New Cabinet Humidor Project

Started by Olddog, 06/11/2017 06:02 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olddog

Purchased a cabinet humidor from Quality Importers on Amazon.  Received it Friday and really happy with it so far.  The packaging was good, nothing broke or scratched, and all parts were included.  Was able to unpack it myself and move it around to where I wanted it.  Comes with wheels that have brakes and were easy to install.  The door seems to seal good and should hold the humidity well.  A pretty cheap hygrometer is included and right now trying to get it calibrated, don't have plans to use that as my main source.  Have a cigar oasis Magnum to handle the humidification of the cabinet and also got LED light strips and a door switch to have them come on when the door is opened.  Starting to season it and that will take a few days for sure.  This is a bigger undertaking than I expected, but in the end I am sure it will be well worth it.  Will update this thread as I go along.  Right now just some basic photos showing what I am putting together.

Cabinet Humidor 

Top Closeup 

Bottom Closeup

"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

ninfiction

Nice looking cabinet. Where does the door latch? Looks like there is a magnet or something at the top, does it also latch in the middle?
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Olddog

Quoteninfiction - 6/11/2017  7:32 PM  Nice looking cabinet. Where does the door latch? Looks like there is a magnet or something at the top, does it also latch in the middle?

It has 3 magnet latches (top, middle and bottom) at the bottom there is also a latch for the door to catch onto of course a key lock in the middle.  Overall the door stays closed really well.

"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

shakinghorizons

Pictures aren't working for me (mobile or PC).

Olddog

Quoteshakinghorizons - 6/12/2017  9:25 AM  Pictures aren't working for me (mobile or PC).

Got it working, should be up now. 

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

tjm0831

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Cap10_Morgan

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

benchjockey

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

sar127

Looks fantastic, good for you!
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

Camshaft83

Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

appollo

DonM

:bigthumbs: Very nice,  need one as well!  I have 2 very expensive hobby's:  Cigars and Harley's.  The Harley has been getting all of the love lately

"The Curmudgeon"

M82

Wow.. . maybe someday for me ! Enjoy

Joelala

Joe

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Olddog

6/24/17 Update---- Have seasoned the cabinet for about a week now and humidity is stable and doing good.  Added LED lighting to it as you can see and pretty happy with it.  Was worried about if the door would close good in the position I have the strips and it does.  Trying to decide if I want to install the IR door open switch so that the LED's come on only when the door is open.  Right now it's not installed and sort of like being able to turn them on/off and change the color with the included remote.  Will start stocking it tomorrow after it has a night to re-stabilize.  The picture of the red isn't good at all, looks better than the picture

klamm143

.............Nice.................When you going to ship it to me?????....................ENJOY IT.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

ninfiction

If you have a couple more hygrometers laying around I would add them at different levels. My cabinet varies quite a bit from top to middle to bottom where I have the humidifier. Your cabinet is much nicer than mine, I have an old model. What's with the big round hole at the top? Does it have some way to pump air from the bottom up the sides or back and out the top?

Also looks like the door on yours has extra Spanish cedar that I guessing when closed the Spanish cedar makes a nice seal all the way around. Mine doesn't have that and I think that's why mine varies so greatly. I need to upgrade, but it's hard to justify when I already have one that works, just could be a little better.

Looks great!
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Olddog

Quoteninfiction - 6/24/2017  11:11 PM  If you have a couple more hygrometers laying around I would add them at different levels. My cabinet varies quite a bit from top to middle to bottom where I have the humidifier. Your cabinet is much nicer than mine, I have an old model. What's with the big round hole at the top? Does it have some way to pump air from the bottom up the sides or back and out the top?  Also looks like the door on yours has extra Spanish cedar that I guessing when closed the Spanish cedar makes a nice seal all the way around. Mine doesn't have that and I think that's why mine varies so greatly. I need to upgrade, but it's hard to justify when I already have one that works, just could be a little better.  Looks great!

With the exception of the cedar on the door yours sounds like mine with the hole on top and all.  Have three wireless tag temp/humidity monitors in the cabinet and there is about a 2 % difference in humidity between top and bottom.  Don't have any other fans except what the Magnum blows and that seems pretty powerful right now, have it pointed at the door so that the air flow goes up (or so I hope).  Once I start putting sticks in it, I'll see how everything goes.  The door seal is very tight, you have to give a good pull/push to get it shut.

M82

Very nice.  Can't wait to see it loaded up ...

Olddog

6-29-2017

Finished loading the cabinet today. Even though it says 2000 cigars will fit, believe that might be if everyone of them is loose and you don't have any boxes in the cabinet.  Even then I think a lot of them will need to be stacked really high to get them all in.  Don't have an exact count, but have about 1200 in the cabinet now, with pretty much every nook an cranny full.  A few pictures showing it loaded:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.