Cigar Jars

Started by tjm0831, 04/20/2016 07:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

tjm0831

I just ordered my first cigar jar.  Any of you have experience with this type of storage?  Any tips?  They are cheap and a pretty neat way to store, but I just don't know about the functionality.  Anyway, any thoughts would be appreciated.  I plan to use with 1 large Boveda pack per 25ct jar.

headfirst

I have had a couple of these for a couple years.  The seal is actually near perfect and there's no absorption into wood, so you won't need a large boveda, a small travel size one will do the job easily.  I actually developed mold when I didn't realize I was overhumidifying things in there, so less is more on these.  I do like the visibility of these, very easy to keep your eye on how they're doing.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

quickme

i've got 3 jars and I really like them.  I have 1 thats a bomb jar for bomb sticks and the other 2 i put HTF sticks.  You can put 1 large bovey in or a small one works also.   I open them at least 2 times a year.   I get my jars from wally mart so in case you wanna get more theres an alternative.

ninfiction

I agree with the other guys, a small Boveda is plenty. I have a jar that I keep my wife's cigars in, she likes those infused CAO. I try to open it up at least once a month if she's not been smoking just to get some fresh air in there.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

tjm0831

Thanks for the tips.  I'll load up the first jar and put in a small Boveda and a hydrometer.  See how that works.

quickme

I forgot to mention.  If you do use a small bovey.  Use doublesided tape and tape it to the lid, assuming the lid is wide enough.  Gives more room and I have a sheet of cedar in there ( inside of a tubo)  I don't think it does anything.

calvarez

Is this basically a mason jar with humidification and cedar?  That's what I used to use as a travel humidor.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

headfirst

Acrylic but yeah, same idea.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

calvarez

It worked pretty well for me, except they beat up the sticks if put into airline luggage or just sitting in my Jeep on an off-road trip.  That's why I went to the foam-lined travel humidors.  Now it makes me want to make one to set on the counter as a display item for the prettier sticks...
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

tjm0831

Ok. Been having this jar filled with knock around sticks for a couple weeks. It is a Prestige acrylic jar. My only problem so far is that I can't get rid of the plastic smell. Any suggestions?

ninfiction

I've heard a good scrubbing with dawn dish soap works. Sometimes you just have to air them out for a while though with nothing in them. You could try putting some pieces of cedar sheet in there too. The flat ones some boxes of cigars come with.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

quickme

Fill it with newspaper for a couple days or with a bag of coffee beans and it should take the smell away.   I wouldn't recommend any soap as it leaves a perfume odor inside of the jar.   Cedar pieces from tubos is also good.

tjm0831

Thanks for the tips. I put a big pice of cedar (sheet from a box) when I loaded the unit. Don't think it made much difference for me though  :confused:   I didn't use soap, because it came with a cedar lined bottom. I guess I could take that out to get it good and clean though. Quickme, when you talk about newspaper or coffee beans, do you mean I should seal those things in there for a couple of days or put them in and let it air out with them inside?

quickme

Quotetjm0831 - 5/20/2016  8:04 AM

Thanks for the tips. I put a big pice of cedar (sheet from a box) when I loaded the unit. Don't think it made much difference for me though  :confused:   I didn't use soap, because it came with a cedar lined bottom. I guess I could take that out to get it good and clean though. Quickme, when you talk about newspaper or coffee beans, do you mean I should seal those things in there for a couple of days or put them in and let it air out with them inside?

you can leave it open or have it sealed.  The main thing is have the newspaper stuffed in there good.   As for coffee, a hand full is good and just close the jar.  I often put coffee beans in my Car Stinky ashtray to kill the smell of cigars in my car.    Remember to post a picture of it when you're done.   All this jar talk has gotten me thinking.  I think I'm going to start another one shortly.   I really like how sticks look in them.  

tjm0831

Put newspaper in here a few days ago.  I couldn't get the cedar out of the bottom, so I decided not to wash it.  I'm thinking I'll take out the newspaper this weekend and take a whiff!

quickme

Quotetjm0831 - 5/27/2016  9:17 AM

Put newspaper in here a few days ago.  I couldn't get the cedar out of the bottom, so I decided not to wash it.  I'm thinking I'll take out the newspaper this weekend and take a whiff!

thats going to look bad ass when you fill it with sticks!!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.