Bargain whiskies I recently discovered

Started by calvarez, 03/28/2016 06:30 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calvarez

I love high end Scotch, but I'm not wealthy enough to always drink an $80+ bottle.  So I'm always experimenting with bottles in the everyday-drinking price range.

Stranahan's Tin Cup, $25 at the grocery store:  A Bourbon-style whiskey from colorado.  Clearly related to but different from regular Stranahan's.  Smooth, sweet, and lightly spicy.  Paired quite well with a few sticks.

Alberta Rye Dark Batch, $29 at Bevmo:  I'm not a Canadian fan, but was intrigued by the crazy color and relatively high ABV for a cheap bottle.  My friend and I were shocked at how awesome it is.  Seriously flavorful, smooth drink, with a lot of dark fruit flavors and spice.  Excellent whisky at any price.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Scap

If you can find it, Bulleit is cheap and tastes great.

ninfiction

Monkey Shoulder is a popular one on the google herfs. I'm not a whiskey drinker by any means but I found it pretty tasty myself.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

StogieDad

I have a bottle of Tin Cup, my second one.  Very nice for the price, easy drinking for sure.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

05Venturer

Eagle Rare, Ancient Age & Evan Williams Single barrel are my go to bourbons
Monkey Shoulder favorite Scotch thus far
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Joelala

Quoteninfiction - 3/29/2016  10:20 AM

Monkey Shoulder is a popular one on the google herfs. I'm not a whiskey drinker by any means but I found it pretty tasty myself.

I am almost exclusive to monkey shoulder as my bargain drink to keep in the house. Blended but taste like a single malt.
Joe

calvarez

Quoteninfiction - 3/29/2016  5:20 AM

Sorry to say, but I hate it.  Found it nearly undrinkable.  I love Scotch, but that's on my list of maybe five that I simply don't ever want to drink again.

Bulleit is a standard in my house.  Costco sells it at a CRAZY low price.

-- Me

Brlesq

Quotecalvarez - 3/29/2016  3:49 PM

Quoteninfiction - 3/29/2016  5:20 AM

Sorry to say, but I hate it.  Found it nearly undrinkable.  I love Scotch, but that's on my list of maybe five that I simply don't ever want to drink again.

Bulleit is a standard in my house.  Costco sells it at a CRAZY low price.

Maybe you're confusing the liquors and because you really do hate Scotch (like Monkey Shoulder), because every bottle you've said you like in this thread is either a bourbon or a rye, but you haven't listed a single Scotch?  :confused:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

calvarez

Hah, no, I'm in a pretty serious Scotch-tasting group, so I am confident I like Scotch.  I drink way too much of it, really.

In the bargain Scotch category, there just aren't as many.  Scotch just costs more.  My local Costco always has an awesome Scotch dirt cheap, but that's only some stores in Phoenix apparently.  Like right now they have the Laphroiag 10 for $30!  I prefer the cask strength, but that's nearly $60.  Normally however the non-cask version is around $50.  Previously they had Talisker Storm for the same price.  Can't wait to see what shows up next.

In bargain Scotch, the things I've found tend to be less available, so it doesn't help anyone to talk about them.

-- Me

Scap

Thanks for the tip on checking Costco.

I usually buy the "five gallon" bottle of Woodford Reserve there, but will keep my eyes peeled.

calvarez

Five gallon...yeah me too sometimes, along with Bulleit, and their house Bourbon which is excellent too.

-- Me

Scap

Five gallon is a stretch, but not by much.  
The bottle they carry is huge. ;)

DRuff

So based on this you like the peaty scotches. Explains why you wouldn't like the wonderful flavors of Monkey Shoulder. I personally find Laphroiag undrinkable, tastes always vary I guess.

Quotecalvarez - 3/29/2016  6:31 PM  Hah, no, I'm in a pretty serious Scotch-tasting group, so I am confident I like Scotch.  I drink way too much of it, really.  In the bargain Scotch category, there just aren't as many.  Scotch just costs more.  My local Costco always has an awesome Scotch dirt cheap, but that's only some stores in Phoenix apparently.  Like right now they have the Laphroiag 10 for $30!  I prefer the cask strength, but that's nearly $60.  Normally however the non-cask version is around $50.  Previously they had Talisker Storm for the same price.  Can't wait to see what shows up next.  In bargain Scotch, the things I've found tend to be less available, so it doesn't help anyone to talk about them.  

Otter

Quoteninfiction - 3/29/2016  11:20 AM

Used to be a bargain at $29 now you are lucky to find it for $43 or so...
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Jackal

QuoteOtter - 3/30/2016  2:04 PM

Quoteninfiction - 3/29/2016  11:20 AM

Used to be a bargain at $29 now you are lucky to find it for $43 or so...

My local Total Wine and BevMo both have it for $29.99 in a 750ml.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

calvarez

I have a fondness for peaty, but also for super sweet sherried Scotch and many other flavors.  I love the Port Charlotte unpeated, which is more of a straw and cereal flavor, unique.  I'm a Scotch whore, really.

I have a special bottle coming tomorrow that has zero peat and should be crazy sweet sherry, 20 years old.

-- Me

calvarez

And actually I recall another issue I have with it.  It's just too watered down.  I prefer cask strength, and find 46% to be marginal.  At 40%, Monkey Shoulder squarely hits my "boring" button.

Now I said almost undrinkable, the two that are firmly in that range are Pendleton and Ardbeg Coryvrecken.  The latter is so bad that I served it to unsuspecting people who were already drunk as hell, at 1am, at my boat, and they spit it out.  The Pendleton lasted over a year in my house before I'd given away enough "try this awful stuff" glasses to be rid of it.  That one was voted the worst whisky ever by my tasting group.

-- Me

DRuff

My favorites are:

Balvenie DoubleWood
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Aberlour 12
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or

05Venturer

Quotecalvarez - 3/30/2016  4:42 PM

And actually I recall another issue I have with it.  It's just too watered down.  I prefer cask strength, and find 46% to be marginal.  At 40%, Monkey Shoulder squarely hits my "boring" button.

Now I said almost undrinkable, the two that are firmly in that range are Pendleton and Ardbeg Coryvrecken.  The latter is so bad that I served it to unsuspecting people who were already drunk as hell, at 1am, at my boat, and they spit it out.  The Pendleton lasted over a year in my house before I'd given away enough "try this awful stuff" glasses to be rid of it.  That one was voted the worst whisky ever by my tasting group.

Pendleton is absolutely awful  :barf:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

calvarez

QuoteDRuff - 3/30/2016  12:09 PM

My favorites are:

Balvenie DoubleWood
Balvenie Caribbean Cask
Aberlour 12
Aberlour A'Bunadh
Glenmorangie Nectar D'Or

I can't fault any of those.  Not sure about favorites, but certainly high on the list.  Oh yeah, Glenmorangie...a regular favorite here.  Especially since Total Wine has the regular basic one for $27.  That's a real bargain.

-- Me

MacMac

I haven't purchased Scotch in a LONG time. I used to love it. I think I'll give Bulleit a try.
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Joelala

Always looking for a bagain here as well. Monkey is only 29.99 at my local liquor barn. However I would also like variety at that price range but I think realistically I wont find much variety in scotch.
Joe

calvarez

QuoteJoelala - 3/31/2016  4:13 AM
I think realistically I wont find much variety in scotch.

Depends on where you live.  Here in Phoenix we seem to have a pretty huge variety at places like Costco and Total Wine.  I've been to areas that have terrible selection and/or awful pricing.  I was in a GA town recently where the stuff I pay $30 for was seriously $50 there.

Also, K&L Wine has some amazing deals, if you live where they can ship.  Or have people who can re-ship, I have my brother in CA re-ship it to me, which is pretty cheap.  For example one bottle I picked up from them for $80 costs $120 here.  Total ship/re-ship cost was about $20 for six bottles.

-- Me

Jackal

Quotecalvarez - 3/31/2016  9:30 AM

Or have people who can re-ship, I have my brother in CA re-ship it to me, which is pretty cheap.  For example one bottle I picked up from them for $80 costs $120 here.  Total ship/re-ship cost was about $20 for six bottles.

Just don't get caught shipping through USPS.  It is a federal offense both concerning both postal code and 49CFR.  They will probably just seize your package and send you a nasty letter.  However, if they want to be hard-asses about it, they could impose fines and recommendation for jail time.

:martini:

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

calvarez

I would never violate the law.  Never.  It's just cleaning fluid after all.  I think you can ship cleaning fluids?

It's funny, Flaviar (an overseas seller) ships 100% of its orders via USPS.  They come from their postal service (Croatia?  Slovenia?) to ours.  My friend gets them all the time and has answered a casual question about the contents.  The postal person laughed and said it's illegal, here's your package, enjoy.

-- Me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.