Humidor issue

Started by Smoky82, 04/20/2017 12:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Smoky82

Hey all.

New forum member here.  I have a Craftsman Bench Taj Mahal 110 count. I have used the wipe-down seasoning method twice. I also have a digital hygrometer that I calibrated with a with Boveda calibration kit. No matter what I do I cant get this thing above 65% ever. I have tried the dollar bill test and it seems fine. I have tried the sponge,
Xikar crystal sticks and Jar, and now i've started with the Heartfelt beads.  Still the humidity hovers around 58%. I'm at a loss here. Ive been messing with this for a year now and i'm about to just toss the humidor and get a cooler. Any advice would be appreciated.

DonM

I would suggest recalibrating the hygrometer

"The Curmudgeon"

Smoky82

QuoteDonM - 4/20/2017  1:45 PM

I would suggest recalibrating the hygrometer

Unfortunately I just did that. Its spot on :(

Jackal

What method did you use to calibrate?

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Rebecca Silverwolf

QuoteJackal - 4/20/2017  5:28 PM

What method did you use to calibrate?

He used the Boveda kit, according to the original post.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

BewareDaPenguin

60 is a little low but not toss out the humidor low, there might be a sealing issue where it's leaking somewhere it sounds like. If there's a key lock it or try setting something heavy on the lid to see if that helps. I had a humidor a while ago that would leak out of the lid, I never had to use the lock on mine for years but once I started it worked again, the wood must have swelled & contracted enough times to warp the section where they meet. Just a suggestion as I had a kind of similar problem with my 100 count a few years back. Good luck :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Cfickter

Here are a couple of thoughts

If you have another humidor with a hygrometer you feel is working try swapping them out.  Put the reliable one in the new humi and the new one in the old and then compare.  Who knows you might have a defective hygrometer

Another suggestion, and this might make a few people cringe, is to take a very high grit numbered sandpaper, like 150 to 300 and very lightly sand the cedar, then using a lint free cloth wipe out the inside.  this will possibly open up the pours of the wood and allow for better absorption.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

toby2

been having issues with a Boveda kit myself. it's saying all my hygrometers including the non-adjustable ones are 6 points off. when i checked them against my work hygrometer, a Fluke 971, they were 4-6 points off after setting them with the Boveda kit. I'm so confused! :biggrin:

05Venturer

QuoteSmoky82 - 4/20/2017  12:50 PM

Hey all.

New forum member here.  I have a Craftsman Bench Taj Mahal 110 count. I have used the wipe-down seasoning method twice. I also have a digital hygrometer that I calibrated with a with Boveda calibration kit. No matter what I do I cant get this thing above 65% ever. I have tried the dollar bill test and it seems fine. I have tried the sponge,
Xikar crystal sticks and Jar, and now i've started with the Heartfelt beads.  Still the humidity hovers around 58%. I'm at a loss here. Ive been messing with this for a year now and i'm about to just toss the humidor and get a cooler. Any advice would be appreciated.

First question is "How are your cigars smoking?"
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

DonM

Quotetoby2 - 4/21/2017  12:12 PM

been having issues with a Boveda kit myself. it's saying all my hygrometers including the non-adjustable ones are 6 points off. when i checked them against my work hygrometer, a Fluke 971, they were 4-6 points off after setting them with the Boveda kit. I'm so confused! :biggrin:

I had problems with accuracy using the Boveda kit as well.....

"The Curmudgeon"

DonM

Quote05Venturer - 4/21/2017  2:16 PM

QuoteSmoky82 - 4/20/2017  12:50 PM

Hey all.

First question is "How are your cigars smoking?"

Agree with this one, if your cigars are smoking well, forgetaboutit??

"The Curmudgeon"

bstessl

Hop on over to the newbie thread and introduce yourself, we'd like to know a bit more about you.

I had an issue with a humidor a few years back that didn't seal just right at the hinge, tightened a screw and it was perfect.  That could be a possibility, if the seal seems good, I like the sandpaper idea
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.