space various vitolas take up (based strictly on the volume of the cigars, not accounting for lost area due to everything not fitting exactly) vs a corona (5.5x42)

Robustos (5x50): 28.8%
Toros (6x50): 54.6%
Churchills (7x50): 80.4%
Double Coronas (7.62x50): 96.4% (a double corona really does take up the space of two coronas)
Lanceros (7.5x38): 11.6%
Lonsdales (6.5x42) 18.2%

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Jackal

QuoteTed - 2/24/2016  6:05 AM

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 2/23/2016  10:47 PM  ...unless you find a humidor that is also a TARDIS...

Especially if it played the Dr. Who theme every time you opened it.

Scap

QuoteJackal - 2/24/2016  11:59 AM

QuoteTed - 2/24/2016  6:05 AM

Especially if it played the Dr. Who theme every time you opened it.

It would sure be a pain to humidify since it is so much bigger on the inside....  :dancing:

Ted

Well if I ever remodel my basement and build the smoking lounge I want, I'm going to hide it behind a blue police box (with theme music)!

:biggrin:

05Venturer

How much room is considered for "cello on" vs "cello off"  :whistle:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

clami

I love my Tupperdor / desktop humidor combo.  Tupperdor is great for mass storage - room for lots of boxes and perfect humidity.  150 count desktop looks nice, and I keep 50-60 smokes that are ready to go in that.  Every week or two, rotate some around between the two.  Very inexpensive and effective.  Just my 2 cents.

Jackal

Quote05Venturer - 2/26/2016  10:22 AM

How much room is considered for "cello on" vs "cello off"  :whistle:

You could get a micrometer, measure the thickness of the cello and do the math.  But, life if too short for that kind of mental masturbation.

C130Driver

If I owned a micrometer I would actually get one out and measure it; you've made me curious.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

okieeagle

QuoteC130Driver - 2/26/2016  7:13 PM  If I owned a micrometer I would actually get one out and measure it; you've made me curious.

:lmao:  :lmao:
"I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em." - Ron White

okieeagle

Quotegitfiddl - 2/23/2016  6:19 PM  From the guy that has too many desktop humidors and a shyteload of pipe tobacco stored in mason jars, just deal with it!  The fact is that a 500 hundred count humidor will only hold as many cigars as you let your wife know you've purchased.  The second humidor you buy will hold only half that amount.  Get it?  Shake your head up and down and say "Yes".   :biggrin:  

okieeagle

Quoteheadfirst - 2/23/2016  6:39 PM  Unless you smoke petite coronas you're never getting to capacity, but it does sound like your ratio is a little low.  What kind of humi do you have?

Sorry for the late reply, it's been a long week. 

http://www.stogiefresh.info/edu-humidors/articles/geneve-500-ct-humidor.html

The other was was going to be a 250 ct desktop, but I ended up buying another 300ct smaller cabinet.

Thanks.

Cheers and Happy Smoking

okieeagle

okieeagle

QuoteRebecca Silverwolf - 2/23/2016  11:47 PM  Yes, humidor capacity numbers are based off of corona sized cigars. If you have larger cigars, and I will bet most of them are robusto size or bigger, the humidor will fit a lot fewer sticks. There is no way of getting around this, unless you find a humidor that is also a TARDIS.  Coolidors are a decent, inexpensive, way to get a lot of storage.

ROFL, hmmm, wonder if that can be converted....

okieeagle

QuoteC130Driver - 2/24/2016  8:04 AM  I'm not sure how you have it configured, but if you haven't already done so you can squeeze a few more in by turning them sideways behind your vertical rows. Also, if you smoke more often that could help. Or hell, send some to me, I'll store them for you. :biggrin:

Hey, now there's an idea...

SparklePony

QuoteJackal - 2/24/2016  1:54 PM  Here are some quick calculations as to how much more humidor space various vitolas take up (based strictly on the volume of the cigars, not accounting for lost area due to everything not fitting exactly) vs a corona (5.5x42)  Robustos (5x50): 28.8% Toros (6x50): 54.6% Churchills (7x50): 80.4% Double Coronas (7.62x50): 96.4% (a double corona really does take up the space of two coronas) Lanceros (7.5x38): 11.6% Lonsdales (6.5x42) 18.2%

What are you?  An (idiot) savant?  :shy:
Yes, it's a pineapple hat.  No, you can't put your cigar out in it.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.