Lighter repair question

Started by lowpro75, 02/14/2010 08:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

lowpro75

One of my Colibri lighters won't spark anymore.  I got it relatively cheap, under 10 bucks so I'm not sending in for repair.  Any suggestions or should I just toss it?
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bob Cordell

Go BIC, thats a buck twenty nine at the Qwik Sak!

:thumbsup:
"I bet there's rich folks eating in fancy dining cars,
They're probably drinkin' coffee and smoking big cigars"

Beegerply

Toss it, and go to Wallie world and get a Jet Lite 3.99
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

lowpro75

Ok, let me rephrase the question, any useful suggestions? :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bob Cordell

nwb

The only thing that has ever worked for me is compressed air.  You can try spraying it out, bleeding the tank, refilling it, and then try it again.  If that doesn't work, then toss it.

nwb
Chief of Shaft

Beegerply

Take it back to where you got it, they are suppose to have a life time warranty. I took one back that only cost $14.00, had to do that twice didn't have any problems
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

gitfiddl

Didn't Colibri go out of business?  Nevertheless, if it doesn't spark it's done, I would think.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Dave S.

Quotelowpro75 - 2/14/2010  8:56 AM

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

wescat

I can relate. If a B&M won't replace it under warranty, and compressed air doesn't revive it, your only option is to toss it. The only high end torch lighters that have ever lasted for me are 1 Nibo and 1 Xicar. The Ronson's just keep tickin.....
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

DocJazzRH

Rich ()=iii=<

Delusions of grandeur make me feel a lot better about myself .. J. Wagner

At least a bad conscience can make life interesting -- Kierkegaard

smottman

In my humble opinion Colibri has always been and continues to be junk. Ronson for the money is incredibly
reliable and inexpensive.
A déjà vu is usually a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something.

akira

I say try to get it repaired under warranty, but if its too much trouble, just toss it and get the Ronson for cheap or get the xikar enigma lighter. I've got a couple of those and they are awesome.
"Sometimes when I reflect back on all the beer I drink I feel ashamed - Then I look into the glass and think about the workers in the brewery and all of their hopes and dreams. If I didn't drink this beer, they might be out of work and their dreams would be shattered. Then I say to myself, 'It is better that I drink this beer and let their dreams come true than be selfish and worry about my liver.'" -Jack Handy

lowpro75

I have a couple Ronson's and another Colibra, the CVS up the street sells Ronson's for about 5 bucks each so it's not that I don't have a lighter.  I just thought that I may be able to save this one.  I got it at CI about a year and 1/2 ago, 2 for $15.  Colibri will fix it but it is 8 bucks to cover shipping and there is no authorized repair shop near me.  So I'm not going to pay more to fix the lighter than I paid for it.  I actually probably voided the warranty today because I took the thing apart to see if I could fix it, it was a long shot but it looked like I was going to toss it anyway.  I got it back together but I still can't get it to spark, so it looks like it is bound for the trash.  Thanks for the helpful, and less than helpful feedback. :biggrin:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

Bob Cordell

Cheap ass! Just go get another one! This aint the Six Million dollar Man!!!!!!

:lmao:

Dave S.

Quotesmottman - 2/14/2010  11:32 AM

In my humble opinion Colibri has always been and continues to be junk.

:word:

Don't know about Ronson, but I won't buy another Colibri!
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

lowpro75

QuoteBob Cordell - 2/14/2010  4:35 PM

Cheap ass! Just go get another one! This aint the Six Million dollar Man!!!!!!

:word:  :lmao:
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

smottman

My reason considering Colibri as junk is this. My wife bought me my first humidor full of Partagas with an Xikar scissors tool and a Colibri lighter on my birthday some years ago. The lighter stopped working in a week and I shipped it out for the 7 or 8 dollar fee. A month later I got it back and it worked for about  2 days.

It seems that every one of my smoking buddies has had the same basic experience.

A déjà vu is usually a glitch in the Matrix. It happens when they change something.

mcdimond

Colibri lighters don't tend to like butane unless it also came from Colibri. A friend of mine at one of the local B&Ms bleeds all the butane out and refills with Colibri and this usually solves problems.

Michael

Fun Fact:
Groucho Marx suffered from insomnia, which he claimed was due to a financial loss in the stock market. When he suffered from insomnia, he used to call people up in the middle of the night and insult them. In the 1950s Groucho was invited to take a tour of the New York Stock Exchange. While in the observation booth, he grabbed the public address system handset and began singing "Lydia the Tattooed Lady". Upon hearing silence coming from the trading floor, he walked into view, was given a loud cheer by the traders, and shouted, "Gentlemen, in 1929 I lost eight hundred thousand dollars on this floor, and I intend to get my money's worth!" For fifteen minutes, he sang, danced, told jokes, and all this time, the Wall Street stock ticker was running blank.

Bob Cordell

I dont really think that was much more useful than my BIC suggestion...

DennisA

:lmao:  You guys are so helpful!  :lmao:

Wifey bought me a Colibri for my birthday a few years back. I'm sure she paid too much for it, but she thought she was getting me something nice, and I can't fault her for that. It's currently sitting in the bottom of a drawer somewhere. It worked for about the first couple of dozen times I used it, then quit.  I've had much better luck with the $4-$10 lighters that you can pick up in Walgreens and convenience stores.
Of all the things I've lost, it's my mind I miss the most.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.