Now legal to bring Cubans home from travel!

Started by ninfiction, 10/14/2016 09:28 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

ninfiction

http://www.usatoday.com/story/news/world/2016/10/14/obama-cuba-regulations-expands-trade-travel-rum-cigars/92042662/

Rum and cigars are no longer restricted and may be brought home from any international travel, not just directly from Cuba. It is still illegal to sell Cuban goods in the US, but they can be brought in for personal consumption with no restrictions.

This is not the admin you're looking for...

quickme

does that mean I can travel to the US from the GWN and bring CC sticks down without taking off the bands?

nirab

Quotequickme - 10/14/2016  11:57 AM

does that mean I can travel to the US from the GWN and bring CC sticks down without taking off the bands?

Come visit Buda and find out firsthand!!  :biggrin:  :shy:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

quickme

Quotenirab - 10/14/2016  2:23 PM

That would be amazing!!!  One day brother!

nkowal

Argh, if only prices weren't so high in Canada this would make a zip trip over the board and back completely worth it nearly all the time.

Still likely will make the a few trips now.  :dancing:

nirab

Quotequickme - 10/14/2016  1:18 PM

Quotenirab - 10/14/2016  2:23 PM

That would be amazing!!!  One day brother!

Always welcome my friend!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

millarddj

Goldurnit, I was really hoping this would be another one of those Charlieone posts.
Ex Fumo Dare Lucem

nkowal

Curious now, how much is a box of PSD4 for example, in Canada? Seems like it has to be so expensive anyway with their taxes...

quickme

Quotenkowal - 10/14/2016  5:03 PM

Curious now, how much is a box of PSD4 for example, in Canada? Seems like it has to be so expensive anyway with their taxes...

here you go buddy...   get ready for the shock of your life!!   It would be cheaper for you to travel to London ( the pound is taking a beating!) and stock up on some aged/HTF stock and bring it back

ninfiction

Quotenkowal - 10/14/2016  1:03 PM

I believe the taxes in Canada and Mexico are super high.

It's also interesting that Obama wants to make it easier to bring tobacco into the country but his Family Tobacco bs is going to really hurt the industry in the US.

nkowal

Quotequickme - 10/14/2016  5:11 PM

here you go buddy...   get ready for the shock of your life!!   It would be cheaper for you to travel to London ( the pound is taking a beating!) and stock up on some aged/HTF stock and bring it back

:lmao:  :cry:

Oh man.

It's been a while since I've been to Windsor, given that it's only about a 40 minute drive it seemed like a good idea, but yikes.

quickme

http://www.casablancatobacconist.com/Ccigar.html

****forgot to add the link******

nkowal

Quotequickme - 10/14/2016  5:23 PM

MOTHER OF GOD. $26.99 for single PSD4??????????  :hitme:

raize

So does that mean that the import of CCs to the US is legal?  Is transfer between two parties still prohibited?
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

raize

Quotenkowal - 10/14/2016  4:49 PM

Quotequickme - 10/14/2016  5:23 PM

MOTHER OF GOD. $26.99 for single PSD4??????????  :hitme:

Could be worse. Look at the mark up on the Behikes...
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

ninfiction

Quoteraize - 10/14/2016  6:21 PM

So does that mean that the import of CCs to the US is legal?  Is transfer between two parties still prohibited?

Still illegal, personal use/gifting only, no sales.

raize

Quoteninfiction - 10/14/2016  10:22 PM

From my understanding, strictly speaking, gifting was even prohibited...
- Frank Lloyd Wright

Cfickter

It is still a president that is ignoring the Constitution and the separation of power
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Brlesq

QuoteCfickter - 10/14/2016  9:44 PM

It is still a president that is ignoring the Constitution and the separation of power

Spot on. This clown is going to circumvent the Constitution right up to Jan 20

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Longhorn

QuoteBrlesq - 10/14/2016  9:53 PM

Spot on.  There is still an embargo law on the books.  With that said, I doubt you'll find much trouble at most CBP checkpoints. However, this is not guaranteed and, by law, an agent can confiscate if they choose to do so.

nkowal

QuoteLonghorn - 10/15/2016  2:41 AM

Spot on.  There is still an embargo law on the books.  With that said, I doubt you'll find much trouble at most CBP checkpoints. However, this is not guaranteed and, by law, an agent can confiscate if they choose to do so.

Given that this was published in the Code of Federal Regulations today, they'd have a hard time justifying seizure if you meet the requirements. Theoretically the agent could ignore the CFR (a dubious career move), and you could bring a claim if your property was seized. At which point the gov't would likely refuse to defend the agents actions.

Obama is massively flexing the EO muscle more so than any President I recall, and he's pushed the Cuba issue about as far as it can go, but this is going to be a hard change to be legally challenged because many parties who would lack legal standing.

(Not saying it's right, just pontificating on practicality of it)

nkowal

Quoteraize - 10/15/2016  12:09 AM

Quoteninfiction - 10/14/2016  10:22 PM

From my understanding, strictly speaking, gifting was even prohibited...

Their interpretation of personal use allows for gifting:

31. Can I purchase Cuban-origin cigars and/or Cuban-origin rum or other alcohol while traveling in Cuba?
Persons authorized to travel to Cuba may purchase alcohol and tobacco products while in Cuba for personal consumption. Authorized travelers may also return to the United States with alcohol and/or tobacco products acquired in Cuba as accompanied baggage for personal use. OFAC considers “personal use” of an imported item to include giving the item to another individual as a personal gift, but not the transfer of the item to another person for payment or other consideration.

https://www.treasury.gov/resource-center/sanctions/Programs/Documents/cuba_faqs_new.pdf

tjm0831

Cfickter

QuoteLonghorn - 10/14/2016  11:41 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 10/14/2016  9:44 PM  It is still a president that is ignoring the Constitution and the separation of power

Spot on (Sorry I felt I just need to say that) 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.