Not a bourban fan but......

Started by tvolball, 10/27/2017 08:12 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

tvolball

I went to a friend's the other day and he got me to try Old Forester Statesman 95 proof. Damn it was excellent. Anybody else had this and what is your thoughts on it. I'm buying a bottle of this.
"Keep your friends close and your enemies closer"

Beegerply

I'm also not much of a bourbon fan, but a friend got me a bottle for Christmas last year I really enjoyed it  :biggrin:
Byron

Guru of small balls and big sticks
--------------------------------------------------

"If there are no cigars in heaven I shall not go" Mark Twain

BMMPuro-1022

You may consider a Rye. they are touted as the new Single Malt Scotch.
Willett Family Reserve 3yr old 112+ proof. mellows well with Spring Water
ice cubes. Bulleit is a very good spirit 95% rye content. 90 proof
many more available and becoming very popular..

Enjoy

ricoishere

Im a bourbon fan. I like the statesman. I have a bottle, goes well with mild-full cigars.
I got way too many cigars, too much booze, not many friends. Life is GRAND.
-Rico

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

My humidor
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=ricoishere

PETE314

As far as rye's go...I am a Templeton fan...Not much else to say about that...lol  
I thought I was wrong once....but I was mistaken....

What good is it to wear your lucky rocketship underpants if nobody wants to see them????

Dave S.

Has anyone tried Booker's?

It's pricey for bourbon, but it's great.
"There are not enough Indians in the world to defeat the Seventh Cavalry."

George Armstrong Custer

AustinMike

QuoteDave S. - 11/2/2017  1:49 PM

Booker's is good, but it's very hot.  I like something a bit more mellow.  Something that is a great balance between heat and flavor is the WildTurkey 101.  I picked up a couple of bottles of Eagle Rare about two weeks ago.  Those are for when I want a nicer bourbon.

ricoishere

QuoteAustinMike - 11/2/2017  5:55 PM

Booker's is good, but it's very hot.  I like something a bit more mellow.  Something that is a great balance between heat and flavor is the WildTurkey 101.  I picked up a couple of bottles of Eagle Rare about two weeks ago.  Those are for when I want a nicer bourbon.

Bookers is high proof, same as David Nicholson, Stagg Jr.,  Elijah Craig, and several other high-proof Bourbons. If you are not used to spicy Bourbons try picking up some of the wheated bourbons, or Four Roses.  Same as cigars, it's what you like.
-Rico

"Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good woman - or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle." -George Burns

My humidor
http://www.cigargeeks.com/index.php?action=humidors;area=public;member=ricoishere

ricoishere

Quotericoishere - 11/2/2017  6:44 PM

QuoteAustinMike - 11/2/2017  5:55 PM

Bookers is high proof, same as David Nicholson, Stagg Jr.,  Elijah Craig, and several other high-proof Bourbons. If you are not used to spicy Bourbons try picking up some of the wheated bourbons, or Four Roses.  Same as cigars, it's what you like.

This year I've been enjoying bourbon more than ever. I still love Scotch, rum, gin, and beer too for that matter. However, I've managed to get most of the "Once a Year" releases with the exception of 2017 Pappy releases, and Stagg. The year is not over though. In the "what your smoking today" forum I mentioned the Cuaba cigars, while at the Meat Locker (Angus Barn). We had Parker's Heritage 2011. It's 126 proof, and smooth. Hard to believe, but it is. I just had to leave the bottle open for about 30 minutes.  
My army buddies tell me I better play the lottery because in the last 3 months I've grabbed 3 Bottles of Parker's Heritage, Pappy Van Winkle (2016), Elijah Craig 1789 Small Batch Barrel 124 Proof (2017) Whiskey Advocate No. 1 for 2017,  Four Roses Elliott's Select Barrel Strength 2016 Limited Edition Single Barrel, High West - Midwinter Nights Dram, Knob Creek 2001 Limited Edition 14 Year Old, Old Forester Birthday Bottle, and Sazerac. The good part is where I live the prices are rock bottom (ran by Government). As I open these, I'll be matching with different cigars in my humidor. I'll post in "Cigars and Alcohol Pairings" if there is such a thread.

-Rico

My humidor

CoreyMacLeod

No Signature Necessary.

DRuff

Drinking a Buffalo Trace Private Single Barrel bottled for the Party Source in Newport, KY. It is tremendous.

chief791

If you guys want to try an excellent Bourbon at a reasonable price, try Henry McKennas 10 year old. 100 proof and single barrel. You can find it for about $30. Made by Heaven Hill. Great bang for the buck. I love it.
"Well now I'm no hero, That's understood
All the redemption I can offer, girl, Is beneath this dirty hood"
From Thunder Road by Bruce Springsteen

"Give me a diablo sandwich, a Dr. Pepper, and make it quick, I'm in a god-damn hurry."

Buford T. Justice

Cfickter

You have to drink gin to be in! :biggrin:
Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

05Venturer

Quotechief791 - 1/9/2018  10:04 AM

If you guys want to try an excellent Bourbon at a reasonable price, try Henry McKennas 10 year old. 100 proof and single barrel. You can find it for about $30. Made by Heaven Hill. Great bang for the buck. I love it.
Been looking locally for awhile but have been unsuccessful
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

Chadboskie

Blantons for bourbon, Pikesville rye or Angels Envy rye for rye. Cant stand Scotch. I got a bottle of Bookers for Christmas that im looking forward to trying. But there isn't many bourbons that I cant drink. In fact I cant name one off the top of my head. The original Makers Mark wasn't really good but I can drink it. Makers 46..... oh yea

hershell17

I haven't had a bourbon for 2 months now.
Procrastinating my installation of a new truck bumper. Too hot to stay in the garage.

Cigary

Just another Rabbit Hole...bourbons and scotch and whiskey...and then there's Drambuie which I have been drinking since 1976.

StogieDad

Second to the Wild Turkey 101.  Not as "boutique" as some, but I love it.
"I drink a great deal. I sleep a little, and I smoke cigar after cigar. That is why I am in two-hundred-percent form."
-- Winston Churchill

"It has been my experience that folks who have no vices, have very few virtues."
-- Abraham Lincoln

"I call this turf 'n' turf. It's a 16 oz T-bone and a 24 oz porterhouse. Also, whiskey and a cigar. I am going to consume all of this at the same time because I am a free American."
-- Ron Swanson

Brlesq

Quotehershell17 - 7/10/2018  3:00 AM

I haven't had a bourbon for 2 months now.

And this thread hasn't been read for about 7 months until now . . .

Bruce
Chief Enabler 
Guru of Decorum & Sarcasm

Hey! How come Habana is written on here with a Sharpie ?!?

A day without whiskey is like . . . just kidding, I have no idea!

ricoishere

I recommend Very Old Barton Aged 6 Years Kentucky Straight Bourbon Whiskey. Even bourbon snobs give it OK points, and it's $20.00 for 1.75....
-Rico

My humidor

Chefjohn

Old Willets Pot Reserve is also very good.
Artificial intelligence is no match for natural stupidity.

calvarez

Wild Turkey 101 was responsible for me not drinking whisk(e)y of any kind between the age of 17 and 40-something.  Now at 53 I'm making up for lost time.
Carlos Alvarez, Peoria, AZ

"I've learned that the taboo subjects -- religion, politics,
philosophy -- can be safely discussed in polite company
when you're holding a fine cigar and a scotch."
  -- Me

DRuff

Murphy223

Nice will have to give it a try -

Kid Montana

QuoteBMMPuro-1022 - 10/31/2017  4:26 PM

You may consider a Rye. they are touted as the new Single Malt Scotch.
Willett Family Reserve 3yr old 112+ proof. mellows well with Spring Water
ice cubes. Bulleit is a very good spirit 95% rye content. 90 proof
many more available and becoming very popular..

Enjoy

Dang amigo, first post after 1 year signed up?  LOL.  Welcome.  Old Forester makes great stuff.

[edit: after looking at the comment dates, this is like the slowest burn bourbon discussion of all time. ]

I'd rather have a cigar...

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.