"A fine cigar is like a fine woman. They come in all shapes and sizes. Treat them tenderly and lovingly. Caress their skin, admire their beauty, fondle them with reverence. Bring them slowly to your lips, enjoy their flavor, their aroma. Contemplate their essence, their dependability, and forgive them their weaknesses - if there be any. Revel in the rituals, their simplicity and their enduring meanings. Do these things, my son, and the blessings of life shall always be upon you." -Prince Sined Yar Maharg

Main Menu

How rare are the Viaje Zombies?

Started by tjm0831, 03/31/2016 07:19 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm0831

My local B&M just got in a 2 boxes of Viaje Zombie, one red and one green.  I don't know too much about Viaje, just started smoking some of their stuff (which was damned impressive), but my retailer told me that I should just buy both the boxes because of how "in demand" they were.  Apparently the boxes will move very fast.  He wants over MSRP for them $280 plus tax each.  I don't know what the going price for these is (considering their rarity), nor would I even know which one would be better (red or green).  He doesn't want to open either box either.  What do you guys think?

Jackal

Quotetjm0831 - 3/31/2016  8:19 AM

My local B&M just got in a 2 boxes of Viaje Zombie, one red and one green.  I don't know too much about Viaje, just started smoking some of their stuff (which was damned impressive), but my retailer told me that I should just buy both the boxes because of how "in demand" they were.  Apparently the boxes will move very fast.  He wants over MSRP for them $280 plus tax each.  I don't know what the going price for these is (considering their rarity), nor would I even know which one would be better (red or green).  He doesn't want to open either box either.  What do you guys think?

He wants 33% over retail.  That is pretty steep (especially with taxes added to the increased price).

I don't think that I would bite on these.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

McBryde

Seen them going for around $230.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

jharrisx5

Green is criollo

Red is maduro

They are pretty damn good cigars, and hard to find, but he's gouging...it would make me not want to buy anything from him
Puff Puff Give....

tjm0831

Yeah, it was actually the first time I've been to that shop.  It isn't far from me, but I have loyalties to the shop closest to me.  But I figured I would check out the new place.  I bought some of the Antidotes, which he didn't mind opening ($10.90 a piece).  He said that he had just gotten the Zombies in and that they weren't in his system, but when he told me the price I was put off.  I hadn't priced the sticks prior to going into the shop (I didn't know what he was going to have), but it seemed high.  I guess that it is possible that he told me the wrong price because they weren't in the system, but I don't know.  I even considered going back to the shop today and confronting him with the retail price.  See what he says.

McBryde

Heck yeah he wanted you to buy both boxes at that price, LOL. He'll have some uneducated idiot come in there and buy them for that price just because they have a high price tag on them. You'd be suprized! If you confront him about the price on them, you better be ready to buy them if he drops the price for you, LOL.

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

toby2

Viaje has major quality issue of late.

tjm0831

Had a conference in Baton Rouge and hit a B&M there.  The prices weren't a whole lot better, but I figured it was worth it for individual purchases.  $13.99 for the Zombies loose.  They also had an entire wall of Viaje rare stuff.  Picked up this Skull & Bones and Roman Candle too!  Was tempted by a few others!

:dancing:

Brlesq

MSRP this year is actually 5% less than last year's release.  MSRP is $210.  Some places will charge more if they think they can get it.  In a quick one minute search I found them for $205 in stock.  The extra $75 is a big premium for loyalty to a shop!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

McBryde

QuoteBrlesq - 4/1/2016  6:05 PM
 The extra $75 is a big premium for loyalty to a shop!

Pretty bad when you have to pay "loyalty" fees to a shop!

E

toby2

QuoteMcBryde - 4/1/2016  11:50 PM  
QuoteBrlesq - 4/1/2016  6:05 PM  The extra $75 is a big premium for loyalty to a shop!
Pretty bad when you have to pay "loyalty" fees to a shop!  E

Sweetbriar  around here is like that. they keep the good stuff hidden away and if you ask for it and they are willing to sell it you end up getting ripped off. sad.

live4cigars

Nice stash! What's the name of that shop? I'd be interested in some rare Viaje.

tjm0831

Chrism305

A guy not too far from me is the only CT Viaje retailer. What he told me is that he can't just order stuff, like 4 boxes of A and 2 boxes of B. hey send him what they want and he sells them. I think that is what adds to the rarity factor. I go to this guy quite a bit so he shaves some off the sticker for me, not much because the next closest retailer is hundreds of miles away. A captive audience.

Online as things come into stock they move quickly but I think it is because they are doled out so sparingly.

I keep them around for a while before putting flame to them so I can't comment on recent quality, I can only say that I find them as tasty as anything else.

Mojo66

I'm sorry but a B&M that refuses to open a box so that I can at least look at the cigars I'm buying will not get my business.

Plus that markup is a bit over the top.
"Life's too short to smoke bad cigars."

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.