New Humidor

Started by Costas, 05/24/2017 10:58 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Costas

Hi, I'm new to the cigar world (2 years only) and i recently started to buy more than one cigar!

I have a realy nice wooden box that i can make it seal perfectly but the interior is upholstered with a red cloth. Is this a problem for a humidor? I want to use this box because it very old and beautiful.

Jackal

To make a proper humidor, you need a wood that can absorb moisture without warping.  Also, the wood and finish cannot impart malodor to the cigars.

Spanish cedar (very different from American Cedar) is the most commonly used material for these reasons.  It also naturally repels insects (dreaded tobacco beetle).  Most humidors are lined with this material.

The interior of a humidor is going to be at a humidity of ~70% (RH).  This will probably destroy any fabric or cause it to grow mold.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

jagfandaddy

First off, welcome to the site!!
It would be better to have a Spanish ceder lined box. Anything else could give off flavors to the cigars. I'm sure others will chime in on this subject. There is lots of great information on this site.
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

bstessl

How big is the box?  If it's not too large, maybe you can use it to store your cigar accessories instead of cigars.  

You should head over to the newbie thread and introduce yourself, give us some background about what you like to smoke.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Cap10_Morgan

As others have said, you definitely don't want felt and really should have spanish cedar.  If the box is that important to you though or is nice enough, you could always take out the felt and line the interior of the box with spanish cedar yourself.  I have seen a lot of "make your own humidor" information out there, so just google if you are interested.  Just make sure to use the cedar and don't use anything in the process that will impart any other flavors to your cigars (be careful of glue, etc)
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Costas

Thank you all for your advices i will buy apropper humidor and use that box for storage as bstessl sayed!! I think that's the smart way to go.

Thx again!

Otter

Welcome to the group Costas
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

st_andrew

QuoteCostas - 5/24/2017  9:41 PM

Thank you all for your advices i will buy apropper humidor and use that box for storage as bstessl sayed!! I think that's the smart way to go.

Thx again!

Good idea.  It would be a pity to ruin what seems like a lovely box whilst at the same time ruin the good cigars that you are starting to purchase in numbers.  By your method, you will be able enjoy both box and cigars :)

ninfiction

QuoteCostas - 5/25/2017  6:41 AM

Thx again!

The other, cheap/unattractive/but easy option is to use a tupperware type container. Just need to make sure it is airtight, toss a couple(depending on size) Boveda packs in and you're set.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Camshaft83

I just bought a wine fridge and use 6 tupperdors that have Spanish cedar lined bottoms and a 69% boveda in each. Have around 225 sticks and 4 bottles of wine with room for 4 more and a few more cigars.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Camshaft83

I have a treasure dome i could sell you. Shipping isn't cheap though. Where do you live?
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

klamm143

QuoteCamshaft83 - 5/27/2017  12:59 AM  I just bought a wine fridge and use 6 tupperdors that have Spanish cedar lined bottoms and a 69% boveda in each. Have around 225 sticks and 4 bottles of wine with room for 4 more and a few more cigars.

DANG NICE set up there CamShaft83........

:thumbsup:

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

klamm143

Costas - WELCOME to CG.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Otter

QuoteJackal - 5/24/2017  3:32 PM

To make a proper humidor, you need a wood that can absorb moisture without warping.  Also, the wood and finish cannot impart malodor to the cigars.

Spanish cedar (very different from American Cedar) is the most commonly used material for these reasons.  It also naturally repels insects (dreaded tobacco beetle).  Most humidors are lined with this material.

The interior of a humidor is going to be at a humidity of ~70% (RH).  This will probably destroy any fabric or cause it to grow mold.

:word:
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

alexxx84962

I have recently bought a travel humidor by Quality Importers as a gift for my brother. He LOVES it. He says the humidor is perfect and he's not afraid to leave his super fancy cigars there. Besides this thing is so roomy. Largest perk- it just looks like a really cool and decorative world map box.

Cfickter

Welcome to the site.
A lot goes into choosing a humidor and even more into converting an existing box into one.  A few people mentioned several cheap alternatives like Tuppadores.  Always a solid option.  But if your heart is set on a humidor then here are a few suggestions
First size - take the metric conversion approach, figure out the number of cigars you think you would like to have at home, double it and add 32.
Second, start saving for humidor number two.
Take time to season properly, don't hurry.  If you need them I have some pre moistened wipes I would be happy to send
Invest in a good digital hygrometer
If you decide on a smaller size just use Bovida packs to control Rh.  Super easy, rechargable, inexpensive, dependable

But really you can get a decent humidor for a low priced on cBid.com.  You can get smaller humidors (25-50 cigars, although it will really hold 25-30) for under $40
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

West88

I started out just using Tupperware and boveda packs, still do, but had an old pelican case that I converted into a humidor. Don't go out and spend a lot of money if that's your issue at all, use what you got on hand.
"Better to have that and not need it than need it and not have it" Captain Woodrow F. Call

Valetnlv

You don't need Spanish cedar for shelves, but buy some Spanish cedar drawers it will be fine. Just my 2 cents

arrow34

Welcome!  I would check letgo, craigslist or facebook marketplace for a humidor.  You can find a decent one for cheap.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.