Loose pipe stem

Started by ljlemer, 01/16/2010 11:00 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ljlemer

Any pipe geeks know a home remedy for the stem fitting loosely after years of wear? The Pipe is Meerschaum and I can't smoke standing up for fear it'll fall right off and Meerschaum will crack in half or shatter if it falls to the hard ground from 5-6 ft. I tried paper. No luck. I thought maybe if I apply a thin coat of clear nail polish, that'll fatten the part that goes in. Any ideas?
"Tolerance becomes a crime when applied to evil".

Thomas Mann

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

DocJazzRH

How about a thin sheet of cork, or the cedar wrapper off a cigar? A small amount of glue underneath?   :confused:
Rich ()=iii=<

Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself .. J. Wagner

At least a bad conscience can make life interesting -- Kierkegaard

gitfiddl

I emailed my Dad on your behalf, Larry, to see what he has to say.  My thought is if the stem makes good contact with the bowl at the base of the joint, shim the stem with some cedar outside of the airpath.  Hell, I might even try masking tape.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

wescat

You're on the right track with the nail polish idea, as you want to increase the diameter of the male part uniformly. I just do not know how well the polish will hold up to the abrasion and heat. I would try some hi temp spray paint. Tape off everything you don't want painted, put on a couple of even, light coats and let it dry outside in direct sunlight for a few hours. It will probably deposit ~ 0.0015" per light coat. Check to see if inserting and removing abrades the paint to gage if it will be a permanent repair or not. One caution: the solvents used as carriers in the spray paint might not be compatible with the material the stem is made of.  Might work. Or think of some other material to deposit on the male part. You just do not want the heat to soften whatever you use and fuse the two pieces together.
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

ljlemer

thanks for thee ideas guys. I think I'll forget the Crazy Glue, since I need to able to remove the stem often for cleaning. I'll check out nail, not shoe polish.

Thomas Mann

Anthony

_____

ljlemer

QuoteAnthony - 1/16/2010  9:13 PM

Fixing a loose pipe stem:
http://pipedia.org/index.php?title=Pipe_care/cleaning#Fixing_a_loose_stem

Anthony, I missed your post and googled all over until I found the exact same page. I was just about to post it. Their solution worked! My stem is vulcanite. All I had to do was heat the part with a flame and it expanded!

Thomas Mann

Anthony

Very cool, glad it was an easy fix.
_____

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.