Cigar reviews.....is it just me or?

Started by Silverstix, 07/26/2017 11:59 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstix

Is it just me.....or do you wish that (more often) reviews included info about how long the cigar had rested?  I don't just mean on this page, but in general.  I know some guys give that info and it's definitely appreciated by me, especially being someone that is still navigating his way through this jungle! 

For example, perhaps that cigar I smoked at the B&M wasn't too enjoyable, but then I find a review from someone that has rested it for 6 months and it really came into it's own.  It's nice to know that what I experienced at the B&M may not be a true representation of the potential of that cigar.

P.S. - whose reviews do you like to read?  I personally like Phillip "Katman" Kohn, his reviews are always entertaining and honest.

danb6177

It's a good point. Age certainly makes a difference. Alot of guys on here list the age when writing a review. I have found most video reviewers do not.  I think I just assume theirs are well aged.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

StogieDad

I would guess he other way.  Lots of online reviewers are either given the sticks with the assumption they will get them reviewed quickly, or are trying to be the first to review new releases.  

If a stick is particularly aged in my collection, I try and add that to my review when I post.  But I don't think I am consistent with that.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

benchjockey

The amount of rest time is info I always look for but few reviewers include it, especially away from this site.

You learn more by listening then you do from talking.

Cap10_Morgan

Im the same as StogieDad.  Unless someone mentions how long it has been aged, I assume it hasn't.  I would start adding to my reviews, but A) mine don't sit too long before smoking or B)they are from other Geeks and I have no idea how old they are.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

West88

What exactly does aging do, how would you compare two identical cigars one with age and one without. is it more mellow, smoother, etc.. I just have no idea and am curious.
"Better to have that and not need it than need it and not have it" Captain Woodrow F. Call

shakinghorizons

QuoteWest88 - 7/26/2017  2:18 PM

What exactly does aging do, how would you compare two identical cigars one with age and one without. is it more mellow, smoother, etc.. I just have no idea and am curious.

Age mellows out cigars and I think it smooths them out as well. There is a particular cigar (can't be mentioned here) that develops a burnt sugar/caramel taste with age that is out of this world!

Silverstix

QuoteWest88 - 7/26/2017  4:18 PM  What exactly does aging do, how would you compare two identical cigars one with age and one without. is it more mellow, smoother, etc.. I just have no idea and am curious.

Yes, mellow and smoother.  Not talking about 3+ years here, more like 6 months to a 1 year.  Perfect example is the Ramon Bueso Genesis Project.....a $4 maduro with a dark, oily wrapper.  While I haven't smoked any, based on the reviews and research that I've heard about them I would buy them now and let them sit for 6 months or so.  That is my plan.  This seems to be a classic example of a cigar that gets better with some time in the humidor. 

Jackal

Unless noted, all of my reviews are on cigars that have properly rested (4 week minimum).  Unless the cigar is produced by a company that does not age them before shipment, rest time is generally sufficient for a proper experience.

If a company pre ages for 6 months to a year before release, a few extra months in a humidor probably is not going to affect things very much.  Proper rest, however, is a completely different story.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

nirab

QuoteJackal - 7/26/2017  6:18 PM

Unless noted, all of my reviews are on cigars that have properly rested (4 week minimum).  Unless the cigar is produced by a company that does not age them before shipment, rest time is generally sufficient for a proper experience.

If a company pre ages for 6 months to a year before release, a few extra months in a humidor probably is not going to affect things very much.  Proper rest, however, is a completely different story.

this :bigthumbs:

I age some cigars for years, and rest all purchases 30-60 days in the humidor before lighting one up. Be nice to your cigars, and they will be nice to you... :angel:
The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Brlesq

QuoteJackal - 7/26/2017  5:18 PM

Unless noted, all of my reviews are on cigars that have properly rested (4 week minimum).  

Same here.  If I smoke it right away, you will see my note "ROTT" which means "right off the truck".  :biggrin:
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

klamm143

QuoteBrlesq - 7/26/2017  9:55 PM  
QuoteJackal - 7/26/2017  5:18 PM  Unless noted, all of my reviews are on cigars that have properly rested (4 week minimum).  
Same here.  If I smoke it right away, you will see my note "ROTT" which means "right off the truck".  :biggrin:

:lmao: Dang Bruce..........I though you meant it was a ROTTen stick  :lmao:

I also try to rest my sticks unless out at a B&M and purchase (under adult beverage influences) - then I guess I'm also guilty of ROTT puff n' huffs.

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

sar127

Good point! But to expand even further, I'd like to know exactly HOW someone rests it. Everyone has their humidity preferences first of all and moreover, each cigar has it's ideal storage humidity levels too. Albeit there's only a few groups of humidity levels, it matters a lot imo. So I think that should be brought up as well.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

danb6177

Quotesar127 - 7/27/2017  10:38 AM

Good point! But to expand even further, I'd like to know exactly HOW someone rests it. Everyone has their humidity preferences first of all and moreover, each cigar has it's ideal storage humidity levels too. Albeit there's only a few groups of humidity levels, it matters a lot imo. So I think that should be brought up as well.

This is true, and also the region where you are resting them. Some are far more humid than others. Smoking a cigar kept at 70RH in 99% humidity doesn't work well at all no matter how long its rested.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----

sar127

Another interesting point! While I'm new to this concept in practice, I'm having fun experimenting with this as I just moved regions.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

danb6177

Quotesar127 - 7/27/2017  11:01 AM

Another interesting point! While I'm new to this concept in practice, I'm having fun experimenting with this as I just moved regions.

Ive been in florida since I started the hobby so I only know here. But for me I need to keep my cigars around 64 RH to smoke well in the summer. I can raise a little in the winter. When I get my inventory up a little I plan on aging at a higher RH in a separate humidor and keeping my smoking rotation at 64 RH. Im curious if you will have to change your RH. Have you noticed any difference at all from relocating?
-----

Jackal

I have found that larger ring gauges are more forgiving in higher humidities and vice versa.  I tried smoking a lancero outdoors in Manila, and by the time that I was half way through, it was like smoking a wet rag.  Conversely, trying to smoke a 46 ring gauge in the Midwest during the windy season had me getting canoeing and other uneven burn issues.

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteJackal - 7/27/2017  12:36 PM  I have found that larger ring gauges are more forgiving in higher humidities and vice versa.  I tried smoking a lancero outdoors in Manila, and by the time that I was half way through, it was like smoking a wet rag.  Conversely, trying to smoke a 46 ring gauge in the Midwest during the windy season had me getting canoeing and other uneven burn issues.

That might explain a LOT for me (living in Florida)!  I wondered why I have usually leaned towards larger ring gauge like I have.  Makes a lot of sense.

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

danb6177

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 7/27/2017  2:41 PM

QuoteJackal - 7/27/2017  12:36 PM  I have found that larger ring gauges are more forgiving in higher humidities and vice versa.  I tried smoking a lancero outdoors in Manila, and by the time that I was half way through, it was like smoking a wet rag.  Conversely, trying to smoke a 46 ring gauge in the Midwest during the windy season had me getting canoeing and other uneven burn issues.

That might explain a LOT for me (living in Florida)!  I wondered why I have usually leaned towards larger ring gauge like I have.  Makes a lot of sense.

What RH do you keep your humidors at?
-----

Cap10_Morgan

Quotedanb6177 - 7/27/2017  1:08 PM  

Usually around the 65 mark.  

danb6177

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 7/27/2017  3:11 PM

Quotedanb6177 - 7/27/2017  1:08 PM  

Usually around the 65 mark.  

Yeah same and I also have more success with the larger gauges.
-----

Beegerply

Because my smoking habits have changed over the last few years almost all mine are ROTT the longest any of mine rest or age is about 3 months. I don't keep much of an inventory any more. So when I do a review which is few and far between they are mostly ROTT.  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

BrockDB

QuoteWest88 - 7/26/2017  3:18 PM  What exactly does aging do, how would you compare two identical cigars one with age and one without. is it more mellow, smoother, etc.. I just have no idea and am curious.

I have only been smoking cigars for about a year, but over the winter time, I had a drastic reduction in my smoking.  So much of my stock was resting for the better part of 5-6 months.  From a taste standpoint, I can tell you that made a huge difference.  To test that theory, at the beginning of Spring I purchased the same cigar brand/blend/size and let it rest for a couple of weeks and smoked both the newest and the shortly "aged" cigar.  The "aged" cigar felt, smelled, tasted and smoked better.  I know this is common knowledge from more seasoned smokers, but I was proved this makes a difference.  

- Brock

"Some people meditate; I smoke cigars..." - Ron Perlman

SKOL VIKINGS!

Trblmkr

I looked at some of my reviews... for those that actually have some age on them, I'll list the year/days I've had it. For those that are recent 30-60-90 days, I don't really put those dates.  I'll start doing that since it seems to help some people with their decisions to try something.
I am Nobody
Nobody is Perfect
Therefore, I am Perfect

Jackal

The terms aging and resting are getting conflated here.

Resting is the short term (few days to a month or two) storage of cigars to allow them to equilibrate to the humidity of your humidor.

Aging is the longer term storage intended to allow chemical changes to occur in the cigar.  This may take many months to years to happen.

Most premium cigars are aged for a number of months after rolling to allow them to get out of their green/ sick period and be smokable.  Different manufacturers have determined what is an optimal initial aging for their cigars to mature, and store their cigars in aging rooms to achieve this goal.  Additional aging beyond this period is unlikely over just a few weeks or moths.

You will see a huge difference between a cigar that is ROTT and one that is properly rested.  There will most likely be little to no difference between a cigar that is adequately rested and one that has been aged for a few extra months.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.