Butane, oh lovely butane!

Started by GrouchoM, 03/06/2016 09:28 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrouchoM

I don't have one of those fancy torches so many of you have. Just a Ronson Jetlite, but scored this in my local grocer today. A small can of Zippo Premium butane lighter fluid, but for a nube...scratching the itch.

I normally have the guys at my former B&M give me courtesy refills on butane, but will checking out of line in my local grocer and I noticed this little gem and priced just right ($2.25 tax included) . Only bottle left (1.48 oz), but a good simple addition to my growing stockpile of cigar accessories. Will hold in reserve on those time I don't want to make the 17 minute drive.

Hey, I'm a newb. Small steps, small victories...also I'm cheap.
The secret word is cigars!

McBryde

Welcome to the cheapo site! We are a frugal bunch around here. Make sure it is filtered well, or it will clog up your lighter over time.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

tvolball

QuoteMcBryde - 3/7/2016  2:33 AM

Welcome to the cheapo site! We are a frugal bunch around here. Make sure it is filtered well, or it will clog up your lighter over time.

:word: I know first hand. Cheap fuel is not always a great deal. It will ruin a good lighter
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Cfickter

:word:

Quotetvolball - 3/7/2016 6:34 AM
QuoteMcBryde - 3/7/2016 2:33 AM Welcome to the cheapo site! We are a frugal bunch around here. Make sure it is filtered well, or it will clog up your lighter over time. :word: I know first hand. Cheap fuel is not always a great deal. It will ruin a good lighter

:word: X2
Butane is one product where you get what you pay for!

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

benchjockey

Add me to the list of those who believe in buying high quality pure butane.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

bmac7754

I bought cheaper butane once and it clogged my lighter within the week and had to throw it away. I only use Xikar fluid and have never had a problem. Spend the couple extra bucks.
"It's not the size of the dog in the fight, it's the size of the fight in the dog." - Mark Twain

gitfiddl

You should be okay with dimestore brand butane in a Ronson Jetlite.  They're pretty forgiving about what you feed them.  I would guess it's because the tolerances the innards are made to aren't as tight as more expensive lighters.  I've lost more Jetlites than I have had fail on me.  But Ronson and Zippo butane will eventually clog a more expensive lighter.  I bought a two cans of this Vector stuff a while back for $15 or so and have had no issues with any of my lighters.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

appollo

I've been using cheap butane and been cleaning my lighters with compressed air and alcohol before every fill up.I just bought some good stuff haven't tried it yet.Hoping it makes a difference. :biggrin:

GrouchoM

While out trolling for cuvry redheads, but what did I spy with my little eye, but a cache of Zippo premium butane refill canisters selling for $1.39. Hotcha Mamma,  it's true what that say "that you create your own luck!" These canisters were prices .80 less than the single can I bought a few days back ($2.19). I purchased one can and will be taking my previous purchase back. What can I say, I'm a value shopper. Hell, I remember returning  a blonde, for a brunette when she order a more expensive appetizer once, best decision I ever made.
The secret word is cigars!

Ken Kelley

I don't see a thing wrong with using cheap Ronson fuel in a cheap Ronson JetLite! I've done it for years. If one of the lighters misbehaves I just toss it. Flame is flame and I don't need a flashy lighter filled with triple distilled unicorn farts to light a fine cigar.  :biggrin:
Guru of Benign Curmudgeonliness, Imperfect Patience, and Reluctant Toleration.

vw77guy

That's what we sell at the shop.  I fill all our house lighters with that and have for about a year.  No issues at all.  Gotta love Vector.

DonM

Vector and Jetline are 5 times refined and available in alot of B&M's.  I bought a can of Ronson in a pinch because I was on vacation and ran out.  I still have that can as a backup, used it once in 6 months.  I will say those Jetlites will burn just about anything

"The Curmudgeon"

Brlesq

QuoteGrouchoM - 3/10/2016  1:51 AM

While out trolling for cuvry redheads, but what did I spy with my little eye, but a cache of Zippo premium butane refill canisters selling for $1.39. Hotcha Mamma,  it's true what that say "that you create your own luck!" These canisters were prices .80 less than the single can I bought a few days back ($2.19). I purchased one can and will be taking my previous purchase back. What can I say, I'm a value shopper. Hell, I remember returning  a blonde, for a brunette when she order a more expensive appetizer once, best decision I ever made.

While out trolling another cigar forum, what did I spy with my little eye, but the exact same thread by GrouchoM including the same canned responses, verbatim. Our relationship with you is still new but your already cheating on us?  :confused:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

05Venturer

QuoteBrlesq - 3/10/2016  8:04 AM

QuoteGrouchoM - 3/10/2016  1:51 AM

While out trolling another cigar forum, what did I spy with my little eye, but the exact same thread by GrouchoM including the same canned responses, verbatim. Our relationship with you is still new but your already cheating on us?  :confused:

Whore  :biggrin:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.