Longfillers - is it really?

Started by CarlosoftHUN, 08/15/2017 07:54 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

CarlosoftHUN

Maybe some of you know already - if you read any of my reviews - after the smoke, when the last 3rd remains, I like to dissect the cigar to see what is beneath the wrapper, in terms of the binder, how well it is constructed, and last but not least, what the filler is made... Is it really longfiller, or just medium, or shortfiller?

My today's smoke was the Oliva G Cigarillo ( the 4x38 one) and I was reading the fellow reviews which was surely mentioned longfiller. I doubt it because I think nobody would use longfiller for a such tiny size, but ok.. And when I was examined the filler, it was indeed a shortfiller.
This was the second or third time when I was reading in reviews or descriptions that something is longfiller, and it turns out that it isn't.

And here comes my question, or questions:

- Did you ever experienced the same that you were expecting a longfiller and it turned out that it was not true?

- How reliable the information we can read not only on our website, but on the shops we are buying from?
Cigars - What else?

"The light ones may be killers, the dark ones mild; not the wrappers but the fillers, make cigars or women wild." -Keith Preston

amigodecigars

Was it a "Cuban Sandwich cigar?"  Short fillers, layered with either medium or long fillers. It's a way to use up premium, scrap tobaccos left over from making longfillers. Sandwich cigars can be very good, if high-end scrap happens to be used with a decent wrapper. I don't have a problem with them as long as they are advertised "as such", and they are usually more reasonably priced, however they tend to burn faster and hotter than premium longfillers.  I have opened some longfillers before even lighting and found them to be all short filler, not even sandwiches.  In this country you can find a glass top box of 24 Cohiba Esplendidos in front of a popular tourist hotel for $60!!
"There are plenty of good five-cent cigars in the country. The trouble is they cost a quarter. What this country needs is a good five-cent nickel."  Franklin Pierce Adams

DonM

I do not think the cigarillo  would be a good choice to compare the rest of the Oliva's with. The Series V along with the Melanio are very good cigars. The O Maduro is a good middle of the road cigar.  I would suggest trying some more and I think you will find long filler. Not all Cuban sandwich cigars are created equal, try the Papas Fritas

"The Curmudgeon"

Cfickter

If you cut open a cigarillo you should expect nothing but short filler.  But would you cut open a Behike, or an Opus X Lost City?  I understand the curiosity but why waste 1/3 of a good cigar
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

cigar-guy

Not the first time I have heard this.  Sad state of affairs if you can not believe the cigar makers.  Let's hope it is not too widespread

sar127

Cigarillos are all short filler and are generally machine made, it's no secret. Pappas Fritas, Davidoff minis, j Fuego originals, and Latelier cracker crumbs are all excellent short filler smokes in my opinion.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.