Dusting off the old account/getting back into cigars!

Started by Vanilla Gorilla, 09/12/2017 06:07 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla Gorilla

Hey everyone! 
So it's been about 5 years or so since I've actively posted on here. Life got a little crazy, got married, had kids, SOLD MY ENTIRE CIGAR COLLECTION, you know little things....it still hurts saying that too. Before all of that I was a fairly active member, participating in passes, writing reviews, posting regularly and forever posting reviews and logging my sticks etc.

i am happy to say that over the past few months my passion for cigars has returned. I'll likely never be where I was before, but it's still nice knowing that I've got a new humidor coming in the mail and that I'm going to be picking up new sticks to fill it with.

I am looking forward to catching  up with old friends, making new ones, and having a place to get recommendations and advice from.  

Cheers, 

Greg 
Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

appollo

Welcome back Greg from one Canuck to another.I live in Nova Scotia ,glad to have you aound. :-)

sar127

Welcome back! I grew up outside Montreal, then moved to Texas, and now live in NJ. Hope to visit Montreal again sometime soon, maybe we can meet up at Unibroue if you'd be interested! Check out one of the Google Herfs before it gets too cold.
Sir Rob

"I never smoke to excess - that is, I smoke in moderation, only one cigar at a time." - Mark Twain

toby2

Olddog

"Honest men, with pipes or cigars in their mouths, have great physical advantages in conversation. You may stop talking if you like, but the breaks of silence never seem disagreeable, being filled up by the puffing of smoke." - William Makepeace Thackeray

Shukpaw

Greg, how have you been, brother?  Awesome to see a post from you.  Seems like a few of the "old" guys are back on the site.  The "new" guys seem pretty cool.

Kids surely change priorities and time allotment in life,  I think all for the better.  Tell us about the wife and kids.

Selling ALL of your cigars.  Now that I just don't understand.  You got to at least hide a couple under the bed for the occasional free moment.  I had to transition to smaller and milder for a little while.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

klamm143

Welcome back......also from a FNG in North Carolina.
Not sure how it was when you were here before - but it is now - A MAJOR ENABLING BROTHERHOOD - won't take you long to get back into high gear.
Kevin R. Lamm

It is what it is - and these things too shall pass. It may pass like a kidney stone - but IT WILL PASS.

Shukpaw

This site could be renamed Cigar Enablers.  It's like going to an AA meeting and discussing all the new and best craft beers; oh and by the way here are the best places to buy them; and oh by the way they are on sale today with free shipping.

Lopro75 and I have similar pallets.  He would get on the site and talk about how great a cigar is.  And even though I have enough cigars, and even though I really didn't have the money for more cigars, I'd think: I need to try one of those cigars.

I love this site.  I try to avoid the hot deals posts.

Brlesq

QuoteVanilla Gorilla - 9/12/2017  7:07 PM

I'll likely never be where I was before, but it's still nice knowing that I've got a new humidor coming in the mail and that I'm going to be picking up new sticks to fill it with.

:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  Boy, you have been gone a loooong time,  You forgot what enablers we are here!  :biggrin:

Good to see you again, Greg!

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Otter

R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

ntanner

I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Gustoff

"There is no hunting like the hunting of man, and those who have hunted armed men long enough and liked it, never care for anything else thereafter."
 ~Ernest Hemingway

05Venturer

Welcome Back to the Largest Enabling Site on the Web  :lmao:

Glad to see more old members returning
Hey from NW Sconnie  

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Beegerply

Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

DonM

Welcome back!  I hope you bought a cabinet, let the enabling begin

"The Curmudgeon"

shakinghorizons

johncw

pferg

Welcome Back. Just remember 1 humidor isnt going to be enough. I was away from this site for 3 or 4 years and my collection got smaller but now that Im back Im just waiting for the hurricane damage to be done and will be putting in an order less than a month since coming back  :biggrin:

MacMac

Joe aka MacMac to 9 Grandkids

Vanilla Gorilla

QuoteShukpaw - 9/12/2017  8:53 PM  Greg, how have you been, brother?  Awesome to see a post from you.  Seems like a few of the "old" guys are back on the site.  The "new" guys seem pretty cool.  Kids surely change priorities and time allotment in life,  I think all for the better.  Tell us about the wife and kids.  Selling ALL of your cigars.  Now that I just don't understand.  You got to at least hide a couple under the bed for the occasional free moment.  I had to transition to smaller and milder for a little while.

Shukpaw! Long time no see! Hope all is well!

The cigar selling came after my daughter ate one of my cigars and got violently ill. Wasn't a good scene and I felt instant guilt and responsibility. Clearly there were all kinds of other options I could have considered, but her being my first and her getting sick because of my mistake took its toll quickly and I unloaded my stash. Haven't had a humidor at all since 2014. Anxious to get back into the hobby of collecting and looking forward to having to hid my credit card statements from my wife again LOL 

Vanilla Gorilla

QuoteBrlesq - 9/12/2017  9:16 PM  
QuoteVanilla Gorilla - 9/12/2017  7:07 PM  I'll likely never be where I was before, but it's still nice knowing that I've got a new humidor coming in the mail and that I'm going to be picking up new sticks to fill it with.
:lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  :lmao:  Boy, you have been gone a loooong time,  You forgot what enablers we are here!  :biggrin:   Good to see you again, Greg!  

Brlesq! I remember how much you guys got me to open my wallet before! Looking forward to being able to open it up again and spend on all kinds of new goodies!  

Vanilla Gorilla

Thanks for the warm welcome back everyone! Lots of familiar faces on here! Really happy to see those names popping up in here. It's like I never left.  

Best thing that's happened since I was last here is we've since moved to Quebec, where there is an actual cigar lounge about 10 mins from my house. Which will be nice come winter time since I no longer have a garage and smoking inside is out of the question. New cigar shops have opened up around the area over the past year as well. One of them is actually really nice and i'll add it to the directory if it hasn't been yet. Great selection and even carries some brands that the other shops around here don't carry. Canadian

prices are still astronomical, which is unfortunate for me, but at least i can order larger quantities online and it's not the end of the world to drop the money on a single stick every once and awhile as a treat.

Now i just have to constantly remind myself to ease back into things and start slow........ppffffft....like that'll happen. 

Shukpaw

Are you still doing Movember?

About easing back into it; I had my first 6 60 in a couple years, a couple days ago.  I knocked it out in an hour 45.  No problem.  I get up from my chair and I'm like wait a minute.  I'm driving over to pick my kid up from school and I think I'm going to get sick.  I took a day off and I'm having a nice normal sized torpedo today.  Take it easy.  That nicotine will sneak up on you from behind and it knows Crav Maga.

McBryde

Good to see you back Greg! Kids are fun, but a hand full at times!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

BewareDaPenguin

Welcome back! I haven't been on much lately either but then I remember how great everybody is and I can't stay away :smoker:
"A champion is someone who gets up when he can't." - Jack Dempsey

"Things do not happen. Things are made to happen." - JFK

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.