resting after shipping

Started by freakydeakydutchman, 08/05/2016 03:47 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

freakydeakydutchman

Just a quick question here. I know that with cigars its best to let them rest a few days before you light one up for the best flavor, Is that the same for pipe tobacco?  Or can I just get a tin and enjoy right away?
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

toby2

nah. most times it's too wet to smoke right away anyway. people, especially puffers, get bite for a variety of reasons but the tobacco being too wet is right up there.

freakydeakydutchman

so if I moved the new stuff from the tins it came in to mason jars.. usually how long till its good to go?
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

millarddj

Curious to know this myself. Bite has been a major problem for me. Between that and needing to re-light frequently, my enjoyment for smoking my pipe(s) has been dampened considerably. I have all of my pipe tobacco in mason jars at this point, resting.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

ntanner

I usually load a bowl in the morning if I plan on smoking in the afternoon or sometimes I will load it the night before. I have found that letting it rest in the bowl for about 8 hours before smoking is usually sufficient. Keeping it in mason jars is good for long term storage but I will often put some back in the can they came in and leave the lid off overnight. This way I can have enough for several bowls ready to go at any given time. I just put the lid back on and set it on top of my humidor.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

gitfiddl

If you just dumped the baccy into the jars without "pseudo-canning" it like folks do when "cellaring" for long term storage, you should be good to go in jig-time, as long as you don't pack the jar too tight.  Every pipe tobacco is going to have it's sweet spot.  Experiment, Grasshopper!

:biggrin:

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

metalhead y cigarguy

I've never noticed a problem with smoking from the tin/pouch or even the bag (bulk blends), like with cigars right off the truck.  If the tobacco is to moist in the tin it's going to be moist in the tin after a wait period as well.  Most tins keep the tobacco moist for long periods of time. If the tobacco is to moist then just let it sit out for a bit (time varies depending on moisture level). Like mentioned earlier, loading a bowl in the morning for smoking in the evening can work well.  Some tobacco comes very wet, mainly aromatics, so some people pop the tin and jar the tobacco but it will keep well in a mason jar so drying time will still be needed for many tobaccos.

As for tongue bite, slow down and just lightly sip the pipe. If you are drawing on the pipe as if you are smoking a cigar you might be drawing to hard which will cause the tobacco to get super heated and burn your tongue. Remember the butt of the cigar works like a filter and you don't get the heat on your tongue whereas the pipe gives you a blast of hot smoke on your tongue. Really wet tobacco can also lead to tongue bite so drying the tobacco a bit can help, but mainly going slower and lightly sipping the pipe will help the most to prevent tongue bite.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

05Venturer

Quotemetalhead y cigarguy - 8/24/2016  3:19 AM

I've never noticed a problem with smoking from the tin/pouch or even the bag (bulk blends), like with cigars right off the truck.  If the tobacco is to moist in the tin it's going to be moist in the tin after a wait period as well.  Most tins keep the tobacco moist for long periods of time. If the tobacco is to moist then just let it sit out for a bit (time varies depending on moisture level). Like mentioned earlier, loading a bowl in the morning for smoking in the evening can work well.  Some tobacco comes very wet, mainly aromatics, so some people pop the tin and jar the tobacco but it will keep well in a mason jar so drying time will still be needed for many tobaccos.

As for tongue bite, slow down and just lightly sip the pipe. If you are drawing on the pipe as if you are smoking a cigar you might be drawing to hard which will cause the tobacco to get super heated and burn your tongue. Remember the butt of the cigar works like a filter and you don't get the heat on your tongue whereas the pipe gives you a blast of hot smoke on your tongue. Really wet tobacco can also lead to tongue bite so drying the tobacco a bit can help, but mainly going slower and lightly sipping the pipe will help the most to prevent tongue bite.

This^^^^^^^^^^^

Putting you tobacco into a sealed jar is not going to let it dry out.
Aging pipe tobacco to me is not needed at all.  Let aros dry a bit right before smoking
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

millarddj

Quotentanner - 8/5/2016  8:46 PM

I usually load a bowl in the morning if I plan on smoking in the afternoon or sometimes I will load it the night before. I have found that letting it rest in the bowl for about 8 hours before smoking is usually sufficient.

This has been the best single piece of advice that I've read on the subject. My last pipe experience was considerably more pleasant after giving this a try, and I'm doing it again today. Thanks Dave and Neal!
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.