McGregor vs Mayweather

Started by danb6177, 07/12/2017 11:04 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danb6177

Ok not sure where this thread gos, not sure if anyone here cares. But to me this is the biggest sports event of our times to date.

Open discussion if you like the fight game. Who you got?

Connor is gonna knock em out.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

ninfiction

I'm huge MMA fan. Really liked Conor before he got rich, now he's just an annoying asshat. Only a so so boxing fan but can't stand Mayweather, he's a piece of trash that beats women.

Conor will be way out of his element, but he does have power. Will he have enough patience to chase Floyd around while Floyd picks him apart is the question. I think the whole fight is a farce and no way I'll pay a penny to watch it...although I subscribe to Showtime so I'm already paying when they finally show it on there some time down the road.

I really think the fight is going to be a stinker...or wishful thinking on my part. Either way I hope they both take their $100m and go away.

All that being said, this world tour presser thing is entertaining.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

West88

If Mayweather wins it will be because the referee calls the fight, McGreggor isn't going to give up even if he is outmatched. Or McGreggor will knock Floyd "money" Mayweather out. Mayweather is older smaller and has a hurt hand, though he is a more experienced boxer, McGreggor wants it more. I'm pulling for Connor, either way it will be a decent fight. I dunno about the biggest sports event of our lives, also there hasn't been a truely great boxer since Lennox Lewis and Mike (kid dynamite) Tyson, like him or not he was a phenomenal boxer minus the ear biting.
"Better to have that and not need it than need it and not have it" Captain Woodrow F. Call

danb6177

Quoteninfiction - 7/13/2017  2:14 AM

I'm huge MMA fan. Really liked Conor before he got rich, now he's just an annoying asshat. Only a so so boxing fan but can't stand Mayweather, he's a piece of trash that beats women.

Conor will be way out of his element, but he does have power. Will he have enough patience to chase Floyd around while Floyd picks him apart is the question. I think the whole fight is a farce and no way I'll pay a penny to watch it...although I subscribe to Showtime so I'm already paying when they finally show it on there some time down the road.

I really think the fight is going to be a stinker...or wishful thinking on my part. Either way I hope they both take their $100m and go away.

All that being said, this world tour presser thing is entertaining.

I used to be a huge boxing fan in the days of holmes and hagler etc..since then boxing to me has been a beat em on points thing with tyson as the exception  and maybe a few others. I think connor is gonna come at him harder then he has seen before...add some ring rust and some "s**t im rich and dont need this aggression" and maybe the kid can pull it off. Mayweather is the favorite no doubt but connor can do it. If anyone can connor can do it. Im having a party and everyone is invted
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----

danb6177

QuoteWest88 - 7/13/2017  2:20 AM

If Mayweather wins it will be because the referee calls the fight, McGreggor isn't going to give up even if he is outmatched. Or McGreggor will knock Floyd "money" Mayweather out. Mayweather is older smaller and has a hurt hand, though he is a more experienced boxer, McGreggor wants it more. I'm pulling for Connor, either way it will be a decent fight. I dunno about the biggest sports event of our lives, also there hasn't been a truely great boxer since Lennox Lewis and Mike (kid dynamite) Tyson, like him or not he was a phenomenal boxer minus the ear biting.

if it gos deep mayweather has it, connor doesnt have Floyds stamina. Im seeing a KO for connor. If he cant knock em out he loses
-----

klamm143

Coner........cause he's IRISH and likes Beer. I'm IRISH and like Beer.......so Coner it shall be.  Coner will "hop on" and be "doi'n a number" on Mayweather's "noodle" leaving him "in tatters" and "scundered"..........not to mention that Mayweather can "pog mo thoin na hEireann".  THAT IS ALL!!!!!!!!!!!!
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Cfickter

I can say I am interested in see this just not $100 PPV interested.  
Mayweather hasn't had a knock out in last 7 fights.  I see it going the distance, Mayweahter wins on a closer then poeple thought, but UD
I am just hoping that at some point Conner forgets where he is and pulls off a round house kick
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

toby2

QuoteCfickter - 7/13/2017  8:14 AM  I can say I am interested in see this just not $100 PPV interested.   Mayweather hasn't had a knock out in last 7 fights.  I see it going the distance, Mayweather wins on a closer then people thought, but UD I am just hoping that at some point Conner forgets where he is and pulls off a round house kick

ditto!  :biggrin:  i would love to see that little daisy get put down in a submission tap out.... it's about time Mayweather was in a real fight but we won't see it. gonna catch it on YouTube at some point.  my dumb a$$ paid to see the Rousey suicide so i've done something stupid already and got it out of my system for a bit...

amigodecigars

August 26th in Vegas.  “Look in my eye. I’m gonna bounce your head off the canvas,” said McGregor.                                                                        
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

danb6177

QuoteCfickter - 7/13/2017  10:14 AM

I can say I am interested in see this just not $100 PPV interested.  
Mayweather hasn't had a knock out in last 7 fights.  I see it going the distance, Mayweahter wins on a closer then poeple thought, but UD
I am just hoping that at some point Conner forgets where he is and pulls off a round house kick

It is expensive for sure. Im gonna have 5 over so less than 20 each should be decent. Id love to see him lose a point in the first round for a round house...it would be classic!
-----

clami

My 2 cents - I don't think Conner has a chance - it is just too different of a sport.  Did a little boxing when I was a teenager, and the difference from a good street fighter to a boxer is huge.  Conner is a tough fighter, but this is not fighting.  Boxing is a whole different sport - and one that he does not have much experience in.  I don't think he will see the 5th round.  Now - it would be great to see him go back to reflexes and throw a kick or a take down - could happen!  I thought they should have mixed it up a little - boxing rules for the first half of the fight - MMA for the second.  That way Mayweather does not do his dance moves all night and he actually fights.

Olddog

Quoteclami - 7/13/2017  1:59 PM  My 2 cents - I don't think Conner has a chance - it is just too different of a sport.  Did a little boxing when I was a teenager, and the difference from a good street fighter to a boxer is huge.  Conner is a tough fighter, but this is not fighting.  Boxing is a whole different sport - and one that he does not have much experience in.  I don't think he will see the 5th round.  Now - it would be great to see him go back to reflexes and throw a kick or a take down - could happen!  I thought they should have mixed it up a little - boxing rules for the first half of the fight - MMA for the second.  That way Mayweather does not do his dance moves all night and he actually fights.

Would be a great fight if they did allow it to be half and half like you have laid out.  Like you, don't think he will prevail since the two styles are so different and unless I am wrong he will want to fight his way more which will hold up punches an such since it won't be so reflex like.

"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

BewareDaPenguin

Floyd is gonna make him look silly. I wish they threw in a differnt rule to even the playing field, but straight boxing Conner is going to get worked...if it was in a cage even as opposed to a ring it would help Conner, but just a boxing match Floyd is on another level. It's all hype I think, but I guess we will see
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

metalhead y cigarguy

Biggest sporting event of our times... more like the biggest waste of $100.  I see this thing going 3 rounds.  The first round they'll dance around for the camera's, and then Mayweather will beat McGregor down.  I don't think McGregor makes it past round 3.  I've heard that McGregor's sparring partner has been killing McGregor during training. If he can't handle his boxing sparring partner then how is he going to handle one of the greatest fighters of all time.  This whole event is a joke.  I can't stand Mayweather and would love to see someone knock him out, but it isn't going to be McGregor.
I'm a Guru playing a Guru disguised as another Guru. 

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=metalhead+y+cigarguy

Instagram: metalhead_cigarguy

Cfickter

So far the pressers have been interesting

McGregor
"Somebody's 0 has got to go" - On Mayweather's undefeated record

"He's in a !@#%$ing tracksuit. He can't even afford a suit anymore. The Rolls is a 2012 outside. He is !@#%$ed. There's no other way about it." - Poking fun at Mayweather's attire/tax problems

"As far as the fight, he will be unconscious inside four rounds. The movement, the power, the ferociousness, he has not experienced this. He's fought people who have shied away from him. I don't fear him. I don't fear this limited set of fighting. This is a limited set of rules that makes this half a fight - a quarter of a fight. This isn't a true fight. If this was a true fight, it wouldn't even take one round."
- Reiterating his fight prediction

"I'm just enjoying it. All these rules, all these restrictions, it doesn't phase me. It amuses me." - On specifications outlined by Mayweather

"Shout-out to my little son, Conor Jr., watching back home. I'm a daddy now. He is the perfect motivation for me, to go and once again conquer the supposed unconquerable. My little boy, to provide for him, and to set him up for life, what more motivation could you need? - Message to his first son, who was born in May

"August 26, this man will be unconscious. He's too small, he's too frail. That's it. What more can I say? He can catch the shot, as well. I don't mind that. If he catches the shot in a glove, his brain will still be rattled." - On Mayweather

"He's got greedy. He could have been 49-0, rode off into the sunset. Trust me, he got greedy here. That was a big mistake. You misadvised him. You should have kept him retired. It's your fault." - To Floyd Mayweather Sr.

Mayweather
"I don't give a !@#%$ if it's a ring, I don't give a !@#%$ if it's an Octagon. Put me in there and I'm gonna kick ass." - To McGregor's comment on a "real fight"

"I'm the IRS, and I'm gonna tax your ass."- Response to McGregor saying his $100 million was for "the tax man"

"He look good for a seven-figure fighter. He look good for an eight-figure fighter. But mother!@#%$er, I'm a nine-figure fighter. And y'all know what? This bitch made $3 million his last fight. But we know that's training camp money for me." - On difference between MMA and Boxing payouts

"We know Mr. Tapout like to quit. And you will wear that white flag. You can choose which way you want to go, and I'm guaranteeing you this: You're going out on your face, or you going out on your back. Now which way you wanna go? - Referring to McGregor's submission loss to Nate Diaz

"God don't make mistakes. And God only made one thing perfect, and that's my boxing record." - On 49-0 career record

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Cfickter

But the best one so far might be McGregors

"How's this suit look? ... If you zoom in on the pinstripe it says '!@#%$ you.'"
- And he wasn't kidding

s 

West88

Whatever he paid for that suit, totally worth it.
"Better to have that and not need it than need it and not have it" Captain Woodrow F. Call

amigodecigars

McGregor said, "When you call me that, smile....cuz I'm gonna knock all yur teeth out"
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

LarryPM

SO, all this being said...Anyone out there looking to wager on this event?  I'm backing Mayweather, giving 3-1 odds.  PM me if you're serious about it.

nirab

Old boxing fan here, but haven't closely followed the sport for years. The heavyweight division became old and corrupt a long time ago, and lost interest since then. I do not care one bit for MMA, just not my cup of tea. In my opinion, besides that not counting for much, and neither does playing the who would win if game...however, that's what I'm gonna do! Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran...all would have knocked Floyd into the canvas in their prime. Floyd in his prime would have given them all a boxing match, but he ain't no fighter, he's a boxer. Smart, angle wise, quick. Conner is a fighter, fast, quick and above all, seems to be real hungry to have Floyd eat his teeth. Considering its boxing, and looking at the recent decision in the Pacquiao fight...I'd bet the fix is in and Floyd wins the match. If they are allowed to fight, and Conner lands a punch early that backs up his confidence, Floyd will go down, and Conner will knock him out. I sure hope Conner humbles him with a big ass punch that causes cartoon stars to dance around Floyd's head. Skill counts for sure, but a fighter who is young and in his prime, versus a boxer with little left in the tank...Conner kills him...unless the fix is indeed in...which is what I would bet on...my faith in boxing decisions being fair died decades ago...

We are going to get the fight at The Cigar Vault, so come on down and watch it with us. You can spend your money on cigars and watch the fight...that's a knockout deal!!  :biggrin:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

danb6177

Quotenirab - 7/14/2017  3:23 PM

Old boxing fan here, but haven't closely followed the sport for years. The heavyweight division became old and corrupt a long time ago, and lost interest since then. I do not care one bit for MMA, just not my cup of tea. In my opinion, besides that not counting for much, and neither does playing the who would win if game...however, that's what I'm gonna do! Sugar Ray Leonard, Tommy Hearns, Marvin Hagler, Roberto Duran...all would have knocked Floyd into the canvas in their prime. Floyd in his prime would have given them all a boxing match, but he ain't no fighter, he's a boxer. Smart, angle wise, quick. Conner is a fighter, fast, quick and above all, seems to be real hungry to have Floyd eat his teeth. Considering its boxing, and looking at the recent decision in the Pacquiao fight...I'd bet the fix is in and Floyd wins the match. If they are allowed to fight, and Conner lands a punch early that backs up his confidence, Floyd will go down, and Conner will knock him out. I sure hope Conner humbles him with a big ass punch that causes cartoon stars to dance around Floyd's head. Skill counts for sure, but a fighter who is young and in his prime, versus a boxer with little left in the tank...Conner kills him...unless the fix is indeed in...which is what I would bet on...my faith in boxing decisions being fair died decades ago...

We are going to get the fight at The Cigar Vault, so come on down and watch it with us. You can spend your money on cigars and watch the fight...that's a knockout deal!!  :biggrin:

Loved hagler. He would have killed Floyd. I agree with you on the fight. I think that's how it will go down.
-----

bstessl

I think Mayweather outboxes McGregor, but if Mac gets lucky and lands a left, its over... That being said, smart money is on Mayweather, but I'm thinking of taking a chance with LarryPM up there... lol
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

mpurtle01

I want Conor to blast Mayweather.  I also wanted Pacquiao to beat him.

That being said, I wouldn't bet money either way.

Brlesq

This isn't even a fair fight.  Big prize purses for both combatants and the pay-per-view insures that it will lead to at last at least one round of dancing, but Mayweather is going to knock him out.  Unless McGregor pulls a dirty move MMA style and gets disqualified.  Either way, its Mayweather.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

bstessl

if he throws some MMA he loses all money...  I don't think he'll do that
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.