Humidor inventory

Started by Olddog, 08/12/2017 08:17 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Olddog

I am curious to get some others thoughts on how they keep their inventory.  I am starting to get cigars that I have already and so now I have for example some from April some from July.  I am maintaining the virtual humidor on here, but realizing that I now have sticks with various dates of receipt.  How do you all keep them inventoried so that you know what date you received them?  Do you bag them and mark them or is this something that I should worry about?
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

Brlesq

Buy some small white yard sale stickers, write the date on them and stick them to the cellophane
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

headfirst

I use the return labels you get and cut small date labels from them.
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

toby2

i'm way too lazy. the most technical i get is if the box or tray is in the very back of the cabinet or at the bottom of a cooler those cigars are older than the ones in front or on the top, maybe...

ninfiction

I don't know how I do it, but I'm able to keep track simply by their placement in my tower.

I've been going to pick up some small stickers but always forget. That's really the best idea I've seen....I've also seen permanent marker used on cello.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

shakinghorizons

I only keep track of my cc's

DonM

I have up on inventory. Sometimes I find some treasures I forgot about

"The Curmudgeon"

MusicCity

I log when I take possession of something - if it has another date on it (CC for instance) I'll log that in the comments box. I'm actually pretty good about deciphering what's what even with multiples bought at different times.

toby2

Quoteshakinghorizons - 8/12/2017  3:58 PM  I only keep track of my cc's

yup, box codes... i'm glad some folks are starting to put them on the bands!

Deener27

QuoteBrlesq - 8/12/2017  8:23 AM

Buy some small white yard sale stickers, write the date on them and stick them to the cellophane

2nd this.  I always check things in, catalog and date.  Once in a while, it is a good idea to do a quick inventory check as well.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Olddog

Thank you all good ideas and gives me ideas to keep mine inventoried better than i have been
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

calvarez

I use these labels and run them through my color printer:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007M5GN/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1

They have the source, month/year, and a short note if applicable.  The month/year is highlighted with a different yearly color so I can quickly glance for "I want something really old."

I keep track of tasting notes and ratings in Tap Forms, which syncs automatically between my phone, tablet, desktop, and laptop.  So wherever I am, I can get/change info.  And it's much easier to enter the stuff on my laptop while having a smoke than trying to enter stuff on a tiny screen.

Database:  http://i.imgur.com/kd9PRjm.jpg
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Olddog

Quotecalvarez - 9/11/2017  9:29 PM  I use these labels and run them through my color printer:  https://smile.amazon.com/gp/product/B00007M5GN/ref=oh_aui_search_detailpage?ie=UTF8&psc=1  They have the source, month/year, and a short note if applicable.  The month/year is highlighted with a different yearly color so I can quickly glance for "I want something really old."  I keep track of tasting notes and ratings in Tap Forms, which syncs automatically between my phone, tablet, desktop, and laptop.  So wherever I am, I can get/change info.  And it's much easier to enter the stuff on my laptop while having a smoke than trying to enter stuff on a tiny screen.  Database:  http://i.imgur.com/kd9PRjm.jpg

Sort of did the same, picked up some bands at https://www.onlinelabels.com/cigars/cigar-labels.htm and use these to keep track.  Like the color coding you mentioned as I am hand printing the date on them now (faster than trying to get them printed on the labels themselves).  Always for better visualization.

nirab

The Punk Rock Guru of Meditation and Lending a Hand

DON'T believe EVERYTING you THINK...
it's COOL to Be a GEEK!

''Any time you have an opportunity to make a difference in this world and you don't, then you are wasting your time on Earth.''-Roberto Clemente

"When I do good, I feel good. When I do bad, I feel bad. That is my religion." - Abraham Lincoln

"It is possible to live happily in the here and now. So many conditions of happiness are available - more than enough for you to be happy right now." -

Thich Nhat Hanh

"There is a principle which is a bar against all information, which is proof against all arguments, and which cannot fail to keep a man in everlasting ignorance - that principle is contempt prior to investigation."

The Cigar Vault
512-361-3289
in Beeuudaful Buda, Texas!

Shukpaw

I sharpie on some of them (the tail of the cello).  The virtual humidor is great for keeping track of dates.  If I have ones that I got on different dates I try to separate them so that I can differentiate between them.  I have Diesels with 6 years humidor time on them and some with only a couple years.  I want to know the difference.  My Father Limiteds look very similar from year to year and I want to know which is which.  If I bought the box, I will usually leave them in their box until I am down to 5 or 10 before I take them out.  I keep my larger quantity ones in my tower humidor or in their own private 30 or 100 count humidor.  I am blessed to have a lot of humidors.  As many of you know I collect the humidors as much as the cigars.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

frankj1

we should all be thankful to be enjoying First World problems!

05Venturer

Quotefrankj1 - 10/14/2017  6:00 PM

we should all be thankful to be enjoying First World problems!

Amen to that
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.