Random Box Humidor

Started by pferg, 10/15/2017 10:13 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

pferg

Question is can you turn any box into a humidor? Tupperware and coolers aside. Can you take a random pine or oak box and make it into a humidor without adding Spanish cedar lining if you have Spanish cedar boxes and trays inside?

I looked at Spanish cedar prices and there $20/lineal foot here and i got a cool looking box id like to do something with but dont want to spend the same as a new humidor would cost to convert it.

ntanner

No, you can't use just any box.. The material the box is made of needs to be able to stand up in a very humid environment. The wrong material and the box will swell up and basically tear it's self apart, not to mention the wrong materials could impart off flavors to you're cigars. Wood besides spanish cedar can be used but I am not a wood worker so one of the other fellas can fill you in on what types will work. Build the box with that and then just line the interior with a spanish cedar veneer. Of course it should have a decent but not airtight seal as well. Probably just easier to buy a humi and cigar combo at one of the many vendors then figure out all the necessities to build one unless of course you are into wood working and carpentry. And what ever you are thinking you need for storage space, triple or quadruple that if you plan on spending much time around here. :biggrin:
I am not concerned about what you think as I can tell you don't do it often.

I used to be a people person, but then people ruined that for me.

Every loaf of bread is a tragic story of a group of grains that could have become beer but didn't.

ninfiction

1) The box would need to have a really good seal.
2) It might be difficult to regulate humidity depending on the wood, someone else may have a better idea about this.
3) Some is just as aromatic as Spanish Cedar, this could affect your cigars.

You could use Spanish Cedar from cigar boxes, not all cigar boxes are solid Spanish Cedar but most at least have cedar inserts. you could break them down and use them to line the box.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

Vroomp

As previously stated the box needs to be of a wood that can remain stable in high humidity conditions, although it can be protected from the inside humidity with a thin veneer of Spanish Cedar over a sanding sealer, if you are careful to cover every square inch on the interior and seal corners with an odorless low VOC sealer. Certain woods will draw the humidity out of your humidor like Pine or Poplar or any "soft woods" so it's better to use a box made from some kind of "hardwood". I have boxes of Cherry and Maple and have seen humidors of Oak, Bubinga, Zebra Wood, Mahogany, & Ebony, and they do just fine. If you need Spanish cedar veneers let me know as I usually have plenty kicking around. (we use them as a lining in our cans we ship in.) Most important is the seal on the lid which needs to be very good, but there are ways to achieve this with other products like weather seals or rubber/silicon gaskets~!
Guru of Not Following the Rules

Cigar smoking knows no politics. It's about the pursuit of pleasure, taste, and aroma. -Anon

When you are dead, you don't know that you are dead. It is difficult only for the others.
It is the same when you are stupid....

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.