Crossbow hunting

Started by AustinMike, 12/12/2017 03:58 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinMike

Do any of you guys shoot a crossbow?  I'm not much of a hunter anymore.  We used to hunt a lot while growing up on my grandparents ranch down in south Texas.  My grandparents are long gone and the ranch was chopped up.  Anyway, I've gotten the itch to pickup a crossbow.  Not exactly sure why, just one of those toys that I've wanted. I did used to shoot a bow in my teenage years, so archery isn't entirely foreign to me.  So the Cabela's ad comes today and there is a crossbow for about $230.  The bow itself gets great reviews and it comes as a kit with everything needed to start shooting.

So my question to you guys is, do I NEED this or should I just keep my money.  I know we don't always NEED more cigars, but you know how that goes. LOL  So to buy or not to buy, that is the question. :biggrin:

05Venturer

Here is what I started with this year since the shoulder isn't liking my regular compound
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

AustinMike

I went and looked at the crossbow last night.  The "new" ad doesn't become active till Friday, so I'll have to wait a couple of days.  They're going to let me shoot it at Cabela's so that's a great thing.
Very nice looking crossbow you've got.  Have you killed anything with it?

AustinMike

Double tap.

McBryde

Which crossbow is it Mike? I've got an EA Sports Boewolf that is a cheaper crossbow but it is really nice.It shoots really smoothly and uses the same pin to 60 yards, then it starts dropping. I wouldn't hesitate to shoot at a deer at100 yards with it.

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

AustinMike

McBryde, here is the one I'm looking at.  http://www.cabelas.com/style/465173.uts

Not the best out there, but great reviews for the price.

McBryde

It doesn't look like a bad crossbow. I will tell you though, if center point makes a crossbow like they make a rifle scope, RUN FAST away from it! If it comes with a center point brand scooe on it, theow that piece of crap in the trash and get a different scope for it! They cannot take vibrations and will start scattering your shots. I've seen multiple center point scopes that have done this from .22 scopes to large rifle scopes of theirs. Even large caliber rifle scopes screwed up from being on a little .22, LOL. They are a POS!

E
"A man's character is told by what he does when nobody else is around."

"Peace is that brief glorious moment in history, when everybody stands around reloading" -- Thomas Jefferson

Cfickter

QuoteMcBryde - 12/19/2017  9:49 PM  It doesn’t look like a bad crossbow. I will tell you though, if center point makes a crossbow like they make a rifle scope, RUN FAST away from it! If it comes with a center point brand scooe on it, theow that piece of crap in the trash and get a different scope for it! They cannot take vibrations and will start scattering your shots. I’ve seen multiple center point scopes that have done this from .22 scopes to large rifle scopes of theirs. Even large caliber rifle scopes screwed up from being on a little .22, LOL. They are a POS!  E

So should I get one?  I am not sure how you feel about this E

Guru Master of the Minions

Alcohol, Tobacco, & Firearms should be a convenience store, not a department of our government!

Gunga galunga ... gunga, gunga-lagunga." - Carl Spackler

Education is important, cigars are importanter!

I like long walks, especially when they're taken by people who annoy me

AustinMike

hershell17

I'm planning to get one (Parker Challenger) from Optics Planet last Christmas but I need to replace my worn out tires that's why I prioritize getting a new of toyo tires before. It's okay though, I've decided to hunt before the 1st quarter of the year ends.
Procrastinating my installation of a new truck bumper. Too hot to stay in the garage.

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.