A great big herfa-hello to you all!

Started by GrayHogan, 04/14/2017 12:26 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

GrayHogan

Hi there!

I was sent here by a knowledgeable fellow at my local B&M, Empire Cigars The Vault in Apex, NC.  He said you all dig cigars more than I do, which I didn't think was possible!  I have been smoking stogies for about 10 years, but more and more in the last 3.  I graduated my dad from 5 Vegas to Man-O-War Ruinations, and I have moved on from Diesels to Ligas.  Unfortunately, my dad passed away this last February, and I have been trying to fill the void by going to a cigar shop that is about an hour away (also, the only one close to me). I usually can escape for a Thursday night poker game for store credit, and have been enjoying the talks with everyone who says I should try "this Jamie Garcia," or that the "skull breaker will melt my head!"  Honestly, I did try the Jamie Garcia, and liked it- and the skull breaker was nice, but wasn't a mind numbing experience for me.  The strongest cigar I have had that is largely known is the LFD NAS, and it was quite strong but didn't give any flavor at all.  So, instead of the nicotine intensity, I am now just going for flavor intensity.  

I know this is a polarizing topic, but- my name is Gray, and I like Acids.

I will assume that those who will flambe me for this belief have already moved on.

I see them as a cocktail.  I love the taste of a good rye, straight, but every now and then it is nice to have a mojito.  My first was a Nasty, and so far I have had everything I can find locally.  I had the tin about 4 times, but the B&M exclusives tend to elude me due to the buy in.

Did I mention I am a cheap bastard?  Probably good to throw that in.  

I am prior Navy and am now enjoying the benefits of being totally disabled.  Cigars help with that.  The back can be a huge pain.  It's another reason for only going to the cigar shop once a week.

Anyhow, that's me in a nice, brief, intro.  Should you have any questions, please leave your message at the beep.  

HI! :D
Come on over and say hi, and ridicule me for my crazy reviews at http://gordoguides.com !

StogieDad

Well welcome aboard.  Great to have you!

We won't hold Acids against you...yet.  Brother, smoke what you like and like what you smoke.

Enjoy the site!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

junglepete

Welcome to the site...enjoy your stay!
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Beegerply

Welcome from Illinois, home of John Deere. Oh next time your at Empire tell Shawn Byron said hello. :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

benchjockey

Welcome aboard from South Florida, Gray.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

ninfiction

Welcome aboard Gray! If you have the means there's a virtual herf most nights between 7-10pm central. Lots of bs'ing and s**t giving. Someone usually posts a link or you can find a thread from the day before in the Events forums.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Brlesq

Well Gray, that was one of the most informative and entertaining intros in a long time! I feel like I know you already.  Glad to have you join us!

You've found one of the most informative and impassioned cigar communities on the web.  To say we "dig" cigars is an understatement.  I've been smoking cigars for 27 years, and I still learn something new here every week!

Sorry to hear about your dad.  That's a tough one.  We have virtual herfs on Goggle Hangouts almost every night, and you are welcome to join us for a cigar, a few drinks and some good natured ribbing.  You sound like you will fit in just fine.  Disclaimer:  You WILL find that your humidor begins to expand (and double) quite quickly as you are enabled (frequently) to buy some great bargain deals on cigars we find on the web and elsewhere. We prefer "bargain hunters" to the term "cheap bastards", but its the same and this site is full of us.  Geeks are a very frugal bunch!

Sorry to hear about your Acid addiction.  Sounds painful.  But everybody has their demons, we're here to help.

Finally, and most importantly, thank you for your service!   :usa:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

jagfandaddy

Welcome aboard! and I am a big fan of the Ruinations too.
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

bstessl

Welcome from NW Indiana, you'll probably enjoy the Google herfs we do... Just need about any device other than a Surface, the Hangouts plugin and the link... Hope to see you on the at some point!
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

prican_2000

Welcome from Maryland! And Thank You for your Service.
Enjoy your stay!
A United States Marine:
No Better Friend, No Worst Enemy!

DonM

Welcome from a retired Army guy in the Sunshine State!

"The Curmudgeon"

RDF

Welcome to the group! from SE Michigan
HokieSmokes!

"Twenty years from now you will be more disappointed by the things that you didn't do than by the ones you did do. So throw off the bowlines. Sail away from the safe harbor. Catch the trade winds in your sails. Explore. Dream. Discover." H. Jackson Brown

Gustoff

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

appollo

:welcome: From Nova Scotia.Enjoy the site. :-)

toby2

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

cavenbk

Welcome from PA. Great intro, and Thank You for your service!
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

klamm143

WELCOME - welcome back at ya' from your welcome on my welcome intro thread......now......that's a lot of welcoming right there. And yupp - I'm very familiar with the Sanford area - I have a good friend that lives there and my oldest daughter lived in Sanford for several years.

Question: Me and a few friends of mine get together once every 2 - 3 months for a smoke night out at The Angus Barn in Raleigh. If you are interested in driving into Raleigh one of these days/nights, well, just PM me for more details etc.

..................HAPPY SMOKES TO 'YA - 'till then..........................
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

McBryde

Welcome aboard from Arkansas, Gray!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Kman

Great Intro Gray. Nice to have you here and welcome from PA!!
"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

Camshaft83

Welcome to CG Grey. Enjoy the site and thank you for your service to this great country.  :usa:
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Kid Montana

Welcome, it was great talking with you on the herf-chat last night.

I'd rather have a cigar...

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Cap10_Morgan

Hello from another newbie!  I don't have anything negative to say about the ACID, but I might have a thing or 2 to say about the Navy.  (From an Army vet)  Also, I just wanted to say I like your site you linked to.  The reviews aren't "snobby", just real.  For some reason I found myself adding all your favorites to my wishlist.  (So my wife might also have a few negative words for you)
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.