Cyber attack at my work

Started by Jackal, 06/29/2017 11:27 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Jackal

It has been a crazy few days.  My company was hit by the big ransomware attack Monday night.

We have no internet, phones or email.  Because of the weird corporate security setup, we lost our internal network, even though our site didn't get directly infected.

It is amazing how dependant everything is on electronics now.  We can't schedule shipments, do inventory accounting or take orders.  Even payroll can't be processed.

Kind of miss 20 years ago, where something like this would have an inconvenience, rather than crippling.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Deener27

Hope you guys can get things corrected and back again.

Sucks that everything got taken out.  

The company that I was running had everything segregated completely and some redundancy built in to attempt to prevent this.  But alas, nothing is safe.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

05Venturer

Good Luck getting back up and running
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

benchjockey

Hope it isn't  long before you get back on track.
You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Jackal

It is amazing that this story has barely been covered by the news, as it could be the prelude to WW3.  This British have threatened missile strikes if this turns out to be state sponsored, and this has Putin's fingerprints all over it.

runewolf

It hit one of our hospitals in WV too.  If you haven't been hit yet, this might help stave it off until they change the code to ignore it.  https://www.bleepingcomputer.com/news/security/vaccine-not-killswitch-found-for-petya-notpetya-ransomware-outbreak/
--// Signature space for rent \\--

ninfiction

Sounds like a long weekend to me. s**t goes down here I'm leaving....

We had a software update last week that was supposed to be 3 days, turned into 8. One piece of software and we were handicapped, couldn't imagine the entire system shutdown.

I think they have barely covered it because it's been slow to hit the US.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

jagfandaddy

This all reminds me of the Y2K scare
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Jackal

Quotejagfandaddy - 6/29/2017  2:53 PM

This all reminds me of the Y2K scare

Y2k was a scare.  This is going to cost billions worldwide.  Just the loss of Terminal 1 at port of LA is costing millions.  Affected companies similar to the one that I work at have most likely lost tens of millions already.

Merk phamacuticals, Maersk shipping and WPP are all most likely down tens of millions too.

Since most high tech companies  use Just in Time production, disruptions in supply chains can have devastating effects.  When you are making parts that sell for $20k-200k a piece, a line down is very serious business.

I can't even grasp how much the shutdown of the banks, airports, metro lines and the power grid in the Ukraine have already cost.

klamm143

Sounds like AR and Bunker Time to me.....................with lots of sticks and beverages.

BUT, you are so right about all the hidden costs involved with these attacks. AND, the media will not cover it to prevent mass hysteria and panic until one brave media outlet goes out on the limb....then they will all follow suit.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.