Hello from me and question about "My Humidor"

Started by Hell-G, 05/27/2017 06:15 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Hell-G

Hi guys!

Another noob joining the community. This one is all the way from Switzerland  :dancing: Hello everybody!!

I have been browsing around and also searched the forum. But I am already at the point of asking my first question. I am not only new here, but I am also new to smoking cigars. I have recently been introduced to the pleasure of drinking rum and smoking cigars. I have always liked rum, but together with a cigar, it gets even better. Till now, I have been very passionate about my wine collection, but now I want to do the same thing with my cigars. I am a user of the Cellar Tracker website and have all my wines listed there. So I was looking for something similar for my cigars. My collection is still small, but I would like to do it right from the beginning. That's why I found this webpage and entered my few cigars into the "My Humidor" section of my profile. Being a bit OCD about my wines, I was hoping, that we could have some more details about our cigars in here too. I am especially interested in a feature to not just smoke a cigar and therefore remove it from my inventory here, but also add a date for when I smoked it, maybe even with a little comment. It would be nice, if the system then calculates the "aged" value in the list, so I can later look up after how much aging I smoked the cigars.
Is there a way to do this? Or is there a way to ask for features?

Thanks guys!

Hell-G

Deener27

Welcome from the Chicago Area.  

I am not really the best person regarding the virtual humidor, but just wanted to welcome you.  There are some great geeks here who may be able to help you with your question.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

christophernagy

Welcome from a fellow noob.

I have been putting the date smoked in the notes.  That way I can tell (roughly) at a glace how long they sat in my humidor.  That is usually enough for me.

I also put the location from which I purchased them in the notes.  I am learning that not all online retailers are the same, and it helps to understand who is and is not warehousing properly.

Anyway, welcome aboard from Minnesota.

Cfickter

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Savonian

Welcome from another fellow European!  :welcome:

Camshaft83

Welcome to CG from Utah.  I also put a short review in my notes that include approximate age when smoked, where it was bought, and tasting notes.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Cap10_Morgan

Welcome from Florida!  I am OCD also, and would also like more info with the My Humidor feature.  This is one of the reasons I started using this site years ago, because of not only the virtual humidor feature, but more importantly, the ability to export to Excel.  I am planning on making a spreadsheet to track more info such as my ratings and dates smoked, etc.  If you put the date in the notes, when you export, you can have a spreadsheet pick out that date and add it to a new column and calculate those dates for you.  You just need to use some kind of delimiter or be consistent with formatting, etc.

For example, I just tested it out and put Smoked: 05/27/2017 in the notes (plus other things I plan on using like source, review, rating, etc... thanks for giving me the push to get started, lol)
In excel I created a "Date Smoked" column and used the following formula:  =IFERROR(MID(G1,FIND("Smoked: ",G1)+8,10),"")
The only problem is, you would need to make sure you ALWAYS have a space between the : and date, and always us MM/DD/YYYY formatting (05 for may, otherwise double digit months would cause issues.)  I plan on having a template I will copy and paste into the notes section to keep consistency anyway.

There are more efficient ways to do this, but this was just a quickie to show you what can be done just by using that export feature.  I am happy with having basic info available at a quick glance on the web, but more detailed info available in a spreadsheet if needed.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Cap10_Morgan

If anyone is interested, I just worked out a little template for the spreadsheet mentioned above.

Using this template in the notes section in "My Humidor" on this site:

Source:
Smoked:
Rating:
Review:
(Decided not to be lazy and allow for spaces or not after colon, but make sure to use MM/DD/YYYY formatting (05/01/2017 is same length as 12/12/2017))

Export to excel, then add formulas.  (Save this file and in the future just copy paste the export to your file with the formulas, etc)

Date Smoked column:
=IFERROR(TRIM(MID(G2,FIND("Smoked:",G2)+7,FIND("Rating:",G2)-FIND("Smoked:",G2)-8)),"")

Age When Smoked column:
=IFERROR(DATEDIF(D2,H2,"y")&" years "&DATEDIF(D2,H2,"ym")&" months "&DATEDIF(D2,H2,"md")
&" days","")

Or if you don't want X years, Y months, Z days and just want number of days, you can just use
=IFERROR(H2-D2,"")

Source Column:
=IFERROR(TRIM(MID(G2,FIND("Source:",G2)+7,FIND("Smoked:",G2)-FIND("Source:",G2)-8)),"")

Rating Column:
=IFERROR(TRIM(MID(G2,FIND("Rating:",G2)+7,FIND("Review:",G2)-FIND("Rating:",G2)-8)),"")

Review Column: (this will have everything after "Review: ", so if you include anything else it will be in this column)
=IFERROR(RIGHT(G2,LEN(G2)-FIND("Review:",G2)-6),"")

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

ntanner

Welcome from New Mexico. Can't help with the humidor questions as it works for me but my philosophy is more of a have a smoke and forget about it. I was immunized for OCD a long time ago. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ninfiction

Hello and welcome! I do like some of the other guys and use the notes field to keep track of any extra info I think I might need like where I bought it, box codes or who sent it to me. Previous smokes though I'm more in line Neal, I smoke it and forget it, unless I need more then I add it to my wishlist...or sometimes I just order more right away.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Cap10_Morgan

One of the main reasons I like to keep track of previous smokes is to help "find my flavor profile" and remember ones I liked and didn't like, what they have in common, etc.

M82

klamm143

Welcome from North Carolina..............
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Brlesq

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Hell-G

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome! Really nice to see how much effort you take to welcome new people!!

Thanks for all those hints and suggestions. I will definitely start to work with the notes and I am stealing your template Cap10_Morgan :-D

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteHell-G - 5/28/2017  10:21 AM

Hey guys,

Thanks a lot for the warm welcome! Really nice to see how much effort you take to welcome new people!!

Thanks for all those hints and suggestions. I will definitely start to work with the notes and I am stealing your template Cap10_Morgan :-D

That's what it is there for :bigthumbs:

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.