Fun with Cobs! (or Making a Purse from a Sow's Ear)

Started by gitfiddl, 03/06/2016 10:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

gitfiddl

Oh, the humble corn cob pipe!  They seem to be one of those "love them or hate them" things in "Smokedom".  Personally I dig them.  I've got 20-30 really nice briar pipes, and probably 50 cobs.  I'm afraid to lay them all out and take inventory for fear the wife would catch me and have a real conniption fit.  For those unfamiliar with that Southern term, suffice it to say it wouldn't be pretty.  :-0  But I digress.  I find myself grabbing a cob over a briar more often than not when I want to smoke a pipe

Mistakes are made in pipe-making, just like in anything else.  Or sometimes, the finished product just doesn't turn out "just right".  Most briar pipe makers either toss those, or sell them as seconds or "basket pipes".  Missouri Meerschaum, the undisputed king of cob manufacturers, does the same thing but different.  They offer a "10 Pipe Grab Bag of Smokable Seconds" for around $40/shipped.  I've picked up a couple over the last few years.  Some are downright ugly, with chips on the rim, too much lacquer and/or plaster, but as advertised, they have all been smokable and worth the money.  I've picked up some real gems, though, including a Cobbit, a General, and a couple of acorn Diplomats (no longer made) in the first grab-bag I ordered.  

The less-attractive ones get relegated to smoking while grilling, mowing the grass, and general "yard-gar" duties.  The better looking pipes I play around with.  One of the biggest complaints about cobs from "briar purists" are that cobs are just too rustic and simple looking. I beg to differ.  This is a "Country Gentleman" out of the last grab bag I ordered.  A little Fiebing's burgundy leather dye, a 50 cent amber stem...
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

McBryde

Nice pipe David! I really need to get a Missouri Meershum cob pipe to try out. I've seen that you get estate pipes and refurbish them as well. Do you by chance have any refurbished Missouri Meershums you'd part with? Maybe we could work out a trade if so?

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

millarddj

I'd like to try a cob - that one looks pretty handsome. I reckon I better learn to pack my pipe properly first though...
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

gitfiddl

QuoteMcBryde - 3/6/2016  8:21 PM

Nice pipe David! I really need to get a Missouri Meershum cob pipe to try out. I've seen that you get estate pipes and refurbish them as well. Do you by chance have any refurbished Missouri Meershums you'd part with? Maybe we could work out a trade if so?

E

I've got a couple "gently smoked" cobs I could clean up and put a new bit in for you, I reckon.

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

gitfiddl

Quotemillarddj - 3/7/2016  10:05 AM

I'd like to try a cob - that one looks pretty handsome. I reckon I better learn to pack my pipe properly first though...

There's the one I put in the LMAO pass for you, if it's still in the box.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.