Life Can Really Be Cruel Sometimes......

Started by Silverstix, 09/20/2017 01:32 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Silverstix

Before I start, I'll say it's all relative.  I still have my health, nobody died, it could always be worse.....

Having said that......man, WHAT A KICK IN THE NUTS!!!  Listen to this crap I'm dealing with now:

My wife and I have 2 young kids, we are in a 2 bedroom apartment trying to save every penny we can for a house in 2-3 years (big shout out to the ridiculously overpriced Long Island housing market  :barfonyou: )

We have 2 used cars, both 10+ years old.  My wife uses the Nissan Murano because it fits the kids.  I use the beater to get to/from work.  I've been driving a 2007 Chevy Malibu with 121,000 miles.  We have 3 more payments left on the loan.  I take good care of it, oil change every 3,000 miles and good maintenance.  Well.....Friday morning on the way to work someone rear ends me.  Long story short, the car is declared a TOTAL LOSS due to the low value of the car  :angry:  :angry:  :angry:

THIS REALLY SUCKS.  I'm beyond frustrated.  Here I am driving to work, minding my own business.......and because someone else hits me I'm now stuck with no car, and going to have to take on a car payment that I was looking forward to getting rid of in 3 months.  Yes, nobody was hurt, thank god for that.  But man, sometimes you just have to laugh at the way life goes....

Thanks for listening lol 

shakinghorizons

Sorry to hear Tom!!! I am going through the same thing (no car payment for 2.5 years) and am quite pissed.

Cap10_Morgan

That sucks.  Hopefully you'll get a string of good luck to make up for it soon!
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

toby2

man that sucks!

happened to me this year as well. one of my work body vans got hit by an uninsured and "undocumented"  motorist and now i have a new $50,000 loan! woo hoo! the price of these  things has gone up $24,000 in ten years....the worst part was the work body was only a few years old and can be swapped to a new cutaway.

tvolball

"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Mautrak

That type of thing happens to me, and my wife calls me Eeyore from Winnie the Pooh.

ninfiction

Thankfully everyone is ok...still sucks ass though.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Silverstix

Just another friggin curveball right?  Sorry to hear some of you having the same issues......it really always is something, right?  Tough to get ahead

Silverstix

What do you guys drive?  Looking on some feedback if any of you have the following:

Honda Accord (2010 with 56k)
Nissan Sentra (2011 with 54k)
Hyundai Sonata (2011 with 31k)

Shukpaw

Sorry to hear about your car.  That sucks.

I have had a couple Hyundai's.  Neither made it past 130,000, but with what I paid for them they were good values; and drove okay.  Hope you find something good.
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

Beegerply

You won't believe this but just today some guy side swiped my wife and took off. Good thing she got the license plate number.  :mad:  Some days life just sucks
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Shukpaw

QuoteBeegerply - 9/21/2017  3:02 PM

You won't believe this but just today some guy side swiped my wife and took off. Good thing she got the license plate number.  :mad:  Some days life just sucks

What is going on with all these Geeks getting hit lately?
I'm right 98% of the time.  Who cares about the other 3%?

mike.casey

QuoteSilverstix - 9/21/2017  5:35 PM

What do you guys drive?  Looking on some feedback if any of you have the following:

Honda Accord (2010 with 56k)
Nissan Sentra (2011 with 54k)
Hyundai Sonata (2011 with 31k)

The Nissan or Honda should each go 200K+ miles. Hyundai's are essentially disposable.

Of course, that's just one man's opinion.

Good luck!
Life is hard. It's harder when you're stupid. -John Wayne-

I've got a great cigar collection - it's actually not a collection, because that would imply I wasn't going to smoke every last one of 'em.
Ron White

Him and his kind get more endangered everyday, and pretty soon the species will just up and fade away. Like the smoke from that torpedo... just up and fade away. -Old Hippie, Bellamy Brothers-

johncw

Beegerply

QuoteShukpaw - 9/21/2017  7:06 PM

QuoteBeegerply - 9/21/2017  3:02 PM

What is going on with all these Geeks getting hit lately?

Not smoking enough cigars maybe.  :lmao:  :lmao:  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

Silverstix

QuoteBeegerply - 9/21/2017  5:02 PM  You won't believe this but just today some guy side swiped my wife and took off. Good thing she got the license plate number.  :mad:  Some days life just sucks

Sorry to hear that bro, it never ends.  The more people I meet, the more I like my dog 

Silverstix

Quotemike.casey - 9/21/2017  8:40 PM  
QuoteSilverstix - 9/21/2017  5:35 PM  What do you guys drive?  Looking on some feedback if any of you have the following:  Honda Accord (2010 with 56k) Nissan Sentra (2011 with 54k) Hyundai Sonata (2011 with 31k)
The Nissan or Honda should each go 200K+ miles. Hyundai's are essentially disposable.   Of course, that's just one man's opinion.   Good luck!

Appreciate the input.  I know people talk about Hyundai being good, but idk man I'm not sold.  Honda and Nissan have a proven track record.

To further complicate this decision....I found a 2016 VW Jetta with 45k on it for the same money, being sold by one of the car rental companies.  Going to check it out this weekend  

shakinghorizons

QuoteSilverstix - 9/22/2017  7:23 AM

Quotemike.casey - 9/21/2017  8:40 PM  
QuoteSilverstix - 9/21/2017  5:35 PM  What do you guys drive?  Looking on some feedback if any of you have the following:  Honda Accord (2010 with 56k) Nissan Sentra (2011 with 54k) Hyundai Sonata (2011 with 31k)
The Nissan or Honda should each go 200K+ miles. Hyundai's are essentially disposable.   Of course, that's just one man's opinion.   Good luck!

Appreciate the input.  I know people talk about Hyundai being good, but idk man I'm not sold.  Honda and Nissan have a proven track record.

To further complicate this decision....I found a 2016 VW Jetta with 45k on it for the same money, being sold by one of the car rental companies.  Going to check it out this weekend  

I would personally stay far away from rental car purchases. I know how I drive rentals and have seen how they "care" for rentals upon return.

M82

Bummer - sorry to hear about your luck. That is a shame you were so close to being payment free.  
 As far as the cars, do some research on top rated used cars.
The Honda is head and shoulders above the rest of the cars you mentioned.  I would steer clear of the Volkswagen for sure.

Silverstix

yeah, going to stay way from the VW.  I had an Audi A4 and that thing was costly to maintain with service and repairs.  

The Honda is gone, must have been a little slow to remove it from their website.  Oh well....

Hertz has a couple of other compacts for sale that I'm going to check out - a Nissan Versa and a Ford Fiesta.  Going to drive them and see what they are all about.  Admittedly was leery about purchasing a rental, but it does come with a 12 month/12,000 mile warranty which is better than any other used car I'd be buying.  Keeping all my options on the table, we'll see where my search takes me

DonM

Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was making me poor in repairs. Bought an older Ford Ranger and runs like a top. No oil leaks and has 204K on it. Gets me to work etc. By the way, my wife is driving a Ford too :bigthumbs:

"The Curmudgeon"

Silverstix

QuoteDonM - 9/22/2017  3:15 PM  Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was making me poor in repairs. Bought an older Ford Ranger and runs like a top. No oil leaks and has 204K on it. Gets me to work etc. By the way, my wife is driving a Ford too :bigthumbs:  

That Ford Fiesta has some real good reviews across the board.  Some nice options too, hoping it drives well. 

pferg

Sorry for your luck but glad everyone is ok.
Go for the Honda in my opinion, they always seem to last forever

toby2

QuoteDonM - 9/22/2017  3:15 PM  Had a Jeep Grand Cherokee that was making me poor in repairs. Bought an older Ford Ranger and runs like a top. No oil leaks and has 204K on it. Gets me to work etc. By the way, my wife is driving a Ford too :bigthumbs:  

i have a fleet of Fords. i just replaced two but they ran great. another service company bought them and i bet they run them for many more years. 200k and depreciated so time for new ones. they just hold up better. my son has a Ranger going on 400K. burns some oil of course. but they cost more. Kia and Hyundai are disposable but do fill a niche in the market and are nice cars while they last. 

Vroomp

I feel your pain~! 

Spent four hours today doing plumbing repairs at home including a new expansion tank, PRV on the water heater, and ice maker valve for the fridge downstairs that failed last night and left a sizeable puddle in the garage.......  Fun times~! :sad:

Just glad the ice maker valve failed last night since I was prepared to repair the other items this morning even though I had to make an extra trip to HD for more parts. I would have hated to do more repairs tomorrow~!

Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.