Pipe tobacco question........

Started by McBryde, 05/15/2016 06:31 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

McBryde

I was in a flea market the other day and saw a big old can of pipe tobacco that was still full. I'm wondering what shape tobacco would be after its been in a sealed can for 30 years or more. Any thoughts? I thing the 3lb can was like $40 or so, just selling for the nostalgic can. Your thoughs?

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

toby2

it's still could be good. if it was kept cool. check out Pipestud's site

dustmite

Easiest way to tell if the contents are good is to shake the tin and listen. If it thumps or doesn't make any sound, it's probably still good. If there's a rattling sound it's dried out. Do you remember what blend it was?

McBryde

I don't remember what blend it was, will have to go back and check next time I'm in that neck of the woods.

E

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

metalhead y cigarguy

Even if it's dried out some you can rehydrate it and it might still be good. That will be up to you to decide though. As long as it's not an aromatic my guess is that it's probably still good, as long as the seal wasn't broken. I've seen several people crack 20 plus year old tins and have a really enjoyable tobacco.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

shakinghorizons

Quotemetalhead y cigarguy - 8/24/2016  2:26 AM

Even if it's dried out some you can rehydrate it and it might still be good. That will be up to you to decide though. As long as it's not an aromatic my guess is that it's probably still good, as long as the seal wasn't broken. I've seen several people crack 20 plus year old tins and have a really enjoyable tobacco.

IMO, if the seal hadn't been broken, then it shouldn't be dried out. As stated above, use the shake test.

McBryde

You dug up a 3 month old post just to get another number, LOL, keep at it. You'll hit 500 before you know it!

E

metalhead y cigarguy

Actually I dug up the post, because I was in the pipe forum and was just giving my two cents on your question.   :biggrin:

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

McBryde

So what if the seal has been broken on them?

E

metalhead y cigarguy

If the seal is broken then the pipe tobacco will most likely be dried out, but that doesn't mean you can't rehydrate it and enjoy it. Its no different then rehydrating some dried out cigars. They can still be enjoyable.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.