Pipe storage

Started by danb6177, 10/04/2017 01:05 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

danb6177

For the pipe smokers here, was curious as to how you store your pipes? The reason I ask is that Im storing mine in a spare room right now and when I open the door I can smell the ash. I do clean my pipes with a pipe cleaner after every smoke but the smell is pretty noticeable...and before to long before Mrs danb6177 is gonna open that door. So I need a solution. I see people store pipes in drawers and that would be cool but not sure how that works. How long after I smoke can I put em in there? Any suggestions really to make the smell not be there. I do have to dry em out right? Right now after I clean them I run a fresh cleaner through and let em dry out that way for like a day.. Thanx for any help
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

Cap10_Morgan

I put mine in a cigar box for the very same reason.  Not sure what the best way to handle it is, especially with briar/meerschaum pipes because I know they are more sensitive to moisture.  But all I have is a corncob and they absorb moisture pretty quickly.
"A good cigar is like a beautiful chick with a great body who also knows the American League box scores." -Klinger, M*A*S*H

danb6177

Yeah im not even sure if im supposed to lay them up after I clean them with a pipe cleaner in them. I would think it would absorb moisture better. I love starting a hobby, everything is new lol
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----

toby2

i have an Irish pipe rack. but mostly in a pile next to where i am sitting. i have few double pipe ash trays that i keep the current pipe in. i rotate trough several a day. i clean them with Bacardi 151 a few times a year then make hunch punch with the rest of the bottle. the pipe cleaner thing is the best way but i never do it anymore. lazy a$$....

edit: looks like i haven't cleaned them in a bit though. Steph said they don't sell it anymore. 

danb6177

Quotetoby2 - 10/4/2017  5:17 PM

i have an Irish pipe rack. but mostly in a pile next to where i am sitting. i have few double pipe ash trays that i keep the current pipe in. i rotate trough several a day. i clean them with Bacardi 151 a few times a year then make hunch punch with the rest of the bottle. the pipe cleaner thing is the best way but i never do it anymore. lazy a$$....

edit: looks like i haven't cleaned them in a bit though. Steph said they don't sell it anymore. 

Nice., So you just leave em out on racks in the open? Does the room smell like ash?
-----

toby2

Quotedanb6177 - 10/4/2017  5:39 PM  
Quotetoby2 - 10/4/2017  5:17 PM  

Nice., So you just leave em out on racks in the open? Does the room smell like ash?

i don’t smell it but everyone else may. it may be like cigars. the cheap ones stink. or it may be i just don’t smell it. 

gitfiddl

Sounds like a cleaning issue to me.  I've got 6 or 8 pipes on my desk and have no problem.  Have you tried brushing the bowls' interiors with a pipecleaner dipped in "Briar-fresh" or a liquor like vodka after a few bowls?

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

danb6177

Quotegitfiddl - 10/5/2017  12:05 PM

Sounds like a cleaning issue to me.  I've got 6 or 8 pipes on my desk and have no problem.  Have you tried brushing the bowls' interiors with a pipecleaner dipped in "Briar-fresh" or a liquor like vodka after a few bowls?

No I havent tried that yet, didnt think Id smoked enough bowls in any of the pipes to get em that dirty. Do you do that after every bowl? Seems easy enough. I will try it and see if that fixes the issue. Id love to keep my pipes in my office out in the open on a rack. Just dont want the room to reek. Thanx for tip!
-----

gitfiddl

Quotedanb6177 - 10/5/2017  12:33 PM

No I havent tried that yet, didnt think Id smoked enough bowls in any of the pipes to get em that dirty. Do you do that after every bowl? Seems easy enough. I will try it and see if that fixes the issue. Id love to keep my pipes in my office out in the open on a rack. Just dont want the room to reek. Thanx for tip!

I'd give them all a good cleaning, and then do it maybe every third or fourth bowl.  
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

danb6177

Quotegitfiddl - 10/6/2017  7:54 AM

Quotedanb6177 - 10/5/2017  12:33 PM

I'd give them all a good cleaning, and then do it maybe every third or fourth bowl.  

Gotcha. Thanx for advice.
-----

gitfiddl

Think about it like this:  You wash your ashtrays when they get stinky, don't you?  While you want a cake to build up in a pipe, there's nothing wrong with getting rid of the stinky part.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.