August Member Sponsored Geek Critique

Started by junglepete, 06/28/2017 06:50 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

junglepete

This Geek Critique has been generously sponsored by nirab (Brian)

The Cigar: Southern Draw Rose of Sharon Toro (6.0 x 52)

The Specs:

Country of Origin: Nicaragua
Factory: Tabacalera AJ Fernandez Cigars de Nicaragua S.A.
Wrapper: Ecuadorian Connecticut
Binder: Nicaragua
Filler: Dominican Republic & Nicaragua

The Hype:

Cigars commemorating specific people are nothing new in the cigar industry and Southern Draw Cigars owner Robert Holt added another to the list with a new release. The Rose of Sharon, named after his wife, Sharon Holt, is said to be the mildest offering in the company's portfoilo so far. It incorporates a blend made up of an Ecuadorian Connecticut wrapper, a Nicaraguan binder and filler tobaccos that include Dominican piloto cubano and Nicaraguan seco and visas.

A press release has more information:

She don't know she's beautiful. Besides the apparent beauty of The Rose of Sharon in its semi box pressed format, the release is a celebration of grace and the devotion of Sharon Holt as she continues her daily service via strong faith and daily fellowship. Much like a Rose, Sharon exemplifies our brand with her beautiful soul, humility and a 'subtle' boldness which has made an incredible impact on so many lives.

While all three vitolas of Rose of Sharon are packaged in 20-count boxes, the company is also selling 1,000 Petaca handmade cedar cases that hold two of the toro vitola for $25. any time of day. As my feeble minded co-worker likes to say, "you can savor the flavor all day long."

Due Date: July 26th, 2017

The Reviewers:

Must not have done a review in May, June, or July. Must have contributed at least 5 database reviews. Must be a well established member with at least Veteran status.

Shipping Restrictions: US addresses only please.

1. MacMac (Joe)
2. StogieDad (Michael)
3. bstessl (Brian)
4. danb6177 (Dan)
5. Olddog (Curtis)

Note: A reviewer who posts their review late will receive neutral feedback. A reviewer who does not post at all will receive negative feedback. There are always exceptions to the rule and a reasonable excuse for tardiness or a no show will be respected and thus not counted against the reviewer. Our sponsoring members and our administrators make the choice of who is to participate in any particular Geek Critique and can be better informed of their choices with this initiative in place.

Thanks again to Brian for taking this one on and providing the cigar. THANKS!! And happy smokin'  :smoker:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

MacMac

I'd be very happy to critique this cigar!
Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

StogieDad

I'll throw my hat in the ring.  Been wanting to try those Southern Draw!
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

MacMac

Quotejunglepete - 6/28/2017  7:57 PM

You're in Joe  :-)

All right!!! Happy Dance!!   :dancing:  :dancing:  :dancing:

bstessl

Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

junglepete

Quote05Venturer - 6/28/2017  11:09 PM

hook me up if a curmudgeon is needed

Oops...I believe you did one in June. Sorry
Guru of Frugality

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

StogieDad

"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

danb6177

Quotejunglepete - 7/1/2017  8:45 PM

Still looking for two more reviewers?  :biggrin:

I've been out of pocket for a bit. But having much more time lately. I'll do a review if you need me.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

nirab

Well, I thought I had to line the reviewers up, but Pete did a great job so far!! How about a newbie? I know there are some restrictions, but I know that there are some new geeks out there that have been more active than this hippie!! Pete, if its ok with you, I'd like to choose a newbie for the last slot...
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

Olddog

If you are willing to take a chance on a super newb, I'll do my best for you then.
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

nirab

Pete, pencil in newbie n ol' dog Curtis Griffin!!  :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

junglepete

Guru of Frugality

Cfickter

Dang, see what happens when ur daughter get married!  You miss an opportunity to sign up for something
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

danb6177

QuoteCfickter - 7/6/2017  9:43 PM

Dang, see what happens when ur daughter get married!  You miss an opportunity to sign up for something

Congratz man! Hey if you really wanted to try this stick you can have my spot. Id hate for you to miss the chance if its something you have been looking to try.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Cfickter

Quotedanb6177 - 7/6/2017  9:16 PM  
QuoteCfickter - 7/6/2017  9:43 PM  Dang, see what happens when ur daughter get married!  You miss an opportunity to sign up for something
Congratz man! Hey if you really wanted to try this stick you can have my spot. Id hate for you to miss the chance if its something you have been looking to try.

Dan, no worries, I appreciate the offer but you enjoy doing the review, nice meeting you last night on the herf 

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

nirab

Maybe I'll send out a 6th package for personal review... :biggrin:

it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

Thich Nhat Hanh

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289

McBryde

I love the story on this one, sounds like a good woman!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

MacMac

Looking forward to smoking this cigar!

Olddog

This will be my first time and looking forward to it a lot!
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.