Old Fashioned - Makers or the Gentleman

Started by M82, 05/25/2017 09:29 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M82

Having friends over for the long weekend - hoping to smoke a cigar and enjoy an Old Fashioned in the evenings. Question I have is after reading recipes for this the "original" cocktail, I see multiple options for the actual fuel in it. What has anybody reading this used if you've mixed one. Trying to decide between Makers Mark and Gentleman Jacks -
Any ideas for me as I light my first premium cigar ever while enjoying my first Old Fashioned ? ( Having some hard candy on hand for my first stogie?  - got that :)  Thanks !

ninfiction

I have a friend that makes a spectacular Old Fashioned, he uses Jack Daniels. sugar cube, bitters, orange peel or small slice, maraschino cheery + juice. Oh man...

It's almost more about the other ingredients than the whiskey or bourbon, bitters is important I think
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cap10_Morgan

Sounds good.  Anyone want to share the actual recipe (portions) of a great old fashioned along with what brands?
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

ninfiction

Here's one I found on the Google that seems very close to what my friend makes. When using bitters a little goes a long way, so 2-3 dashes is it. If you don't have a muddler just use anything that will smash the sugar cube.

2 oz bourbon or rye -- I've used Maker's Mark, Hudson Whiskey Maple Cask Rye, and Seagrams 7 before, my favorite is Maker's Mark
    Sugar cube and a splash of water or a small amount of rich simple syrup (2:1 sugar to water)
    Bitters -- I've used Angostura and Hudson Whiskey Basement Bitters before
    Garnishes -- orange peel and maraschino cherry

If using a sugar cube, I douse the sugar cube in bitters. add a splash of water to help things along, and muddle the s**t out of it. If using simple syrup, I add the simple syrup and the bitters, then stir to combine. Then I add the cherry, then the ice, then the whiskey. Stir the drink a few times to chill. Express the oils from the orange peel over the drink, rub it around the rim of the glass, then slip it into the drink.

Edit: You can use club soda or something instead of water, you don't need a lot. And do add a splash of maraschino juice to top it off.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Rebecca Silverwolf

An Old Fashioned contains:
1 tsp Granulated Sugar (or one sugar cube)
1-3 Dashes of Bitters (to taste, Angostura is the classic)
1.5-2 oz Bourbon
Splash of Water or Soda Water

Muddle the sugar, thoroughly, with the bitters and water in a lowball glass. (Sometimes called an Old Fashioned glass) Add ice to fill the glass, then add the bourbon. Stir gently.

While not traditional, a garnish of orange and a cherry is popular.

As far as what whiskey to use, between the choice of Gentleman Jack and Makers Mark, I would go with Makers. My bourbon of choice is Bulleit, personally.
"Well, we may not have parted on the best of terms. I realize certain words were exchanged. Also certain... bullets."

"If I ever kill you, you'll be awake, you'll be facing me, and you'll be armed."

-Captain Malcolm Reynolds

cavenbk

I actually use Irish whiskey, Jameson's, when I make my Old Fashioned. I also sometimes use orange bitters instead of Angostura just to mix things up, so to speak.
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

sar127

I've always used Woodford in mine.  :confused:
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

M82

Quoteninfiction - 5/25/2017  10:55 PM

I have a friend that makes a spectacular Old Fashioned, he uses Jack Daniels. sugar cube, bitters, orange peel or small slice, maraschino cheery + juice. Oh man...

It's almost more about the other ingredients than the whiskey or bourbon, bitters is important I think

Yep this is what I plan to do - I do have the Angostura bitters - Think I'll try the Gentleman Jacks. Also have some great Old Fashioned glasses and a muddle and stirrer in cart at Amazon. Wanted to make sure I liked these before moving forward with the whole kit.
Something about a classic old cocktail like this and a cigar. To me it seems fitting so I'm building up my inventory of cigars and giving this one a go. I'll let you know how it goes as well as the cigar ! . (I think I'm going to choose the Arturo Fuente Gran Reserva Rothschild as my first cigar.. )

klamm143

Quoteninfiction - 5/25/2017  11:14 PM  Here's one I found on the Google that seems very close to what my friend makes. When using bitters a little goes a long way, so 2-3 dashes is it. If you don't have a muddler just use anything that will smash the sugar cube.        2 oz bourbon or rye -- I've used Maker's Mark, Hudson Whiskey Maple Cask Rye, and Seagrams 7 before, my favorite is Maker's Mark     Sugar cube and a splash of water or a small amount of rich simple syrup (2:1 sugar to water)     Bitters -- I've used Angostura and Hudson Whiskey Basement Bitters before     Garnishes -- orange peel and maraschino cherry  If using a sugar cube, I douse the sugar cube in bitters. add a splash of water to help things along, and muddle the s**t out of it. If using simple syrup, I add the simple syrup and the bitters, then stir to combine. Then I add the cherry, then the ice, then the whiskey. Stir the drink a few times to chill. Express the oils from the orange peel over the drink, rub it around the rim of the glass, then slip it into the drink.   Edit: You can use club soda or something instead of water, you don't need a lot. And do add a splash of maraschino juice to top it off.

:drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:  :drinking:
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cfickter

well that is enough on the drinks, lets talk about the cigar.
Are you going to buy something or chose from your humidor?  If buying what is your budget?
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

shakinghorizons

I have never heard of using anything other than Southern Comfort.

Deener27

Or you could step up to the plate and make a Scotch Old Fashioned.   :biggrin:

I second the notion that you use 1.5-2 oz of liquor, muddle together an orange slice, a sugar cube, a cherry and some orange bitters.  If you can find Fee Brothers, that is a fine bottle of bitters.  Mix together and I use a dash of soda water.  Damn fine drink.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

M82

QuoteCfickter - 5/26/2017  7:34 AM

well that is enough on the drinks, lets talk about the cigar.
Are you going to buy something or chose from your humidor?  If buying what is your budget?

Going to hit the humidor stash ! Was thinking the Arturo Fuentes Rothschild ? Maybe the Baccarat ? Something easy going - well most if not all of my inventory is mild to medium.

M82

OR do I go all in and have the HDM Petite Robusto ? As I do have a few of those  :) make my first an ISOM

Jackal

Anyone muddling the orange or cherry needs to be put on a raft and pushed out to sea.

For a less sweet old fashioned, I enjoy Forty Creek in place of bourbon.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

M82

I was just going to drop the cherry in - squeeze the orange peel to release the oils and drop it in. Muddle the sugar cube spritzed with bitters.

"Put on a raft and pushed out to sea"  :lmao:  :lmao:

toby2

sounds interesting but  i'm with Michaleen Oge Flynn, "When I drink whiskey I drink whiskey ad when I drink water I drink water". never could go for sweet drinks.

M82

Quotetoby2 - 5/26/2017  3:50 PM

sounds interesting but  i'm with Michaleen Oge Flynn, "When I drink whiskey I drink whiskey ad when I drink water I drink water". never could go for sweet drinks.

My brother JUST told me I should only be mixing that Gentleman Jacks with...... ice.  hahah

cavenbk

Looks good! What whiskey did you decide to go with?
You can judge the character of a man by the things he laughs at.

"A man's true character comes out when he's drunk."     - Charles Chaplin

M82

Which option do I choose for the picture on PhotoBucket. Can't get it to post right ! I guess after choosing share and get links I'm picking the wrong one.  :-0

M82

We went with the Gentleman Jacks -  after the first one we forgot the bitters and sugar and all that. Pouring the good Gentleman right on ice and adding a cherry for decoration. Hopefully rain will get out of here and we will have round two tonight.
Somebody help me with the pictures and I'll add more -  :cigarman:

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteM82 - 5/27/2017  6:46 PM

Which option do I choose for the picture on PhotoBucket. Can't get it to post right ! I guess after choosing share and get links I'm picking the wrong one.  :-0

HTML link is the one you want.  The one that starts with < followed by a href (sorry, couldnt spell it out without it thinking it was code.

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Cap10_Morgan

Also, thanks for letting me semi-hijack your thread asking for recipes.  I picked up some Angostura bitters, oranges and cherries.  Added to the Old Forester bourbon I had on hand (I don't mix expensive booze" and simple syrup also on hand.  Took a few to get right, but had to go heavy on the bourbon and like ONE dash of bitters, and it is pretty darn tasty!

M82

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/27/2017  9:42 PM

QuoteM82 - 5/27/2017  6:46 PM

HTML link is the one you want.  The one that starts with < followed by a href (sorry, couldnt spell it out without it thinking it was code.

Thanks !

M82

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 5/27/2017  9:46 PM

Also, thanks for letting me semi-hijack your thread asking for recipes.  I picked up some Angostura bitters, oranges and cherries.  Added to the Old Forester bourbon I had on hand (I don't mix expensive booze" and simple syrup also on hand.  Took a few to get right, but had to go heavy on the bourbon and like ONE dash of bitters, and it is pretty darn tasty!

No problem ! Glad you "joined" us !

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.