June Member Sponsored Geek Critique

Started by junglepete, 03/20/2017 03:22 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

This Geek Critique has been generously sponsored by Cfickter (Chuck)

The Cigar: Black Label Trading Co. Killer Bee Green Hornet (4.5 x 46)

The Specs:

Cigar Reviewed: Black Works Killer Bee Green Hornet
Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Factory: Fabrica Oveja Negra
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Maduro & Candela
Binder: Nicaraguan Habano
Filler: Nicaragua
Length: 5 Inches
Ring Gauge: 48
Vitola: Robusto
Release Date: July 25, 2016

The Background/Hype:

In late 2015, James Brown, the co-owner of Black Label Trading Co., launched a brand named Black Works Studio to showcase "unique premium cigars" produced at the Fabrica Oveja Negra in EstelĂ­, Nicaragua. The first three releases were the NBK (6 x 46), The Killer Bee (4 1/2 x 46) and Rorschach (5 x 38), all of which shipped in December of that year.

At the 2016 IPCPR Convention & Trade Show, the company launched a new line extension based on the Killer Bee blend named the Green Hornet. The 5 x 48 robusto featured a small piece of candela wrapper covering the foot of the cigar as well as candela strips around the cap and is sold in boxes of 20 for $9.50 each. Blend-wise, the regular production release is covered in an Ecuadorian maduro leaf with candela accents, a Nicaraguan habano binder and filler tobaccos from Nicaragua, and is rolled at the Fabrica Oveja Negra factory.

"The Green Hornet started as an event only cigar, however after seeing the response from consumers and retailers we knew it had to become a regular release," said Brown in a press release. "The blend is a touch stronger than the Killer Bee to compliment the larger vitola and the closed Candela foot creates a very unique profile from the first puff. The Green Hornet is big, bold, rich and spicy."

Due Date: May 25, 2017

The Reviewers:

Four (4) veteran or higher status reviewers, min 500 points and 10 reviews
One (1) newb (less than 12 months on Geeks), min 100 points and 5 reviews
Must not have done a review in February, April or May.
Canadian Reviewers: Included

1. 05Venturer (Kent)
2. johncw (John)
3. ninfiction (Brian)
4. headfirst (Gary)
5. So Many Sticks (Jeff)

Note: A reviewer who posts their review late will receive neutral feedback. A reviewer who does not post at all will receive negative feedback. There are always exceptions to the rule and a reasonable excuse for tardiness or a no show will be respected and thus not counted against the reviewer. Our sponsoring members and our administrators make the choice of who is to participate in any particular Geek Critique and can be better informed of their choices with this initiative in place.

Thanks again to Chuck for taking this one on and providing the cigar. THANKS!! And happy smokin'  :smoker:

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

johncw

Cfickter

Quotejohncw - 3/20/2017  9:10 PM  I'm very interested if you'll have me.
got you your in

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

ninfiction

Just an FYI, the cigar is listed as Black Works Studio which is an offshoot of Black Label Trading...

That being said, I'll do the review, Kid Montana sent me one last week so you don't even have to ship me the cigar, I can smoke the one I have  :shy:
This is not the admin you're looking for...

05Venturer

Quoteninfiction - 3/21/2017  7:52 PM

Just an FYI, the cigar is listed as Black Works Studio which is an offshoot of Black Label Trading...

That being said, I'll do the review, Kid Montana sent me one last week so you don't even have to ship me the cigar, I can smoke the one I have  :shy:

Per the OP
"In late 2015, James Brown, the co-owner of Black Label Trading Co., launched a brand named Black Works Studio to showcase "unique premium cigars"
Kent

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cfickter

thanks Brian, you ur in, need more veteran and a possible newb.

Cfickter

Come on boys and girls - need two more, looking for a newb also (see rules)
 :bump:

nirab

I'm up in May, but if, just if, no one signs up I am on the bench ready to play!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

McBryde

With the name killer bee, and the Habano wrapper, I'm not gonna smoke this one, I bet it is a spicy one!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cfickter

Quotenirab - 3/22/2017  9:13 PM  I'm up in May, but if, just if, no one signs up I am on the bench ready to play!  :biggrin:

thanks Brian, will keep that in mind

headfirst

Haven't done one since last fall, I'm game...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

ninfiction

Quote05Venturer - 3/21/2017  9:00 PM

Per the OP
"In late 2015, James Brown, the co-owner of Black Label Trading Co., launched a brand named Black Works Studio to showcase "unique premium cigars"

Per the OP: The Cigar: Black Label Trading Co. Killer Bee Green Hornet (4.5 x 46)  :moon:

More to my point is that it's listed in the database under Black Works Studio

Cfickter

Quoteheadfirst - 3/23/2017  9:36 AMHaven't done one since last fall, I'm game...
thanks Gary, you're in.  Now just need a newb!

05Venturer

Quoteninfiction - 3/23/2017  9:07 AM

Quote05Venturer - 3/21/2017  9:00 PM

Per the OP

Per the OP: The Cigar: Black Label Trading Co. Killer Bee Green Hornet (4.5 x 46)  :moon:

More to my point is that it's listed in the database under Black Works Studio

Easy there Snarky, just trying to help  :sad:  :lmao:
Kent

ninfiction

Quote05Venturer - 3/23/2017  9:47 AM

Easy there Snarky, just trying to help  :sad:  :lmao:

Ahh you know I lov...like you

Cfickter

StogieDad

Hey Chuck, I did a little reconnaissance and So Many Sticks is willing to be the newb for you.  He's a little shy of the requirements, but has been posting on the Todays Smoke thread pretty religiously.  Thought he may be a good fit for you!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

So Many Sticks

I'd be honored, as a new member, if I could be given the chance to do the review. I may fall a bit short of the normal requirements but I assure you I will submit an honest and timely,well written review. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play! :)
The field mouse is fast but the owl sees at night..... ( Grandpa Chip, Talladega Nights)

Cfickter

QuoteSo Many Sticks - 3/24/2017  12:26 PM  I'd be honored, as a new member, if I could be given the chance to do the review. I may fall a bit short of the normal requirements but I assure you I will submit an honest and timely,well written review. Put me in coach, I'm ready to play! :)

Jeff, would love to have you, thanks for stepping up

Cfickter

So Many Sticks

Thanks for giving me the shot:) I Look forward to doing this review and hopefully many more in the future!
The field mouse is fast but the owl sees at night..... ( Grandpa Chip, Talladega Nights)

Cfickter

So finally getting my act together and getting these shipped out.  When I got the first fiver I tried two to see if they were critique worthy.  So I needed to replace them, and wouldn't you know Cigar Fed ran out, so it took some time to locate more.  thanks for your patience

Headfirst - 9405803699300442967220
So Many Sticks - 9405803699300442967237
ninfiction - 9405803699300442960023
johncw - 9405803699300442960054
05Venturer - 9405803699300442960016

ninfiction

Actually planning on smoking it this next weekend, since I have one in hand already and have a busy couple weeks after. Looking forward to it. Thanks Chuck!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.