Is this mold or are my eyes screwing with me?

Started by btango, 09/19/2017 07:06 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

btango

Hey everyone,

I was wondering if I can get your thoughts. It's been a bit of a long day and I figured that I'd cap off the night with a Monte Petite No 2. I grabbed me a box when I was in Cuba this April and figured that I'd store it in the humi (build the collection while slowly burning it down hehehe). However, lately I've been getting weird temp spikes and am trying to keep the temps down and my Rh around 70%. I noticed something at the foot of one of my mini 2s. First thought was mold and I had a subconscious freak out but then I'm doubting myself upon looking up the Google about frog eyes. I was wondering if you guys can perhaps take a look and share your thoughts whether it is mold or my eyes are turning frog eyed.

Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!

shakinghorizons

btango

ninfiction

Looks like it could just be discoloration in the wrapper due to the fermentation process. Hard to tell but it doesn't look like it's "on" the wrapper but is the wrapper is that makes sense.

I could be wrong though.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Brlesq

From the picture, if you are talking about the green blemish, that just looks like a water spot on the leaf.  No fuzzy growth.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

btango

Phew, Thank you ninfiction and Brlesq!!! I really appreciate the feedback.

Cheers!

Brlesq

This is not that too unusual on a stick or two in a box.  Should smoke just fine and you will never know the difference.
Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

Smokin surfer

Yup I have seen a moldy Monte and the raised white fungus (in my case) was impossible to mistake for anything else. Water spot or loose chaff stuck to the leaf during the curing process is what I'd guess. I had to remove packaging and dust the mold off of mine and they still were not horrible to smoke!

wescat

Quotebtango - 9/19/2017  10:06 PM
Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated!

Thanks!
Nothing at all wrong with that stick. Read and be tranquil:   https://cigarfan.net/2008/04/05/cigar-wrapper-issues-mold-bloom-and-spots/
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

jagfandaddy

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle."
 George Burns

wescat

Quotejagfandaddy - 9/19/2017  11:59 PM

Great read. Thanks for sharing! :word:
:bigthumbs:
The second law chases us all.
In most realms, tranquility comes from ownership.
Order ensues when everyone totes their own water.  
Stand firm, and never let the bastards grind you down.  
Life's arc is primarily charted between ones ears.
Good judgment comes from experience, and a lot of that comes from bad judgment.
Heaven is where the police are British, the lovers French, the mechanics German, the chefs Italian, and it is all organized by the Swiss.
Hell is where the police are German, the lovers Swiss, the mechanics French, the chefs British, and it is all organized by the Italians.
Be Sunny ¦ Stay Frosty.

Vanilla Gorilla

Glad this story had a happy ending! My old collection had a few sticks with mold on them after my hydrometer that i had been using went wonky and was reading almost 20% lower than it should have been reading. I freaked and over humidified my cigars for months. Sucked when I finally noticed. Mold is quite obvious when you see it on a stick (in my experience) and wipes off which grossed me out. Hope you enjoy that Monte! 
Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.