Smoking Meat

Started by Cap10_Morgan, 09/05/2017 02:46 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Cap10_Morgan

I know there are quite a few of you always sharing pics smoking cigars while smoking some meat.  I was looking for some advice for a newb, but guess what?  Searching these forums for smoking, smoker, and even meat ("new meat" in intros) isn't helping much, lol.  I just moved out of an apartment and into a house and my first purchase was a smoker.  Tried it this weekend and it was wonderful, but I know some of you take things to the next level.  I would love to get some recipes or tips from all you experts. 

Here is the smoker I bought.  Picked it up on sale for $100 and couldn't resist.  Wasn't sure about going electric, but man was it nice not having to worry about temperature at all.

http://www.homedepot.com/p/Masterbuilt-Pro-30-in-Black-Electric-Digital-Smoker-20071317/300018987

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

Vroomp

I just did a 13 lb pork butt the other day. I brined it overnight, then put my rub on and smoked for 4-5 hours with Apple & Hickory chips, then wrapped it in plastic wrap and foil and put it in the oven for 19 hours at 175°F. Unwrapped at 5:00 and turned oven to 350°F to crispen that baby up on the outside and it was fantastic~! I have found smoking for much more than 4-5 hours is a waste of effort......Meats can become dry or develop a tarry exterior...... I put my baby back ribs in a pressure cooker for 35 minutes then they only need 15 minutes on the grill and everyone thinks I smoked them all day~! This works well when cooking ribs for 20 or more folks.
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Cap10_Morgan

"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

StogieDad

Sweet!!  I had a Masterbuilt for a long time, always turned out good meat.  I upgraded to a Primo ceramic smoker last year, which I like because I can grill or smoke on.

During the fall I smoke almost every weekend, usually an excuse to smoke cigars and have a beer throughout the day.

One thing I have really gotten into is reverse searing steaks.  You would need a seperate grill or pan to be hot, but you smoke a ribeye or filet for a bit then finish on a rocket hot grill to crisp up the outside.  Gives you that nice medium rare throughout the whole steak instead of done on the edge and rare in the middle.  

I don't always pull my pork butts for the oven but I have and Brad is right, there is not much gained after that first few hours mostly.  I will keep basting and keep her on unless I need to leave for a while, but never had any complaints either way.

Google sweet tea brine, put some whole smoker chickens in, and let those babies go.  People always want those when I'm firing mine up.

I always like to maximize my smoking time, so if running a pork butt, I may put some chicken on or something for the next meal or week ahead.  Love smoking salmon and picking on that all week.  Even throw something complementary in.  I really like smoking apples when I do pork chops, throw some nuts on a foil pan, or even smoke salt to use on steaks later.

Just some thoughts that crossed my mind.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Cap10_Morgan

Wow, thanks for the ideas!  Never heard of the nuts or salt, but will definitely have to check those out also.

Silverstix

Tried smoking some bluefish once but it was really tough to keep lit  :blech:

McBryde

I use a personal tweaked variation of this rub:
https://www.foodwine.com/food/egg/egg0697/wildrub.html

and this Sop to keep it moist while cooking:
https://www.foodwine.com/food/egg/egg0697/beermop.html

I usually inject previous to cooking 24 hours, and substitute the beer with and for apple juice in the sop when cooking pork. It makes it more tender.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.