From the M*A*S*H episode"Fade Out, Fade In:" COL. POTTER: Cigar? RADAR: Will it stunt my growth? COL. POTTER: Whattya got to loose? RADAR: Is it Habit forming? COL. POTTER: Nah, I've smoked 5 cigars a day and never got the habit! RADAR: That's good to know! (After lighting cigars, Radar makes a puzzled look) COL POTTER: Nothin' like a good cigar on a clear morning! RADAR: Or Cream of Wheat. Later, Radar was found over the hill, sick from his first cigar...

Main Menu

Smells: the good, the bad and the ugly :)

Started by sigmoid, 11/22/2017 05:05 AM

Previous topic - Next topic

sigmoid

I've recently rediscovered tobacco as the awesome nootropic and recreational drug in one that it is, and cigars as the ideal form to avoid losing the benfits of this great plant to habituation and addiction. My grandfather used to smoke cigars. I love the smell of a cigar, the taste of the smoke, and for the first time in my life, I have the urge to smoke indoors, in comfort, while listening to music or reading a book...

With that comes the issue of room smells. Good cigars smell real nice when I'm smoking them. The issue comes in a few hours, when the room starts to smell stale, like a sleazy bar. I'd like to ask seasoned cigar smokers if there is any way to handle this problem. (Getting rid of all the ashes and the stub immediately after smoking might be a good idea, but it's not a 100% solution...)

I really don't mind the *nice* tobacco smell. I don't want to stink my apartment up with floral aerosols that make everything smell like a gas station bathroom. I tend to use incense regularly, so some kind of smoke smell is well within expectations and tolerance. I just wonder about the chemistry and the practicalities of how the nice, leathery, cedary cigar smoke turns into that bitter, stale, vomity bar smell overnight, and how (and if) I can get one without the other.

Of course, as a last resort, there's smoking outdoors. It would be a pity, a Romeo y Julieta no.2 or an Oliva V isn't something I'd smoke casually while out walking the dog or running errands. I guess going out for a meditative walk in the woods and smoking there might be nice...

ninfiction

I don't smoke indoors but a few guys on the forums do. I believe they all have ventilation set up in their smoking rooms.

I have read on other sites that some people have success with Rabbit Air purifiers. Also some limited success with scented candles, fabreeze, stuff like that. I think the main issue is fabrics. If you have cloth furniture that smell is going to stick unless you have a decent air exchange/ventilation.
This is not the admin you're looking for...

DonM

I normally do not smoke in the house but the wife was away and I fired up a Liga Privada #9 in the house in her absence. I have 2 Rabbit Airs in the house, 1 in the Living room and 1 in the master bedroom. As soon as I lit that fine cigar both of them kicked on high. A few days later, the wife was home and never knew.

"The Curmudgeon"

05Venturer

QuoteDonM - 11/22/2017  9:54 AM

I normally do not smoke in the house but the wife was away and I fired up a Liga Privada #9 in the house in her absence. I have 2 Rabbit Airs in the house, 1 in the Living room and 1 in the master bedroom. As soon as I lit that fine cigar both of them kicked on high. A few days later, the wife was home and never knew.

Was it too cold in Florida to smoke outside  :confused:  :lmao:
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

gitfiddl

Quote05Venturer - 11/22/2017  11:32 AM

QuoteDonM - 11/22/2017  9:54 AM

Was it too cold in Florida to smoke outside  :confused:  :lmao:

No, smartass.  It was raining!

Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

c9belayer

I smoke in my hobby workshop (garage), and some day I'll turn a back bedroom into my Cigar Lounge. Like others mention, there are 2 considerations: Ventilation and odor removal. You must have a means (i.e. fan) to move the smoke out of the room, at least when you are done.  In the garage -- ahem, my workshop, I use a fan and leave the garage door open. In my future cigar lounge, it'll be a through-wall fan on a rheostat and timer. For odor removal in the shop, I use a Mammoth Classic Alpine Air Purifier (from Amazon) on a timer; it switches on from 2-3 AM every night. I can smoke 1-2 cigars daily with this setup and in the morning, there are NO smells except the faint lingering odor of ozone, and that disappears as soon as I open the garage door. I do have a RabbitAir in the house, and like it very much and will buy more when the Whirpools crap out, but I haven't tested it in the workshop. I like my current setup, and it's a LOT less expensive than RabbitAir. Also remember you've got to dump ashtrays at the end of a smoking session.
-- c9belayer

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.