Restoring cigars

Started by Vanilla Gorilla, 10/01/2017 02:53 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

Vanilla Gorilla

I've been away long enough to know that I've for sure forgotten how to restore dry cigars. A friend of mine mentioned that he had some Cohiba Siglo II that he had that I was welcome to a few of if I wanted. I have yet to see the state of these cigars, but it certainly piqued my interest (obviously!). If they're in rough shape, but the wrappers are still intact I am hoping i can restore them. So far this seems to be a solid list of restoration options, but which ones have worked best for people in the past? Or are the best methods missing from this article (from neptune cigars)

Maybe you forgot a cigar box inside your closet. Or you neglected your humidor. In any case, your cigars are hard and as dry as your mother-in-law’s meatloaf. Do not worry, they can be restored! All you need to do is remember one essential rule: Restoring dry cigars is a slow process. Let’s take a look at several methods to restore dry cigars. 

1) The Quarter Turn Method 

Slowly expose the open cigar box to humidity in a cellar or other damp location rotating the cigars for about a week (longer if the cigars are extremely dry). Then place the cigars in a humidor at 70% humidity and every 2-3 days give them a quarter turn rotation until all cigars have been fully rotated at least twice. This method is recommended by Theo Rudman in his book “Complete Pocket Guide to Cigars”. 

2) The Ziplock Bag Method

Make little holes on a large ziplock bag and insert the open box of cigars. Close the bag and insert it into a larger ziplock bag. Insert a slightly damp sponge in the second bag and seal. As with the previous method, rotate the cigars from top to bottom and side to side every couple of days to ensure even humidification. 

3) The Damp Towel Method

Wrap the closed cigar box with a damp towel for 2 weeks. 

4) The Plastic Container Method

You will need a reliable hygrometer. Place the hygrometer and the cigars in an airtight, transparent container so that you can read the relative humidity (RH) without opening the container. After a few hours, read the RH. Use a humidifier device and put a little water (+/- a teaspoon) on the sponge and place it in the container. Keep it closed. After a while, RH should go up a little. Repeat every 24 hours until RH is 70%. Once you get this level, maintain it by adding water as needed during 2 or 3 weeks. Never go under 65%, and don't panic if the RH goes up to 75%, but avoid going over this maximum. During this process, keep the container in a cool place away from light and heat. 

5) The Dry Humidor Method

Let the cigars rest for a week in a humidor that hasn’t been charged recently. Then, partially fill the humidifier and let the cigars rest for a week. You can now fully charge the humidifier. 

6) The Hot Shower Method

Place the open cigar box inside the bathroom while you take a hot shower (close the box if the cigars are too dry). When you are finished, close the box to trap the moisture inside. Rotate the cigars every 2-3 days. After two weeks of doing this, you can place the cigars inside a properly maintained humidor. 

These methods all have in common time and slow humidification of the cigars. Choose the one that is more convenient to you. It is always a good idea to take the cigars out of their cellophane wrappers or tubes before restoring them. Once restored, wait a few weeks before smoking until the humidity stabilizes. You may not be able to restore the cigars to their original quality but they can certainly be enjoyable smokes if you take the time to bring them back to life. 
Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

ninfiction

Personally I would use Boveda in a small tupperdor, you wouldn't need big ones and you can start at about 60%. I would not use a damp sponge or rag, no way to control how humid they are and it the cigars are super dry they will just explode if you try to introduce that much humidity.

Just my thoughts, I don't have experience with bringing cigars back from the dead....no way I would take a hot shower with the cigars in the bathroom, that's just stupid to me.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

ntanner

I am with Brian on this one. A good tupperdor and Boveda pack's. Maybe starting with a 60% and working up is a good idea but they release moisture so gradually that I dont think using a 67% would have an adverse effect. Just keep an eye on them and trade out the packs as they begin to dry out. They can be recharged and put back in the rotation and once you get it to level off and not dry the pack's out so quickly you know you are probably good to go. Just my .02
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

Cfickter

I am with Brian also
Quite frankly I would put much behind any of these methods. In some like the shower method or where they say use a sponge you gave no control over the humidity.  What good is wrapping a damp towel around the humidor when they are designed to seal?  Couldn't you also ruin the finish of the humidor.  
Also depending on the dryness of the cigars it could take months to get them back up.
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

toby2

i just stick them in general population and let them get back to normal in time. i can see paying extra attention to special cigars though

Silverstix

I have an Oliva Churchill from the 1990's - was given to me by my boss after sitting neglected in his humidor for over a decade.  I've had it sitting in my humidor for 6 months now....still looks and feels good, I'm going to smoke it soon and I'll review it.  It was a mild cigar to begin with so I think it will be ok

Vanilla Gorilla

Thanks everyone! Anxious to get these bad boys into the humidor.....and to buy another humidor so I can have my every day sticks outside of a humi I'm wanting to open less often.....I guess the itch is back and my wallet is open to the hobby again lol
Forever seaching for the perfect cigar, one puff at a time.

Silverstix

QuoteVanilla Gorilla - 10/5/2017  10:07 AM  Thanks everyone! Anxious to get these bad boys into the humidor.....and to buy another humidor so I can have my every day sticks outside of a humi I'm wanting to open less often.....I guess the itch is back and my wallet is open to the hobby again lol

Might I suggest using a Tupperware for storage that you don't want to open as often.  It will hold humidity indefinitely, and it's a lot cheaper than buying a humidor....meaning more $ to spend on cigars.   I am putting together my 2nd tupperdor now and it cost me a total of $25 for the container, 2 boveda packs, and a little digital hygrometer. I currently have a 25ct humi for my "ready to smoke" and now 2 tuppers for overflow and resting.  Tons of info on this site and on the internet about putting one together, it's pretty simple.

Deener27

I would agree with the tupperdore method.  Start with the 60 and gradually increase every few weeks but would take it very slow as too quick an increase can cause serious problems.

Most of these other methods seem too risky.  Introducing the possibility of mold or splitting is a very serious concern with many of these.

"Sometimes you eat the bear, and sometimes the bear, well, he eats you." The Stranger

"Judge Smails: You know, you should play with Dr. Beeper and myself. I mean, he's been club champion for three years running and I'm no slouch myself.

"You may run like Mays, but you hit like !@#$." ~Lou Brown in Major League

"Looks like you have El Hosel, the laterals—you know, the S-word" ~ Romeo in Tin Cup

shakinghorizons

Quotetoby2 - 10/2/2017  5:56 AM

i just stick them in general population and let them get back to normal in time. i can see paying extra attention to special cigars though

This - or pitch them and purchase what you know has been stored correctly.

cigar-guy

Boveda in a small tupperdor and patience.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.