Mass Storage in Florida

Started by Cap10_Morgan, 07/31/2017 09:52 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cap10_Morgan

Ok, there are a TON of threads about wineadors and coolidors and tupperdors (oh my).  I HATE to add the the mix, but have what STARTS as a simple question.  If I get a coolidor, can I add an ice pace, perhaps in a ziploc bag to avoid moisture to cool down the temperature if needed?  In Florida, there have been plenty of times my humidor has been exposed to 75-80+ degree temps.  I am looking into getting my first bulk storage and am deciding between the 3 above.  One of the things I have seen about wineadors, even with thermo-electric, is the difference in temps causing condensation and being difficult to avoid excess moisture.  I figure with the lack of condensor, this is usually cauased by difference in outside/inside temps.  In Florida, this could be an issue if I ever want to open the thing.  I was originally drawn to a wineador by a post here on the forums where someone had tupperdors stored in a wine cooler.  This seemed perfect to me, but I can't find that pic anymore.  It might be due to photobucket changing and not sharing anymore.  So I was originally thinking of trying to find tupperware that would fit exactly into a fridge like this person had, and getting the fridge once I could afford.  But now I'm wondering... If I just get a cooler and it is insulated, I may not even have to worry.  But if I did, could I not just throw an ice pack inside a ziplock into the cooler if the temp started to rise?
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

bstessl

I know another geek would use a coffee can with ice in it to pull excess moisture out of the wine-a-dor, so I imagine an Ice pack wouldn't hurt as long as it wasn't up against the cigars... But WTF do I know?  Good luck man.
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

klamm143

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=46759.0  Jeff - check out this link and view the thread - I think this is the photo you might be referring to.............GOOD LUCK.

Camshaft 83 post - about 10 slots down. 

Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

klamm143

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=46759.0

Here's the link without all the" edit - mark up" crap..................GRRRRRR...........
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

danb6177

I was considering these things as well Jeff. I think when the time comes for me Im gonna buy a large wine cooler and take the racks out to make room for the sticks.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

shakinghorizons

Jeff,

Go grab yourself a 150-QT Igloo cooler from Sam's on August 5th for $50 and call it good.

I would be concerned about an ice pack in a ziplock, as moisture could still form on the outside of the bag - try it outside the cooler and see what happens! But honestly, depending on the amount of sticks and cedar you have in the cooler, the little bit of additional humidity wouldn't be drastic. Just put the ziplock in a empty cigar box and pull the ziplock and box when the desired temperature is reached. I'm sure the cooler will stay relatively cool after that, as that is what they are made to do.

Cap10_Morgan

Quoteklamm143 - 8/1/2017  2:00 AM  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?topic=46759.0  Here's the link without all the" edit - mark up" crap..................GRRRRRR...........

Yup, that's exactly what I was looking for, thanks!  I've heard even with the thermo-electric wine cooler, there are still a lot of people that have moisture problems.  Seems some people get lucky, some don't.  But I had never thought about just throwing tupperdors inside like that.  I like it.

Quoteshakinghorizons - 8/1/2017  9:30 AM  Jeff,  Go grab yourself a 150-QT Igloo cooler from Sam's on August 5th for $50 and call it good.   I would be concerned about an ice pack in a ziplock, as moisture could still form on the outside of the bag - try it outside the cooler and see what happens! But honestly, depending on the amount of sticks and cedar you have in the cooler, the little bit of additional humidity wouldn't be drastic. Just put the ziplock in a empty cigar box and pull the ziplock and box when the desired temperature is reached. I'm sure the cooler will stay relatively cool after that, as that is what they are made to do.

This is what I was thinking also.  I could put one in long enough to cool it down, then take it out and keep the cooler closed and it should stay ok with the thick insulation.  In fact, I am wondering if with a cooler, if I even have to worry about it in the first place.  I just know I've seen my humidors get around 80 in the past and definitely don't want to take the chance with an even larger amount of sticks. 

Thanks for the input, fellas!

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

junglepete

Because of the large change of temp and humidity here in Florida, I have found that a large coolidor, like fishing boat cooler, keeps your desired range most consistently when the cooler is full. Granted, being in a 247 air conditioned condo helps stability perfectly. My condo sits at 65% RH almost year round and I can leave cigars in the open if I wish to. Lucky me I guess.  :dancing:
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cap10_Morgan

Nice.  I live in an apartment that faces south and has crappy A/C.  During the peak months/time of day, it struggles to keep up sometimes.  That, and when the darn thing breaks or power goes out.  Come to think of it, I just need to move!  Might not have the same problem once we do, which should be soon actually.  I think I will start with a coolidor and see how it goes.  Worst case scenario, I have a bigger cooler for parties.  Thanks again, everyone.

Olddog

I got myself a Whynter coolidor a while back and do not have any condensation issues and it holds the temp well.  I use a small cigar oasis excel in it as well.  I do have to go further and say that mine is located inside the house so opening it doesn't have the same effect as if it were in a garage or space not controlled by A/C or such.  It wasn't all that much, around $300 and has been great for me.  Have about 200 sticks in it that are in for the long haul.
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

Cap10_Morgan

I bet that's why some people have moisture problems and some don't.  Some probably have the cooler in a hot place and the difference in temps is causing more condensation, etc.

DonM

I am in FL as well and my humidor is parked right under an AC vent so it stays @ 74 to 75 degrees constantly. I keep my RH @ 65 % and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I use Heartfelt 65% beads.  YMMV but it works for me

"The Curmudgeon"

danb6177

QuoteDonM - 8/1/2017  8:47 PM

I am in FL as well and my humidor is parked right under an AC vent so it stays @ 74 to 75 degrees constantly. I keep my RH @ 65 % and have had absolutely no problems whatsoever. I use Heartfelt 65% beads.  YMMV but it works for me

I do the same, I keep it on top of my bookshelf directly under the ac vent. Keep house around 72 and humidor stays the same.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Cap10_Morgan

Definitely going to go with a coolidor.  Probably the Coleman 150 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014FIWZA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I9JJLJZOF2Z84&colid=EUTCVM5CYU1R
Question... could I just line those plastic "shelves" with spanish cedar veneer and cut slits for ventilation?  The veneer has some of the same benefits, correct?  Just thinking if it comes with the plastic already, it might be easier and cheaper to get up and running.  Either that or just get a bunch of those trays eventually and put them on top of the same plastic trays cut for ventilation, but would be farther down the road.

Cap10_Morgan

Nevermind.  Found this one for less.  https://www.walmart.com/ip/Coleman-Xtreme-150-qt-Cooler-Green/21947771
Still has the slots to make it easier to add shelves.  Think I'll just use some trays and place them on wire racks or something that fits.  Thanks again for the feedback everyone!

DonM

QuoteCap10_Morgan - 8/7/2017  6:09 PM

Definitely going to go with a coolidor.  Probably the Coleman 150 https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0014FIWZA/_encoding=UTF8?coliid=I9JJLJZOF2Z84&colid=EUTCVM5CYU1R
Question... could I just line those plastic "shelves" with spanish cedar veneer and cut slits for ventilation?  The veneer has some of the same benefits, correct?  Just thinking if it comes with the plastic already, it might be easier and cheaper to get up and running.  Either that or just get a bunch of those trays eventually and put them on top of the same plastic trays cut for ventilation, but would be farther down the road.

Using some Spanish cedar from old cigar boxes certainly wouldn't hurt in going with a coolidor.  You may even be able to find some Spanish cedar trays cheap for singles if you shop around.

Who am I to throw suggestions on a coolidor anyway :confused: I bought an Indulgence 500 count humidor from Tampa Humidor years ago, outfitted it with Heartfelt beads and it has never ever let me down. It is currently stuffed full and waiting for Brown to show up with a box :lmao:

"The Curmudgeon"

Cap10_Morgan

Yeah that's the plan.  Just going to use boxes for now, then get some wire shelves and some trays for singles eventually.  The cooler and heartfelt beads are on their way.

junglepete

I lined my large coolidor with a large piece of spanish cedar veneer...never needed any moisture added or removed...again, the cooler works best when at least 2/3rds full .
Guru of Frugality

"It is your decisions, not your conditions that shape your life."  ~Tony Robbins~

Cap10_Morgan

Yeah, it won't be 2/3 full for a very long time! I've read about using large bubble wrap to take up the excess room and things like that.  Might try to just buy a lot of empty boxes and fill as much empty space as I can also.  I will just use some trial and error and see what happens.

Camshaft83

I think the pic you are referencing is of my winedor. I love having the tupperdors inside. If condensation is what you are afraid of I would think that going that route would be perfect because they wont let the water in and the Bovedas inside should regulate humidity well. At least they do in mine. And your not humidifying the inside of the cooler just the containers in it.
Tact is the ability to tell someone to go to hell in such a way that they look forward to the trip." Winston Churchill

CG Members, B&M, and Lounge Map
https://www.google.com/maps/d/edit?mid=zW2lHNBne7i4.kZ0NflvIrjLo&usp=sharing

Cap10_Morgan

QuoteCamshaft83 - 8/8/2017  9:48 PM  I think the pic you are referencing is of my winedor. I love having the tupperdors inside. If condensation is what you are afraid of I would think that going that route would be perfect because they wont let the water in and the Bovedas inside should regulate humidity well. At least they do in mine. And your not humidifying the inside of the cooler just the containers in it.

Yup, yours was the one!  I love it.  Love the temp control, love the simplicity, and even love the wine, lol.  I will probably end up with something like this in the future.  I'll start out with the cooler for now and keep an eye out on craigslist.

cigar-guy

I had this problem and I do not believe the wine chiller is a good vehicle for cigar storage.  In about 2005 I bought a wine chiller that was custom made that included a condenser and accounted for the thermal swing that the normal chillers can not account for.  Even with this custom unit, there were times it was a challenge to stabilize the humidity.   I had it for about 10 years until it quit.  I don't think the guy makes them anymore.  However, I have seen units designed for cigar storage at BJ's warehouse for about $300.  I don't keep that many cigars nowadays but even back then I spent at least $500 for that custom unit.  Good luck

The Burn Ward

No need to put ice packs with cigars. Keep humidors out of direct sunlight and heat sources. Inspect regularly and quarantine new cigars in a smaller humidor.

AustinMike

I also use a wine fridge.  I have a temp controller on it, which I only use in the summer.  When I leave home to be on the road, I set my thermostat to 78.  Too warm for my cigars.  I use heartfelt 65% beads and a cigar oasis to circulate air.  I bought a Spanish cedar shelf and a couple of drawers from a place I can't remember now.  The front of the drawers are stained and look nice.  I've owned a Bob Staebell cabinet that I sold a few years ago.  I'm happy with my current setup.  Keeps me from buying too much....most of the time.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.