Herf-a-dor & TSA

Started by nkowal, 10/10/2016 11:23 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

nkowal

I've used the thing for years without incident, but recently I've had my carry on searched, wiped for chemicals, and my Herf-a-dor opened the past few times I've traveled with it.

Never seemed to be an issue before, but has delayed me a few times in security traveling recently. Not a huge deal, more of a pain to have to sit there than anything else. Just a heads up for anyone flying with one, not sure if it's a recent point of emphasis or not (or DTW issue).

Camshaft83

I had an agent ask me to open mine for her a couple years ago but haven't had any problems since. Just flew to Vegas with it and had no issues.  :confused:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Vroomp

I usually travel with two or sometimes three.... Only place to ever look inside was leaving Costa Rica.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cfickter

Have not had any issues.  Travel all the time with one in my backpack
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

quickme

The only issues i've had with my travel humi's is not putting a piece of paper in the seal while flying with it.  Makes opening them tricky after a 4 hour flight.

Jackal

Mine gets searched most times in the US.   Internationally, it has been searched in the Philippines once.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nkowal

I must look shady!   :biggrin:

Gustoff

I've not had an issue internationally or domestic this far. Knock on wood...
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

toby2

mine is pretty easy to search. see through zip lock means no one has to even open the bag. the burden of proof is on you so bring banded cigars if going through customs.

Jackal

Quotetoby2 - 10/13/2016  8:45 AM

mine is pretty easy to search. see through zip lock means no one has to even open the bag. the burden of proof is on you so bring banded cigars if going through customs.

Customs has never given me any issues with cigars or rum.  I have even told them that I have cigars and or rum.  They have asked me the quantity, but have never asked me the country of origin.

nkowal

QuoteJackal - 10/13/2016  2:20 PM

Quotetoby2 - 10/13/2016  8:45 AM

Customs has never given me any issues with cigars or rum.  I have even told them that I have cigars and or rum.  They have asked me the quantity, but have never asked me the country of origin.

Same.

It's only recently domestically, and it happened to be a month where I was traveling a few times within short succession and each time my bag got searched. I was carrying lots of electronics (laptop, ipad, 2 phones, chargers, etc.) in a carry on, so I'm sure that was part of it.

calvarez

Never an issue here.  The only time I've opened it was when I told one who was a cigar smoker what it was, and he asked if I minded if he looked.  I said "professionally or for fun" and he said "fun."

I do have Precheck, don't know if that changes anything.  And I very highly recommend Precheck.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Jackal

Had mine opened in a TSA precheck line at LAX.

Gustoff

I've made it without having them searched.. usually travel with a 40ct and a 5ct. Mostly internationally though. The only thing they ever have an issue with is the V-cutter, but that only b/c no one knows what the h' it is!
"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

tjm0831

I've had to ditch a torch before, and I've had a close eye put on a guillotine cutter before... but never had a herfador opened or checked at all.  I usually just travel with a fiver though, everything else is boxes  :angel:

calvarez

Yeah, the torches are definitely illegal.  There's a contraption out there that you put on a Bic to make it a torch, and that would be legal since if they are apart, the torch part is not a torch.  It is inert.

I put my tools in checked baggage and carry my humidor.

-- Me

jagfandaddy

Just saw this post. Figured i'd chime in on my experience. The wife and I flew to Paris this past August and when I opened my checked bag(one with my herf-a-dor in it) had a note from TSA that they inspected it. On the flight back I had zero issues......of course it was empty.
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Beegerply

I've never had a problem, usually carry a 10 count and a 5.   :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

calvarez

QuoteBeegerply - 12/14/2016  7:20 AM

usually carry a 10 count and a 5.

Must be a VERY short trip.  Overnight?

-- Me

Beegerply

Quotecalvarez - 2/27/2017  10:04 PM

QuoteBeegerply - 12/14/2016  7:20 AM

usually carry a 10 count and a 5.

Must be a VERY short trip.  Overnight?

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

C130Driver

For those of you who don't know me, I'm an airline pilot, and I will tell you now trying to figure out the ways of the TSA is a waste of your time. They have rules yes, but ultimately it just comes down to where you are, who you get, and what kind of mood they're in that day. Some airports have reputations for being more or less strict. And even then, you'll find you get very different experiences depending upon who you happen to get. I've had some let things slide that are clearly against their rules, and others try to take things from me that are explicitly allowed.
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

C130Driver

Quotetoby2 - 10/13/2016  10:45 AM

By this he means bring bands from legal cigars and slip them on your Cubans before you get to customs.  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:  :whistle:
I never can understand how anyone can not smoke it deprives a man of the best part of life. With a good cigar in his mouth a man is perfectly safe, nothing can touch him, literally.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Check out my inventory http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=C130Driver

calvarez

Thomas speaks wisdom.  I used to travel a hell of a lot for business.  I had a few TSA hassles, but not since I changed how I interact with them.  I put my phone away, look them in the eye, use "hello" and "sir/ma'am," ask how they're doing, and just basically treat them with more humanity than 99% of the people they see.  The attitude back is always the same, friendly and helpful.

-- Me

C130Driver

I've got to ask... who the heck is Thomas?

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

C130Driver

Oh I just realized where that came from. Thomas Mann is the guy whose quote I have. I'm Devin. LMAO. Nice to meet you. I'm an old hand who's just been busy and not around as much as I'd like lately.

Thomas Mann

¨¨°¨°¨Ô¨°¨°¨¨

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.