Hurricane Irma

Started by Silverstix, 09/06/2017 08:18 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstix

With Hurricane Irma barreling down on the Dominican Republic and Cuba, it made me wonder what type of impact a major hurricane could have on the cigar industry......in terms of decimating crops, damaging barns and structures, etc.

Pretty scary stuff going on down there......hope it isn't as bad for those people as it sounds.....

BrockDB

I was thinking the same thing yesterday.  But I would think over the decades of storms coming through those areas, they would have contingency plans for the cigars?  As for the crops, I don't know if there is anything they can do...  I think there will be an impact though.
- Brock

"Some people meditate; I smoke cigars..." - Ron Perlman

SKOL VIKINGS!

Deener27

The good news is (at least for the tobacco crop) that the seed is not in the ground yet for the 2018 plants.  They plant as early as now and as late as December.  Early to mid May 2017, all of the plantings were in late harvest or already in cure.  They plant and harvest at those times of year because the weather is absolute perfect and have high sun.

As for the crop out of the ground, they are in barns or in factories for sure.  Even if there was a major storm, hopefully there will be enough supply to keep the good cigars coming without a ton of price hikes.  Also, I am hopeful that the impact on the people and infrastructure is minimal.  These folks have had centuries of experience with this sort of thing so even if it comes through as a Cat 5, the people know how to deal with it.  Best wishes and safety to everyone down there.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

Mautrak

I just went online to place an order with Cigar Place and their website notes they are taking orders online, but their customer service and shipping departments are closed tomorrow through Monday.  And from Monday on, they just don't know!

cigar-guy

I remember back in 2005 when there were 4 hurricanes that Cuba got rocked pretty badly.  I had heard that Cuba was buying some tobacco from Plasencia Nicaragua.  I'd be more worried about the FDA then any problems from the storms

Jackal

Hopefully,  it won't do the kind of damage that was seen in 2008 or 1998 that wiped out the Fuente storage or devastated the Jamaican cigar industries repectively.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

calvarez

Kind of glad I am way over-stocked.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

Olddog

The way things look now, Florida is gonna get clobbered and a lot of stock is probably going to be wiped out there as well.  Looks like some tough times ahead for a lot of businesses.  But this has happened before and hopefully they are prepared for it as best as can be.
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

calvarez

I have family there, some who are into cigars.  At least one shop has packed most of their inventory into a truck and is driving North.

-- Me

toby2

wow just left the store. there isn't much bottled water left and i'm pretty far inland.

Vroomp

Saw Aquafina for $38.88 a 24 pack on Amazon this morning..... :biggrin:
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

toby2

QuoteVroomp - 9/7/2017  3:16 PM  Saw Aquafina for $38.88 a 24 pack on Amazon this morning..... :biggrin:

just looked. there is one for $54 as well. crazy. 

calvarez

The Nestle guy just dropped off ten cases (special sale).

No matter what you pay on Amazon, how are they going to deliver tomorrow...?

-- Me

Shukpaw

I pray all the cigar rollers are safe.  It's hard enough for most of the people in that region without all the devastation.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

gitfiddl

Hey guys and gals!

This hurricane is one bad bitch of a storm.  I've lived in NE Florida for most of my 52 years on this big blue ball and this one has me scared.  I haven't heard any reports yet from the Dominican Republic as the storm passes by just north of that island as I type this.  It looks like Irma is gonna skirt the northern coast of Cuba before she hangs a hard right into Miami as a CAT4 or 5.  I'm not sure how much of South Florida south and east of Lake Okeechobee will be recognizable.  I may be wrong, but if I'm not mistaken, a lot of the major players in the cigar industry still call Miami home, have vast amounts of inventory stored there, and still operate factories in the area.  

NE Florida is still days' away from any sort of impact, and they've already issued mandatory evacuation orders for St Johns County (St Augustine) just south of me.  The gas station I use is out of gas.  The latest track has Irma diminishing in strength to a CAT2 by the time it reaches us in Jacksonville sometime around noon on Monday.  That we can deal with, Good Lord willing, at the Casa D' Dave, but things can still change.

Say your prayers for all of us down here.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

jagfandaddy

I'll wave as I fly by your house!
"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

Jackal

Now there is a possible Tsunami from the 8.2 earthquake that hit off of Mexico.   Eucador, Honduras and Nicaragua are in the probable path.  This is serious Wrath of God kind of stuff hitting the tobacco countries.

I'll do what I will and I'll drink what I please
I'll smoke what I like 'till I cough and I wheeze
I'll drink and I'll whore and every pleasure realize
For this time tomorrow I may die

bstessl

QuoteJackal - 9/8/2017  1:40 AM

This is serious Wrath of God kind of stuff hitting the tobacco countries.

I'm still gonna smoke my cigars...
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

klamm143

All the more reasons to stock up whenever possible.........as if enabling was something new...!!!!   Stay safe everyone. - No such thing as too many cigars in the Humi's.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

calvarez

Quoteklamm143 - 9/8/2017  2:01 AM
No such thing as too many cigars in the Humi's.

Sure, but when are there too many humidors for the house?  I'm on my second "overflow" mega-Tupperware, and two 2.5 gallon freezer bags now, besides my main humidor that probably holds 300.

"BUT THEY WERE ON SALE"

Seriously I picked up some very good sticks on a crazy deal for $1.10 each.  I think there was a site pricing error.

-- Me

Olddog

Saw this little article on Cigar Aficionado about some of the hurricane's impact so far.  Sounds encouraging so far..... http://www.cigaraficionado.com/webfeatures/show/id/hurricane-irma-moves-through-cigar-country-19558
"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

johncw

Quotetoby2 - 9/7/2017  5:30 PM

QuoteVroomp - 9/7/2017  3:16 PM  Saw Aquafina for $38.88 a 24 pack on Amazon this morning..... :biggrin:

just looked. there is one for $54 as well. crazy. 

that is just asinine.

danb6177

Looks like I'm getting this one right in the face
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Vroomp

Quotedanb6177 - 9/9/2017  7:08 AM  Looks like I'm getting this one right in the face

Stay safe brother~! It's coming your way~!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

DonM

Quotedanb6177 - 9/9/2017  10:08 AM

Looks like I'm getting this one right in the face

Stay safe!  Looks like it is going to be a rough one for sure. I evacuated inland to Inverness. High but not dry here. Will keep you all posted

"The Curmudgeon"

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.