Herfin once again in Jacksonville

Started by Cap10_Morgan, 05/01/2017 04:24 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cap10_Morgan

Hey there, everyone!  I have "been a member" (if you want to call it that) of this site for years, but never posted.  Mostly just used the humidor tool (since I am a big nerd and have to have everything in excel, this site was the best).  I came across some rough times and picked up smoking cigarettes again, so quit cigars.  A) Cigars were my "reward" the first time I quit smoking, and B) They just didn't taste the same and were a waste of my money (especially since I was spending so much on cigarettes).  So... finally quit again and decided to reward myself once again.  I have a BADLY neglected humidor that I am actually just planning on ignoring for now.  I plan on starting from scratch, getting a new humidor, and building a new stash.  I actually love variety, so I will probably just buy as many samplers as I can.  I've never bought a box of cigars, and only have a few go-to cigars that I will go back to and buy a few or make sure they are in a sampler I order.  To me, it is the discovery of new things in each and every stick that makes smoking cigars such a pleasure.  I look forward to picking some of your brains for ideas on some of those discoveries, as well as the Alcohol and Cigars forum that I enjoyed reading so much that I am pretty sure it makes me a hardcore alcoholic.

EDIT: Wow, literally 1st post after 7 years!
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Cfickter

Jeff, welcome to Geeks from Pittsburgh
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Beegerply

Welcome Jeff enjoy the site.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

jagfandaddy

Welcome neighbor! Join our herf tonight!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

jagfandaddy

Might have to get with gitfiddl and have our own herf one night
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ninfiction

Jeez 7 years...depending on when you quit a lot has changed during that time. Welcome back!
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cap10_Morgan

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  Glad to be "back", lol.

Quotejagfandaddy - 5/1/2017  6:52 PM

I might have to take you up on that.  I recently realized I also don't have any friends who enjoy a good cigar.  Is there a local group from Cigar Geeks that meets up or something?  Is it at a cigar bar around town or something?

Quoteninfiction - 5/1/2017  7:12 PM

Jeez 7 years...depending on when you quit a lot has changed during that time. Welcome back!

I quit around 2012-2013.  I still smoked an occasional cigar, but I'm talking like maybe 3 a year.  Since I quit smoking cigarettes, I picked one up while sitting out on the porch one day and was hooked back immediately.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

benchjockey

Welcome back to cigars, Jeff, and it's good to see you are establishing a presence on this site.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

jagfandaddy

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/1/2017  7:08 PM

Thanks for the warm welcome, everyone!  Glad to be "back", lol.

Quotejagfandaddy - 5/1/2017  6:52 PM

I might have to take you up on that.  I recently realized I also don't have any friends who enjoy a good cigar.  Is there a local group from Cigar Geeks that meets up or something?  Is it at a cigar bar around town or something?

I'm not sure how many of us are in Jax. Don't think there is a local group.

Quoteninfiction - 5/1/2017  7:12 PM

I quit around 2012-2013.  I still smoked an occasional cigar, but I'm talking like maybe 3 a year.  Since I quit smoking cigarettes, I picked one up while sitting out on the porch one day and was hooked back immediately.
 George Burns

bstessl

If you're looking to sit and smoke with the guys, try out a "Google Herf". Some of us like to get in a Google Hangout and give each other Shyte on a regular basis
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Cap10_Morgan

Quotebstessl - 5/2/2017  2:10 PM

If you're looking to sit and smoke with the guys, try out a "Google Herf". Some of us like to get in a Google Hangout and give each other Shyte on a regular basis

That's what I JUST found out he was talking about.  When he said join his herf, I thought he meant there was a local group that met up or something.  I might join sometime, but not sure when during Stanley Cup Playoffs.

McBryde

Welcome aboard form Arkansas Jeff, glad you decided to join this live half of the forum!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteMcBryde - 5/2/2017  11:00 PM

Welcome aboard form Arkansas Jeff, glad you decided to join this live half of the forum!

E

Thanks.  I'm really diggin it so far.  Learning a lot (although admittedly mostly about alcohol pairing with cigars) and really like the friendly atmosphere.  Some of you guys seem to be true friends with one another.  Especially looking at all the cigar bombs, giveaways, and birthdays, etc etc.  This looks like a generous bunch and I am looking forward to building my stash up enough to take part in some of these things.

Cap10_Morgan

Speaking of generous bunch, I've seen some badges that say Troops Supporter but says for 2013.  Was this a 1 year only thing?  Otherwise, it sounds like something right up my alley.  I have done a lot of volunteer/fundraising for veterans with my car club.  Shoot, I wonder if we could take cigar donations at our next car show (which usually raises money for Homes for our Troops)

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/2/2017  11:51 PM

Speaking of generous bunch, I've seen some badges that say Troops Supporter but says for 2013.  Was this a 1 year only thing?  Otherwise, it sounds like something right up my alley.  I have done a lot of volunteer/fundraising for veterans with my car club.  Shoot, I wonder if we could take cigar donations at our next car show (which usually raises money for Homes for our Troops)

Nevermind.  It looks like I just needed to hit the home link and itbwas right at the top about the 8th annual cigars for troops.  (I saved a different link)  Looking forward to particiapting this year.  That is a great thing you guys do.  Wish someone sent me stogies in the Army, lol.

bstessl

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/2/2017  4:50 PM

, but not sure when during Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No explanation needed, who you rooting for?

The herfs go all year round... Lol
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

shakinghorizons

Welcome back! What are your go-to cigars? Can you elaborate on how you neglected your stash and why you don't want to revive it?

klamm143

Welcome back............don't get lost again.........."Geeks-Orders"..........LOL.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cap10_Morgan

Quotebstessl - 5/3/2017  1:58 AM

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/2/2017  4:50 PM

, but not sure when during Stanley Cup Playoffs.

No explanation needed, who you rooting for?

The herfs go all year round... Lol

Rooting for the Blues and not looking good. :cry:   Weird story, I was born in CT but moved to FL when I was 5.  Got into hockey, but FL didn't have any teams at the time.  I was just starting playing the sax and picked the Blues literally for their name and logo, lol.  But with Pronger and Macinnis as their D men in those days, I fell in love and have been loyal since.  I am pretty sure I am the only St Louis fan in Florida.

Cap10_Morgan

Quoteshakinghorizons - 5/3/2017  2:36 AM

Welcome back! What are your go-to cigars? Can you elaborate on how you neglected your stash and why you don't want to revive it?

My "go-to" cigars were limited to CAO Gold Maduro and RyJ Reserva Real.  I'm not sure if they still would be as my tastes have definitely changed since I first started, but they were the first 2 favs I had.  Normally though, I don't keep buying the same cigars.  One of the things I enjoy most about them is how each one is a different experience.  I like not knowing what I'm getting and discovering new things.  Then again, I probably haven't smoked nearly as many as most people here.  Even in my "prime" I usually only smoke 1-2 a week.  So I'm sure it gets harder to find new things after years/thousands of cigars a lot of you have smoked, lol.

As for my neglected humi, I'm not going to DITCH it.  But A)I smoked the good ones first so there is pretty much crap left and B) I am using it as an excuse to buy a newer (BIGGER) humidor with the wife.  It sat for years without ever checking or adding juice/water.  Most of the sticks were pretty dried out.  I have smoked a few lately and they all crack apart and just taste aweful.  (Again, could be they are the crap cigars left)  I NOW know there are ways to try save them from reading around here.  But basically there isn't anything left worth saving and I'll just smoke those after I've had a few.  Just gives me a chance to buy a bigger humi and start a new stash anyway!

Cap10_Morgan

Quoteklamm143 - 5/3/2017  3:59 AM

Welcome back............don't get lost again.........."Geeks-Orders"..........LOL.

I won't.... I promise!

05Venturer

Looks like I missed Welcoming you to the group brother

:welcome:  from NW Sconnie
Glad to have you "Still" here   :thumbsup:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Cap10_Morgan

Quote05Venturer - 5/3/2017  6:38 PM

Looks like I missed Welcoming you to the group brother

:welcome:  from NW Sconnie
Glad to have you "Still" here   :thumbsup:

Thanks, you didn't miss anything.  I'll be around for a while this time.

Cap10_Morgan

Just wanted to come back here and thank everyone for the warm welcome.  I have posted in some random old threads asking questions, I have asked my fair share of stupid questions, have joined a few virtual herfs, etc etc... and everyone has been extremely helpful and a joy to get to know.  I wish I had ventured into the forums of this site 7 years ago, but I am absolutely thrilled I have found it now.  Better late than never, right?

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.