Info about this mystery cigar?

Started by Silverstix, 08/07/2017 10:43 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstix

So I was given this cigar by my boss and I've been trying to find more info about it online but there doesn't seem to be much out there.  He said this cigar has been in his humidor for a while, but he can't remember how long....he used to be a smoker but not anymore, so he gave it to me.

Here's what I know so far:

- Label says "Gilberto Oliva, Calidad Superior".  Face of the label is white with gold trim and letters, sides of the band are pink.

- I found that Gilberto Oliva was the original Oliva name when they created the brand in 1995, and has now become today's Oliva

- It's a Churchill and I was told that it's a mild smoke

What I want to find out:  

- What year could this possibly be from? Wikipedia says they changed the name from "Gilberto Oliva" to "Oliva" in 1996. Is it really possible this cigar is 20 years old?

- Any info about the blend?  Looks like a Connecticut wrapper, but I read that back then they used Dominican and Nicaraguan fillers...

What say you fellow geeks?

Gilberto Oliva Calidad Superior 

Silverstix

Quotebstessl - 8/7/2017  11:51 AM  http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=cigars;area=showcig;cigar_id=38718&t=Gilberto_Oliva_Churchill_Natural http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=cigars;area=showcig;cigar_id=157557&t=Oliva/_Studio_Tabac_Gilberto_Oliva_Reserva_Blanc_750  Im guessing its the first link

Yep, that's the one.  Thanks for that!  Now I'm trying to figure out when these were produced....."old" is a relevant term, I know this is not a recent production that's for sure

CarlosoftHUN

If you ever decide to smoke it, I am eager to read your review about that!! :-D
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

Jackal

8 minutes to get an answer.  Not bad.

Someone needs to post a real stumper and see how long it takes to identify.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

Silverstix

QuoteJackal - 8/7/2017  12:32 PM  8 minutes to get an answer.  Not bad.  Someone needs to post a real stumper and see how long it takes to identify.

Not bad at all, and much appreciated!!  What's really bugging me is trying to narrow down an age on this thing.....I know "Gilberto Oliva" was the old brand name for Oliva, and I found online that they changed the name in 1996.   A bit more info about this one would interest me (and I guess I'm just skeptical that this is a 21 year old cigar!)

Silverstix

QuoteCarlosoftHUN - 8/7/2017  12:23 PM  If you ever decide to smoke it, I am eager to read your review about that!! :-D

I will definitely smoke it, and I will definitely review it!  It's been sitting in my humi for 4 months, gonna give it a couple more months and fire her up  :smoker2:

tfkirk

Silver if you could load that picture in our virtual humidor files it would be a great add to the GEEK collection.
Kirk

RIP BIG KIRK, LOVE YOU AND MISS YOU, SEE YOU ON THE OTHER SIDE

Silverstix

Quotetfkirk - 8/8/2017  7:02 PM  Silver if you could load that picture in our virtual humidor files it would be a great add to the GEEK collection.

10-4, will take a pic tonight using the template  :bigthumbs:  

Silverstix

So I reached out to Oliva to find out when this cigar was in production.  The regional sales rep got back to me and he has no idea when this is from, he's taking it up the ladder to his boss.....it sounds like he's as curious as I am!  He's been with Oliva for 10 years and he said it is either from before his time, or it was a special/private release for someone.  Will post an update for those of you that have any interest.  If you're not interested, I just wasted 2 minutes of your time  :biggrin:

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.