Whyntermute Update at 10 Months

Started by c9belayer, 11/30/2016 06:57 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

c9belayer

I've been using my modified Whynter cigar cooler for 10 months now and still love it. What follows is an über-geek update in excruciating detail, because, why not?

BACKGROUND

For humidity, I use 1/2 lb. of Heartfelt's 65% beads in their mesh bag at the bottom of the cabinet, and a 7"x9" sheet of the 65% stuff on the top shelf. I open the door once a day, sometimes twice if I'm doting on my babies. I live in San Jose, CA where the average annual temperature is around 60-65ºF and the average humidity is somewhere around 50-60%. I use 3 electronic tag sensors to monitor humidity, one each in the first, middle, and last trays; they are in different parts of the trays, too, to mix it up. The computer fans, top and bottom, come on 4 times a day for 2 hours each time. Humidity levels are, on average: Top ~ 66-67%, Middle ~ 69-70%, Bottom ~ 66-67%.

HUMIDITY ISSUE

So I learned a couple of bone-head things about humdification's role in the evaporation and condensation of water in a semi-closed system. First, the Peltier cooling unit generates condensation; i.e. liquid water. By design, the cabinet routes this condensate through a hole in the rear wall, to a nipple on the outside of the unit, where it drips into a little reservoir on the back of the unit. Presumably, this water evaporates into the surrounding environment over time. I have found this small, innocuous condensate exit nipple KEY to the smooth operation of the unit. 

If you plug that hole, moisture runs down the inside of the unit and puddles on the cabinet floor. Condensation outpaces evaporation just enough so that in a year's time, I probably had ~1/2-1/3 cup of free-standing water in my cabinet, a thoroughly waterlogged cedar grate, and a cigar box that was soaking wet on the bottom! (The cigars inside were dry -- I'm a lucky, lucky boy.)

If you don't plug that hole, you start a downward cycle: Water added to your humidifiers evaporates into the cabinet air (good), gets condensed by the Peltier unit (bad), gets collected (good), and is routed to a drip container outside the cabinet, only to evaporate again -- this time uselessly -- outside the cabinet (bad). You need to constantly add humidity to make up for this loss.

HUMIDITY SOLUTION

So WTF do you do? I think there are at least 3 ways to tackle this.

Method 1: Plug the hole, put a rag in the bottom of the cabinet against the back wall, and let any condensed water run down the inside rear of the cabinet and soak into the rag. Some of this water will evaporate out of the rag and help stabilize interior humidity levels. Wring out the rag, or replace, every month or so as needed.

Method 2: Same as Method 1, but use a bag of humidification beads instead of a rag. Check every month or so and take action as needed.

Method 3: (Assuming you are using the water tray that came with the unit to humidify your system) drill a hole through the back wall of your unit about 1" above the water tray. Stick some rubber tubing onto the rear exit nipple, and then push it through the hole you drilled. The goal is for condensate to drip back into the water reservoir you're using to humidify the unit in the first place. This is a simple and elegant solution, but does require some drilling.

So here's what I done did: First I turned the coolidor off. The fans still run, but the Peltier unit is off. It's winter now, and it ain't needed. Plus, there are no worries about condensation when the cooling unit is off! Sure, when the ambient temperatures begin to get above 70ºF regularly, I'll turn the unit back on, at which point I'll try Method 2 with my half-pound of beads. I'll let y'all know how it works.

AIR MOVEMENT ISSUE

Another issue I had was that with each tray fully stocked, I had good air transport front and back, and probably on the sides too, but the center "column" of 5 trays packed with cigars was presenting an average differential of ~4% humidity between the top/center/bottom hygrometers; the center tray was always reporting ~3-4% more humidity than the upper or lower trays. I had to find a way to better ventilate the interior of the stack.

AIR MOVEMENT SOLUTION

The answer was simple, elegant, and obvious, so I nutted up and took one for the team: I smoked a bunch of cigars and -- perhaps more importantly -- didn't order any more for a couple of months. This reduced the total number of sticks in the humidor and allowed me to open up one good-sized open partition within each tray. This allowed additional air transport up and down the center of the column. In a week's time, the average humidity differential fell to slightly more than 2%. While this isn't a very impressive improvement, it seems to settle the old "Do-I-stock-my-humidor-to-the-gills or let-my-babies-breathe" argument. For me, for this unit, it's best to let the sticks breathe. Another thing I do to help is shift the cigar trays around. Once a week I rotate them: The bottom tray moves to the top, and the other trays move down one space.

TOP FAN ISSUE & SOLUTION

I created a bent metal mount for the top computer fan and used some "permanent" double-stick tape to stick it to the ceiling of the cooler. I wondered how long it would hold. It turns out... a few months. I put some new tape on and it too eventually let go. s**te! So, before I go mechanical on the thing, I'm going to try one of those 3M Command damage-free hook adhesive strips. I'll let ya know how that works.

Anywhoo, that's my experience. If you're using one of these coolidors, do let us know what you've learned.

-- c9belayer

runewolf

Thanks for the Update! I have just moved my small collection of sticks to my wine cooler.  I have the compressor unplugged,  so no cooling. Instead I keep the room temp controlled at 70. So now I get to keep an eye on the humidity and adjust the time the built in fans run (currently 20 minutes running, 40 minutes off). I love the timer I have Lol!
--// Signature space for rent \\--

raize

If you go the 3M route, I'd recommend trying the ones for outdoor or shower use. They are designed to handle moisture much better than the standard stuff. I've got my grill tools hanging on the brick wall next to my grill using nothing more than the outdoor rated hooks.
An architect's most useful tools are an eraser at the drafting board, and a wrecking bar at the site.
- Frank Lloyd Wright

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=raize

c9belayer

Thanks, Raize! I didn't know they had a more water-resistant version. When the "indoor" one I used fails, I'll try one of the "outdoor" versions.

-- c9belayer

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.