Filter or No Filter?

Started by AustinMike, 12/13/2017 04:40 PM

Previous topic - Next topic

AustinMike

I don't smoke my pipes nearly as often as I smoke cigars.  I like to mix it up from time to time though.  My question is regarding pipe filters.  Do you guys prefer filter or no filter?  If you use a filter, why do you use one?  I've never bothered to buy filters.

05Venturer

If I do use a "filter" i use balsa wood filters that I make myself. The only reason in my opinion to use on is to control moisture and balsa does that without restricting draw or affecting flavor. JUst my 2 cents.
Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

toby2

not into them. but to each his own. if i get a gurgle i run a cleaner in for a bit.

danb6177

I'm with Toby on this one. I just run a cleaner in there or even cover the bowl and give it a quick whip. I rarely have issues with moisture tho.
I used to sit outside all night and drink bud lite and smoke Marlboros and everyone thought I was a bum. Now I sit outside all night and drink craft beers and smoke cigars and everyone thinks I have class.
-----
Money cant buy happiness but it CAN buy cigars

05Venturer

Kent
 Guru of Cynicism & Cigars

"Pump the brakes; you take your shirt off but leave your sunglasses on?" "What sort of backwards !@#$ing pageantry is that?" "You going to fight with those shades or play pokerstars.com?"

gitfiddl

I usually skip the filters, but I've got a some filter pipes (a few cobs and two Butz-Choquin pipes come to mind) on which the draw is just too free without a filter, regardless of how I pack the bowl.  In those I use the balsa filters.
Self-appointed Guru of Pass Container Sizing,  All Things Midgetly Stripperish, and general "Stirrer of the Puddin'".

Otter

Quotetoby2 - 12/13/2017  9:35 PM

not into them. but to each his own. if i get a gurgle i run a cleaner in for a bit.

Dittos
R, Otter
------------------------------------------------------
Certified Retail Tobacconist
CRA Ambassador #0264
Twitter: @GeekCoefficient
Instagram: Geekcoefficient
https://www.facebook.com/groups/cigargeeks/

My Virtual Humidor: http://tinyurl.com/a9umtsr

bstessl

QuoteOtter - 12/14/2017  7:40 AM
Quotetoby2 - 12/13/2017  9:35 PMnot into them. but to each his own. if i get a gurgle i run a cleaner in for a bit.
Dittos
Triple...  my experience is really low though
Smoking cigarettes is a habit, smoking a cigar is an event. - Brad Paisley

Privacy Policy     Terms of Service
Copyright © 2007-2024 Cigar Geeks, Inc. All rights reserved.