Ziplock Bag with Boveda?

Started by M82, 06/08/2017 08:15 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

M82

Considering taking a few ISOM sticks to a friend this weekend. I know he has a humidor with NC in it. Wondering how well a good Qt. ziplock bag would store a few with a small 62RH Boveda in it? By store I mean for a while possibly.  Seems like it would be OK but wanted to run it by the geeks..  Thanks for any thoughts and putting up with my dumb questions !

jagfandaddy

Depends on what you mean by "a while"  It should be fine for a few days but long term, better off in at least in a Tupperware type container.
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

05Venturer

why not just store the CC's along with the NC's?   :confused:

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

M82

Quote05Venturer - 6/8/2017  10:34 PM

Ive just been left under the impression that the CC's keep and smoke much better at the lower RH.. Maybe Im over thinking it.. ?

05Venturer

I keep all of my cigars at 65 RH +/- 3 and have no troubles.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

headfirst

I've used zip locks with black ice long term with no issues.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

quickme

Quote05Venturer - 6/9/2017  10:07 AM

i do the same.  Don't over think it.  If you do keep your other sticks at a higher RH than drybox your ISOM for a couple days before you light it up.

bstessl

Ziplock should work just fine until the Bovedas dry out... But I agree with Kent
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Jackal

I've used ziploc bags with a piece of spanish cedar and a Boveda to a bag-a-dor.  Works fine for months.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Brlesq

QuoteM82 - 6/9/2017  5:15 AM

Quote05Venturer - 6/8/2017  10:34 PM

Ive just been left under the impression that the CC's keep and smoke much better at the lower RH.. Maybe Im over thinking it.. ?

I agree with you!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

headfirst

I actually did notice that one was surprisingly wet when I smoked it and it was kept in a 66-68 humi.  Maybe there's something to that...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

Brlesq

Quoteheadfirst - 6/9/2017  4:18 PM

I actually did notice that one was surprisingly wet when I smoked it and it was kept in a 66-68 humi.  Maybe there's something to that...

IF I had any ISOMs  ;-) they would  be kept at 60-63%, probably for years!  And they would always smoke beautifully ! :biggrin:

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

calvarez

Quote05Venturer - 6/9/2017  4:07 AM

Pretty much the same here, 64-66 with two calibrated hygrometers.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

The Burn Ward

QuoteBrlesq - 6/9/2017  5:22 PM

Quoteheadfirst - 6/9/2017  4:18 PM

IF I had any ISOMs  ;-) they would  be kept at 60-63%, probably for years!  And they would always smoke beautifully ! :biggrin:

I concur. That is if i had any :biggrin:

The Burn Ward

I keep all my cigars in my travel humi with a 65 boveda sometimes a cigar will stay a little longer than the rest but still never an issue. Country of origin makes no difference.

frankj1

late to the party, but at one time I had 400 to 500 cigars, some in boxes, some in small bags, and all in thick mil 2 gallon freezer bags with the double track closing feature, not the plastic zipper tab thing.

depending on how many were in a large freezer bag, I'd drop in some small 62 bovedas. often I'd drop one right in the box as well. Then I kept the freezer bags in the drawers of an empty dresser in a spare room where the temp was pretty much 65-68 year round, a bit cooler in the dresser.

from there, just went by feel, especially with cc's, and looked for just a bit of label slippage before smoking. Most of the time no issues, but prelight draw will tell you if it's ready.

not the hugest collection, but a pretty good sample size, and some were stored for a few years.

Frank

frankj1

btw, the above was taught to me by a collector in Orlando. I live near Boston. Works fine for each of us, actually better than my humidor ever worked.

DonM

As Frank pointed out, use a thick zip lock!  Those cheap zip locks are porous and will have an effect on the stored RH.  I

I use hygrometers very little anymore, only as a reference when the RH is dropping in my humidor. Heartfelt beads keep my humidor amazingly perfect as far as storage goes. A travel humi will store cigars well for short periods without any humidifier.  A Boveda in a travel humidor will last for quite some time

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.