Hello From SoCal!

Started by Katp1031, 12/27/2016 05:14 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Katp1031

Hi there All,

I am new to the site, but not a new smoker. I joined for feedback and conversations. I have a new 400 ct humidor, and while I have quite a few favorite sticks, I am always looking for opinions.

Happy holidays!!

Jackal

Welcome form Orange County

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

05Venturer

:welcome: from NW WI
you've come to the right place
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Brlesq

Glad to have you join us!
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Otter

Welcome to the group!
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

ntanner

Welcome from New Mexico.
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

toby2

appollo

:welcome: From Nova Scotia.Enjoy the site :-)

ebernabe

welcome from Missouri, you won't find a better place for cigars online.

Kman

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Longhorn

Welcome! :cigarman:

Here's your "unofficial" :welcome: kit!

-----
Answers to frequently asked questions:

The vast number of aficionados on this forum leave the cellophane on their cigars. :smoker:

Many like a v-cut versus a straight cut, and many use kitty litter to stabilize the humidity in their humidors, but the Boveda humi-paks and Heartfelt beads are also well liked.

Xikar hygrometers (note the "g" and not a "d" in hygrometer) are frequently recommended on this forum. If you ask how to calibrate one you'll get pointed to Google.

Lighters are all over the board with many opting for the cost effective Ronson butane jet lighters while others prefer Xikars, large table top lighters, cedar spills, matches, car lighters, blow torches, fire pits - pretty much anything that's on fire.

There's a BIG difference between cedar and Spanish cedar:  The latter is perfect for cigars, but the other will leave ALL of your cigars smelling and tasting like... cedar. :blech:

Any science related questions about relative humidity and temperature have been discussed ad nauseum. But, if you feel the urge to ask, ignore what everyone posts except Jackal - he's the resident scientist. :respekt:

Whatever size humidor you own, or thinking of buying, it's not BIG enough. Consider this a fair warning - this site is full of enablers! :angel:

Don't forget to visit the Articles Section where you will find information on a variety of topics.
http://cigargeeks.com/community/boxx/knowledgebase.asp?display=list&SortbyType=1

Insights into the Cigar Geeks Community:

Any thread that starts with "NSFW" gets tons of views during working hours. :confused:

Don't post anything about ISOM's anywhere but the ISOM thread. Otherwise, you'll get a bunch of nonsensical responses. It is still illegal to sell or buy Cuban cigars from U.S. soil. :shades:

Please resize your pictures before posting so you don't fire-up the curmudgeons on this site. :hityou:

Speaking of size, when you print the photo template, make sure that you don't select "Fit to Page" when printing or the cigars will look like they are longer than they actually are - there's nothing worse than a picture of a Churchill that's actually a Robusto!  If you are not sure, check the template against an actual ruler.  :hitme:

"Bombs" are not bombs, but gifts. Some on here refer to them as "kisses."  Whatever you call them, it's not polite to broadcast you're sending a bomb or solicit to be bombed. :nono:  Doing the latter will subject you to a mailbox full of dog-rockets and a lifetime of ridicule.  :shamebag:  You are, however, encouraged to acknowledged being bombed and there's a thread for doing just that.

Spammers are treated with as much disrespect as we can collectively pile on them. It can be a bummer when the admins delete the threads - it ruins all the fun! :spamcan:

If you have any questions about bugs or critters, let nwb know - he's our resident entomologist... whatever that is. :-)

Passes are generally off limits to new members until you have a few posts under your belt or have a veteran vouch for you. Same with selling, buying, or trading.  You will be expected to execute your end of transactions first until you gain the confidence of the community and rack up a few positive feedback points. If you plan to do any of this it is a good idea to get a LapYap account if you don't already have one.

PIF's (Pay It Forward) are a great way to earn credibility here. There are several threads devoted to them. Just be sure to read the ground rules before jumping in or review the extensive threads to get an idea of what they're about or check out this article: http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=articles;sa=view;article=57

Google Herfs (or G-Herfs) are a great way to meet some of the other Geeks "face to face." You have to have a Google account and should be familiar with how to use Google Hangouts before you join one. More information can be found here: https://www.google.com/+/learnmore/hangouts

If disagreements occur, the Gurus usually come through with sage advice - heed their warnings as they carry a lot of power (well, we let them think that anyway :whistle:).

The Obi-Wan Kenobi of the site is SeƱorPablo - when he speaks, we listen.  If you don't, you risk being on the working end of his "Ban Saber."  :bow:

Please consider joining CRA if you are not already a member - it gets you a cool badge that shows up under your name on posts. :thumbsup: Another easy way to earn a badge is to support the "Cigars for Troops" event that usually occurs in the early Fall. :usa:

Finally, welcome to our community - in the end, it's about the enjoyment of cigars and pipes, developing friendships with others who share common interests and passions, and enhancing your knowledge of our hobby!

:goodluck:

Camshaft83

Welcome to CG from Utah! :smoker:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

1029henry

Welcome from the OC!
"What a kid I got, I told him about the birds and the bees and he told me about the butcher and my wife"

"When I was a kid my parents moved a lot, but I always found them"

"My wife and I were happy for twenty years. Then we met"
-Rodney Dangerfield

headfirst

Welcome from Santa Clarita!   Oh nice to have another SoCal geek!
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Beegerply

Welcome from the Midwest, enjoy the site.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Gustoff

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

Dave S.

Welcome from Northern California.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

DonM

welcome from the Sunshine State!

"The Curmudgeon"

biggsy16

Welcome from Calgary
Never done being a Dad

Cfickter

Well if you are looking for opinions then you have come to the right place!
Welcome to CG from Pittsburgh
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

RDF

Welcome! from SE Michigan
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

nirab

Welcome from beeuudaful Buda, Texas!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

jagfandaddy

Welcome from Florida!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Gustoff

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

MacMac

Welcome from Lake Gaston, VA.  ENJOY THE COMMUNITY!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.