Pipe smoking, and a death in the family

Started by calvarez, 12/02/2016 01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

calvarez

I know those seem unrelated, but hang with me.  First off, our son died earlier this week.  It's been obviously a very hard week.  But we are surrounded by amazing friends and family, even neighbors, who have been here nearly 24/7 for us.  Literally right now is the first time I've been alone all week, as I sent the wife out with her mom and a good friend to go have lunch and some girl time.  We've had food, scotch, and other things delivered, and pretty well anything we need is getting taken care of by people who love us.  We are certainly wealthy in that way.

Do any of you guys smoke pipes also?  I've had a couple for many years.  Every time I give it a go, I run into issues.  Mostly because I didn't do good research on how to properly smoke and care for them and the tobacco.  About a month ago I decided to give it a proper try, and am getting better at it.  Last night, I wanted a smoke to help me chill out, but it was damn cold outside.  I was hanging out with three ladies who are thin and get cold easily (IE, 70 is freezing to them).  I had been told by a guy on the Reddit pipe sub that pipes don't stink up the house at all.  He was insistent that he does it all the time, and the wife approves.  So I gave it a shot.  Smoked either two or three bowls (alcohol was involved, lost track).  Today, sure enough, nobody could smell anything.

Anyway, I'd been wanting to bring up the pipe discussion here for a while, today seemed a good time for it.  I could use some sort of normal-feeling distractions.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

lowpro75

I'm sorry for your loss.  My thoughts go out to you and your family.

I've always been too lazy to smoke a pipe, plus I don't want to get into another $$$ hobby.  My father smoked a pipe in the house when we were growing up and I never recall smelling it the next day.
Guru of Sensitivity.  

The Herf of Havertown.

runewolf

So sorry for your loss.

My wife never noticed when I would smoke my pipe indoors.  She loved the scent of the unsmoked tobacco I used.  She never noticed or never said a word about in in the house.  I on the other hand, could smell it on my recliner.  Especially a few months after I completely stopped smoking anything.  Not a bad smell, but definitely there.  a couple times spraying oderban and it was gone.
--// Signature space for rent \\--

calvarez

A friend mentioned that fabrics may absorb smells.  Our furniture is all leather, and the windows coverings are plastic and wood blinds, so not much that can absorb it.  Probably not going to be something I do often, but last night seemed like one of those times.

As far as the cost, in the long run it's cheaper than cigars.  Even great tobaccos are really inexpensive as far as the cost per smoke.  My most expensive tin was $14 and I should get about 15-20 smokes from it.  That's Ron Mexico pricing right there!  Most pipe tobacco is around $3-4 per ounce and gives about 10 smokes per ounce.  Pipes can be expensive, but I've heard the $7 cob at Walgreens is actually awesome.  I have one, haven't used it.  I also picked up a true block Meerschaum pipe on eBay for $30.

-- Me

appollo

So sorry for your loss.Thoughts and prayers are with you and your family.

Jackal

Very sorry for your loss.

My dad used to smoke a pipe.  The aroma of Cavendish was amazing.  I don't remember any stale tobacco odor in the house afterwards.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Vroomp

Sorry to hear of your loss...... :-(

Good to see you around again though Rich~!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

toby2

so sorry for you and your family's loss.

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

ninfiction

So sorry for your loss. Positive vibes being sent your way.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

calvarez

Thanks for the kind words, everyone.

-- Me

Cfickter

So very sorry for your loss. Nothing can be harder
I'm not a pipe smoker but enjoyed the thread. We will keep you I our prayers
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

gitfiddl

Carlos, my condolences on the loss of your son and know that you and your family are in our prayers.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

MacMac

I'm so sorry for your loss. Smoke is smoke and it smells!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

MacMac

I'm so sorry for your loss. Smoke is smoke and it smells!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Brlesq

Carlos, so sorry to hear about your son. I'm late to this thread, but I'll be sure to keep you and your family in our prayers.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

1029henry

Prayers for your grief and loss. God bless.
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

DonM

My condolences to you and your Family Carlos. As you get older, you think that your children will out live you and it is tragic when you lose a loved one.

Good luck with the pipe, I never had the patience to master them

"The Curmudgeon"

calvarez

After several days of smoking the pipe indoors, I can confirm that it leaves no smell.  Nobody else can detect one either.

-- Me

calvarez

Oh, also, what comes out of it is more like a vape than "smoke" really.

-- Me

McBryde

That is a great piece of information to know. My bloodhound wife I'm sure could smell it though, lol.

Sorry for your loss brother.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.