Spanish Cedar, Humidifiers...New Shop! Pics Up!

Started by nirab, 02/09/2017 11:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

nirab

Hey Geeks!

I am looking for help, advice, sources, opinions...heck, whatever you believe will be helpful to the cause!

I am helping our local shop in Buda get ready to open up, The Cigar Vault, and the humidor is my focus. I am looking for Spanish cedar sources, and feedback on humidifier options. The humidor is roughly 8x10 with a ceiling height of about 8', and is located in an old bank vault. the walls are brick, been there over a 100 yrs. I will post pics later for reference.

It looks as though I will be working 10-15 hours per week, but the owner has already proposed the possibility of a management position if I am interested...um...heck yea!!

Any and all help is greatly appreciated!! Thanks!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

ricoishere

I got way too many cigars, too much booze, not many friends. Life is GRAND.
-Rico

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

My humidor
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=ricoishere

Deener27

Nirab,

I guess a good place to start is to ask what the budget looks like?  Spanish Cedar in a good grade and quality is expensive and somewhat annoying to work with, but perfect for storing and aging cigars at optimal conditions.

I am not really in construction but in my experience, brick tends to be very porous and will suck up a ton of moisture.  Is a floating wall with a vapor barrier an option?  With the age of the wall, could it be covered?  Is the wall an exterior wall as well?  That would have a direct effect on the environmental control that you need as well.  What about HVAC and temperature control?

Sorry to pose a ton of counter questions to yours, but maybe you can elaborate a bit so we can really muster the info to help you get that management position.  I think that would be really cool if you were able to blow them away with a well engineered solution.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

ninfiction

I don't have much to offer for help with something that large but Congratulations!
This is not the admin you're looking for...

appollo

Congrats on the dream job Brian. :thumbsup: But I have no advice.Sorry

Cfickter

The above suggestion from ricoishere is a good one but a pricey option.
Here are some additional links that may help from Cigar Journal
http://www.cigarjournal.co/how-to-build-your-own-walk-in-humidor-one/
http://www.cigarjournal.co/how-to-build-your-own-walk-in-humidor-two/
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

toby2

congrats!

i bought mine from a local company that specializes in wood siding and other exotic woods. they ordered it and planed it down to my specs. it wasn't cheap. nowadays it's probably just under $10 a board foot i would guess?

DonM

I would recommend going on a recon mission to other shops and see what they are using.  Many I have seen are not using Spanish cedar much, they are using a very large or several large humidifiers concentrating on the humidity.  If you have ever been to Corona Cigar Co, their whole facility is humidified.  Just a suggestion

"The Curmudgeon"

nirab

Thanks for all the help so far, much appreciated!  :biggrin:  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

The Burn Ward

I think shakinghorizons built his own walk in? Maybe a good guy to ask.

Vroomp

There is no reason to use Spanish Cedar for the walk in as many B&M's do not. The boxes the cigars sit in is usually adequate to impart a bit of flavor and give the room that nice aroma. Most important is sealing the surfaces inside the humidor to maintain proper humidity so you aren't over-working your humidification system. A simple sealer on the brick would suffice as well as the ceiling. Painting acoustical tiles seals them quite well for this purpose (if that's what the ceiling will be) and walls of wood or brick could be sealed with a variety of water-based Low VOC sealers that will give off no odors once cured, although I have seen many humidors with simple pine paneling that was unfinished with a vapor barrier behind the pine to maintain humidity. It takes a couple weeks to get a large humidor up to proper humidity, but once there it is easily maintained.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

nirab

Great info Brad, thanks!

Shelf space for Xyphos may be available... :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

nirab

Pics! Notice the old safe. The vault was built around the safe and weighs as much as a small car! No way to remove it, so it will be a featured part of the humidor. Maybe a place to run "Vault Specials" and other cool promotions. In the third pic, you can see the steel rods that secure the vault door. Being able to use this and maintain a seal may be a challenge.

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

McBryde

"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cfickter

Looks like it would make a very cool walk-in but it also looks like you have a ton of work to rehab it.  I would leave the original vault door always open and install a glass door so people could see inside.  Looks like you will need a security camera also.  
The old safe is really sweet and could see some pretty cool marketing and promotions
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

nirab

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

DonM

I like the gimmicks with the safe and the vault door.  Have fun with it Brian!

"The Curmudgeon"

nirab

Met up with Jeff at the new shop last night...I guess this is a sign that he wants me to work for him!  :shy:  :bigthumbs:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

vw77guy

I hope you get to work there.  I work for Empire Cigars, The Vault.  It too was a bank.  We don't use cedar but I agree with Brad about sealing it or making a non porous surface to keep the humidity in.  We used a hydrofogger for a while but we had issues with it blowing mist directionaly and getting cigars wet.  We're using a house humidifier temporarily and planning on upgrading to a steam system for the new store (we're moving).  Not sure what it's called or how it works, but I could ask if you want.  PM me or something since I'm not on with any frequency these days.  Otherwise, good luck and I hope you get it.  It can be a great job.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.