Help from our Canadian Geeks

Started by Kman, 09/05/2017 02:09 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Kman

It looks like I will be travelling to Calgary once a month for the next 4-10 months and was just wondering about any issues there with cigar smoking.

Is it a hassle to bring cigars with me from the US to smoke? Should I just leave them at home and buy there? Other options?

Are there places to smoke, ie cigar lounges, or do you have to find your spots where you can get them?

Any other concerns I haven't considered?

Any recommendations on cigar shops in Calgary for anyone that is local or has been there would be a help as well. 

Thanks in advance for any thoughts or feedback. 

"Anyone who has never made a mistake has never tried anything new." - Albert Einstein

headfirst

I'd reach out to biggsy16...
When I have found intense pain relieved, a weary brain soothed, and calm, refreshing sleep obtained by a cigar, I have felt grateful to God, and have blessed His name...
-Charles Spurgeon

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=headfirst

pferg

Id bring cigars with you, the cost is 4 or 5 times as much as online retailers for the most part but you can buy Cuban cigars in Canada. As for smoking in Canada I don't think there's anywhere left that allows it inside, Calgary may have a lounge not sure never have been there but Edmonton when I lived there was basically no smoking anywhere. Even cigar shops that I know of don't have a smoking lounge, it made it very difficult to smoke during winter there.
Hope this helps a bit.

biggsy16

Bring them with you for sure, tax in Canada is crazy.No cigar lounges I know of . Send me a pm about your travel plans and I will have you over.
Never done being a Dad

freakydeakydutchman

Bring some with you. At min $20 a cigar its a must. I haven't been to Cow Town ina while but a quick search brought this up
https://www.yelp.ca/biz/epicure-cigar-and-pipe-calgary?osq=Cigar+Lounge
"when a guy does something stupid once, well that's because he's a guy. But if he does the same stupid thing twice, that's usually to impress some girl."
Dr. Suess

http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=freakydeakydutchman

Shukpaw

As already stated the cigars are expensive in Canada.  I try to go up every year or so.  I always bring my own with me.  I try not to take too many as I have had US border patrol try to charge me as if I purchased them in Canada on my way back to the US.  Also, I would not take any ISOMs either way, if I knew anything about that; which I'm not saying I do.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Vanilla Gorilla

As mentioned, our taxes on cigars here is high (56.6%) so you're looking at spending a pretty penny for even an OK cigar. You'll find lots of cigar shops there, which is always a plus, but there are no lounges that I know of in any province other than Quebec. I'd love to be wrong about that one, so if I am and you find one please let me know. We're heading to Alberta next spring and Calgary is on our sights as my wife has family there. 
Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

Cfickter

Safe travels Kerry, we will be holding Justin Bieber as hostage in case of the need for a prisoner swap
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.