Newbie in need of help w/ humi

Started by beanasdad, 01/10/2008 07:49 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

beanasdad

I just recieved my first humi and 5-pack of of 5 Vegas Gold Toros from c-bid.  In my rush to get a humi that would ship w/ the vegas, I bid on one w/out a hygrometer.  However, I currently have a bid on a digital hygrometer (fingers crossed).  My problem is, this is my first experience w/ a humidor, and I have no idea what to do w/ the humidifier element that came w/ it(yes, I'm as new to this as they come, but I believe in jumping in w/ both feet!).  Any and all information would be greatly appreciated.

qman22

Well.....first you need to season the humidor or the cedar will soak up the moisture meant for the cigars.  Take a new sponge and wipe down the cedar lining inside with distilled water until it is just damp, def. don't soak it.  Then place the wet sponge inside on a piece of saran wrap so the wood absorbs the moisture as it evaporates.  let the sponge sit for a few days.

The humidifier element should come with instructions.  If not it most likely needs 50/50 solution, which can be found at any tobacco store.  Also, if you win the digital hygrometer it needs calabrated with a salt test.  It has been a while since I have done that or I would give u directions, but I don't want to say the wrong thing.  A quick google search should yeild instructions.

Hope this helps! and welcome to the site!
Lets GOOOOOOOO Mountaineers!

Sticks

Hi beanasdad, if it's a foam based humidier, I wouldn't use it. Mine became moldy and I was fairly careful. Instead of that, I would get one of the humidifier tubes or pillows, probably the pillow type humidifier and use that so that you don't get too high of a humidity. Start out slow, that way you won't get cigars that become moldy and if you will get a feel for it as you add more cigars to you collection. I think the biggest mistate a person makes is getting the humidity too high. I hope this helps.

NewGuy

Hey beanasdad

Welcome to the site! The salt test calibration technique is published right here on our site. Just go to the home page and look in the right margin for hygrometer calibration. Good luck!

Rack
Rack

"Man is not an island"

beanasdad

thanks for all the help/advice.  I definitely didn't know all that was going to be involved in the initial set-up, but it doesn't sound like it's anything I can't handle.  thanx again.

SenorPablo

Hi bean.  qman summed it up pretty well.  Seasoning the humidor is the first thing you'll need to do.  I would wipe the cedar down once and then again in another 24 hours.  The dry cedar with definitely soak up a lot.  The hudifier you just want to soak enough that water isn't ouring out.  A PG 50/50 solution help maintain it better.  Just make sure you use distilled water - no tap water or spring.

-Paul
Twenty years ago we had Steve Jobs, Johnny Cash and Bob Hope.  Now we have no jobs, no cash and no hope. Please don't let Kevin Bacon die!

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.