Mold in my humidor?

Started by runewolf, 11/22/2016 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

runewolf

Well I'm a grumpy SOB now. Brought two new sticks home from a shop. Open my small humidor to find mold growing behind my boveda! 

photo 69B786EF-C4AA-4E4C-ACE4-2AC6743C7741.jpg

Moved and checked the cigars, nothing wrong there.  Treated the humidor with vinegar and letting it dry now. Glad I am building another humidor lol

--// Signature space for rent \\--

Jackal

Good luck there.  If the vinegar doesn't work, try peroxide (which, unlike vinegar, is odorless).

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

runewolf

Yep will give that a try. I know that vinegar is a mold killer and will keep it from growing for a while after treating.

Jackal

Studies show that 82% of mold species are killed by vinegar.  However, it can leave your humidor (and cigars stored in there) smelling like a salad.  Peroxide (an oxidizer) is compatible with vinegar (unlike bleach) so you don't have to worry about unfortunate reactions.  In fact, you can even mix them together for added power.  We use acetic (vinegar) along with an oxidizer as a cleanup method for stubborn contaminants.

runewolf

Good to know Jackal!  I have all the sticks moved to a temporary solution.  Hopefully I can move them to the new humidor sooner than I'd planned.

Brlesq

I would use isopropyl alcohol instead. 99% effective and odorless. You might have to season the humidor again afterwards, but so what?
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

cavenbk

I don't know what you guys are looking at, but that looks like plume to me. I say throw your sticks back in there and let them get a good coating hahaha. :biggrin:
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

appollo

Thanks for the tip Jason and Bruce  for future reference if needed. :-)

runewolf

Cav!  Don't make me come up to Pittsburgh and smack you!  Lol.  Although I really do need to make a trip up that way....

Jackal

Quoterunewolf - 11/23/2016  7:02 AM

Cav!  Don't make me come up to Pittsburgh and smack you!  Lol.  Although I really do need to make a trip up that way....

I refuse to go to Pittsburgh until Kings brings back the Frownie.  Those Bastids killed off a piece of Americana.

cavenbk

QuoteJackal - 11/23/2016  11:48 AM  
Quoterunewolf - 11/23/2016  7:02 AM  Cav!  Don't make me come up to Pittsburgh and smack you!  Lol.  Although I really do need to make a trip up that way....
I refuse to go to Pittsburgh until Kings brings back the Frownie.  Those Bastids killed off a piece of Americana.  

Hahaha... Now that is amazing. 

You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

jagfandaddy

As someone new to cigars, thanks for posting this!! What % humidity are you using?
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

runewolf

The boveda I was using was a 72 it kept my little humidor right at 68%. The mold grew right behind it. That's what I get for not opening my humidor every few days and moving it

Cfickter

Quoterunewolf - 11/23/2016 7:02 AM Cav! Don't make me come up to Pittsburgh and smack you! Lol. Although I really do need to make a trip up that way....

Let us know if you come to the BUrgh!  perhaps a herf might be in order

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

runewolf

I Will! Last time I was there, I was only 2 miles from leaf and bean and did not get to go. Want to see the Rocky Patel place when it opens

tvolball

QuoteBrlesq - 11/22/2016  10:47 PM

I would use isopropyl alcohol instead. 99% effective and odorless. You might have to season the humidor again afterwards, but so what?

I agree with Bruce. Rubbing alcohol will take care of it. No odor quick dry
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.